Is Marvel selling ads on characters' clothing?

E

Excelsior Club
I noticed something when reading Deathlok #1 and Punisher #11 (both by Nathan Edmondson, incidently).

I've never seen logos of actual clothing companies on clothing like this before. That's Under Armour in the Deathlok panel and Pura Vida in the Punisher panel (I had to Google that one and see if it was an actual clothing company).

Any time you see logos like that they are altered slightly so as to either avoid trademark infringement or endorsement.

It's interesting to me because I'm surprised they haven't started doing stuff like this sooner, assuming that's what it is. Inconspicuous product placement.

Luke Cage had Under Armor on in a comic I was reading the other day. New comic too. I really hope the Netflix one doesn't have that.

I noticed something when reading Deathlok #1 and Punisher #11 (both by Nathan Edmondson, incidently).

I've never seen logos of actual clothing companies on clothing like this before. That's Under Armour in the Deathlok panel and Pura Vida in the Punisher panel (I had to Google that one and see if it was an actual clothing company).

Any time you see logos like that they are altered slightly so as to either avoid trademark infringement or endorsement.

It's interesting to me because I'm surprised they haven't started doing stuff like this sooner, assuming that's what it is. Inconspicuous product placement.

It makes sense that they would, but I haven't seen it in any of the more mainstream comics. That and the fact that your two examples were both by the same guy makes me doubt they're doing it for revenue.

Last edited:
It makes sense that they would, but I haven't seen it in any of the more mainstream comics. That and the fact that your two examples were both by the same guy makes me doubt they're doing it for revenue.

I don't think it has anything to do with the writer. I just mentioned that as being a coincidence.

It's not like Edmondson is a super hot writer that companies want to advertise in his books specifically, and there's no way Marvel would let him sell an ad like that in a book.

Latest posts

Back