Toho Kaiju Multiverse - Timelines

Toho listed Godzilla vs. Megaguirus as part of the same continuity as the original, but obviously Godzilla dies in the original while he survives in the GvM timeline. I just assume that in that timeline, Emiko never told Hideo about the Oxygen Destroyer.

With the Kiryu timeline, I just assume Godzilla's skeleton was taken by the ocean's current rather than disintegrated since that timeline continues from the original. It's an acceptable retcon.

I'm going to wait for my copies of Rodan, Varan, and Frankenstein vs. Baragon to come before attempting anything after Mothra. By the way, I am absolutely rubbish at Japanese days and months. I can't tell the difference, but I'll try.

Toho listed Godzilla vs. Megaguirus as part of the same continuity as the original, but obviously Godzilla dies in the original while he survives in the GvM timeline. I just assume that in that timeline, Emiko never told Hideo about the Oxygen Destroyer.

With the Kiryu timeline, I just assume Godzilla's skeleton was taken by the ocean's current rather than disintegrated since that timeline continues from the original. It's an acceptable retcon.
I just heard that there is like a shot that is slightly edited when a flashback to Godzilla's death is shown that shows the skeleton remaining or something (I haven't seen the movie). It that is true I could just put the flashback in the part of the movie that it "replaces" and just put Godzilla (1954) in the viewing order.

I like to separate days when they are clearly not the same, even if there is not date given. Just in case that there is a microscopical chance that some future work some day would reveal more about the date, so it would be easier to edit all at once.

Is The Gransazers canon to the Kiryu series? Weird.

Damn. Probably best to ignore it for now since there's lots of Toho Kaiju timelines. It's another variant of the Toho universe I guess.

I like to separate days when they are clearly not the same, even if there is not date given. Just in case that there is a microscopical chance that some future work some day would reveal more about the date, so it would be easier to edit all at once.
I personally don't like to do this because I think it looks a little messy, but alright. Here's my take on the King of the Monsters! film. The order of events are very different to the original, so certainly a different continuity rather than a sidestory like some people theorise. Honestly kinda a bastardization

Fun fact, the Earth-616 Godzilla first attacked in 1956 (King of the Monsters! release date) and was trapped in ice (Raids Again). Obviously neither are completely canon to Marvel though - plus, Raids was a different Godzilla anyway.

????
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 2 (0:05:12 - 0:06:39)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 3 (0:06:40 - 0:09:25)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 4 (0:09:26 - 0:10:52)

???? (The Next Day)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 4 (0:10:53 - 0:11:52)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 5 (0:11:53 -
0:14:03)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 6 (0:14:04 - 0:15:37)

???? (The Next Day)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 6 (0:15:38 - 0:18:19)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 7 (0:18:20 - 0:21:28)

???? (The Next Day)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 8 (0:21:29 - 0:25:18)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 9 (0:25:19 - 0:30:06)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 10 (0:30:07 - 0:32:08)

???? (The Next Day)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 11 (0:32:09 - 0:33:57)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 12 (0:33:58 - 0:36:33)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 19 (1:02:58 - 1:04:24)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 12 (0:36:34 - 0:37:40)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 13 (0:37:41 - 0:40:28)

???? (The Next Day)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 13 (0:40:29 - 0:41:20)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 14 (0:41:21 - 0:45:41)

???? (The Next Day)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 15 (0:45:42 - 0:48:27)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 16 (0:48:28 - 0:53:57)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 17 (0:53:58 - 0:59:09)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 18 (0:59:10 - 1:01:24)

Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 1 (0:00:00 - 0:02:30)

???? (The Next Day)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 1 (0:02:31 - 0:05:11)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 19 (1:01:25 - 1:02:57)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 19 (1:02:58 - 1:04:24)
(Audio Only)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 19 (1:04:25 - 1:04:57)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 20 (1:04:58 - 1:11:07)

????
Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Chapter 21 (1:11:08 - 1:19:21)

King Kong Escapes
Canon to
-Godzilla Shōwa Era Universe
-Godzilla Kiryu Series Universe
Release Date
-1967/07/22
Placement Notes
-
Other Notes
-It seems more like a reboot of King Kong (based in The King Kong Show) that doesn't seem to fit so nicely in the continuity, but the wiki says that Godzilla Encyclopedia [New Edition] places it in the Shōwa Universe.
The Gorosaurus appears in Destroy All Monsters after appearing in King Kong Escapes. King Kong is likely a smaller member of the same species that the version from King Kong vs. Godzilla was. The Gorosaurus also appeared in Go! Godman (as did the Kamoebas from Space Amoeba) but apparently that show isn't canon to anything else because they were just reusing the suits for it or something.

Toho is just weirdly selective for what "counts" as canon I guess.

Last edited:
The Gorosaurus appears in Destroy All Monsters after appearing in King Kong Escapes. King Kong is likely a smaller member of the same species that the version from King Kong vs. Godzilla was. The Gorosaurous also appeared in Go! Godman (as did the Kamoebas from Space Amoeba) but apparently that show isn't canon to anything else because they were just reusing the suits for it or something.

Toho is just weirdly selective for what "counts" as canon I guess.
Yes, Minilla also appears as a monster created by the villain that is destroyed or something in Go! Greenman
Seems that lots of things that are canon to the Kyriu series or to Destroy All Monters are just "the character originated in that movie, so must be canon" (but strangely doesn't seem to apply to Godzilla Final Wars).

Do you want to continue this thread? Since I am not so interested in King Kong/Godzilla right now, I haven't really watched most of the movies yet and I am honestly not planning of spending around 180€ on the Criterion Collection on the foreseeable future.
Would you mind if I make a Showa thread myself and you can add it to this timeline afterwards? I'll add the breakdown of days for you as well so that it's consistent.

Would you mind if I make a Showa thread myself and you can add it to this timeline afterwards? I'll add the breakdown of days for you as well so that it's consistent.
If you do that, just do it as you usually do, I would just put a link to it as I have done with Megatron's Monsterverse Timeline

Last edited:
If you do that, just do it as you usually do, I would just put a link to it as I have done with Megatron's Monsterverse Timeline
Or I could copy the Monsterverse Timeline here and just transform this into a Multiverse Timeline and/or some short of Timeline Hub of Toho/King Kong Timelines

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back