Ultimate Marvel Timeline / Chronology (v 5.0)

Hey there Timeline Guy! :D
Just letting you know that Inhumans: Attilan Rising and Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos are also taking place in the Kingdom of Manhattan, which is essentially, Earth-616 and Earth-1610. :D
Or maybe is there a reason you did not include that part of the Battleworlds? :D

Hey there Timeline Guy! :D
Just letting you know that Inhumans: Attilan Rising and Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos are also taking place in the Kingdom of Manhattan, which is essentially, Earth-616 and Earth-1610. :D
Or maybe is there a reason you did not include that part of the Battleworlds? :D

Yeah. The way I'm approaching it is that the Ultimate universe (as well as the 616 universe) ended, and now there is just Battleworld (at least until the Secret Wars series is over).

It's a different reality than the Ultimate or 616 universe. Basically the approach I'm taking is any Ultimate characters that show up in the spin offs, I'll include those (but in gray italicized text to show it occurs in a separate reality from the Ultimate verse). As far as I know, outside of the Secret Wars main title and the Ultimate End series, no Ultimate characters have shown up in any of the other spin off titles (if so let me know).

But yeah, the Ultimate universe will cease to exist at the end of Ultimate End #5. I'll still include the Secret Wars series since that's sort of the epilogue to the Ultimate universe, even though it's technically a separate reality the Ultimate characters (and 616 characters) were all drawn into.

If any Ultimate characters appear in any of the spin off titles, let me know and I'll include those.

Will do, I plan on reading them all! :)

By the way, I'm currently at Divided We Fall, United We Stand in reading your timeline! Wonderful work my friend! :D

I just wanted to say thanks for doing this! I've been following these threads for a few months ever since I started to get nostalgic and collect all the hardcovers to the early "phase one" part of Ultimate marvel that I thought was super consistent and well-connected. I've had to do a lot of head canon and delusion, and subtraction to get it to work (like pretending Ultimate Power and Ultimatum didn't happen, or that they did but use inference and imagination to fill it in). I just wanted to drop a couple of my biggest continuity issues that I had to overcome with mad denial (most of which have been mentioned already):

1. The Ultimate Origins scene where Hulk "injures" the Parker parents. It's pretty sad that Bendis screwed this up because in the War of the Symbiotes story he had *just* referenced that VHS flashback scene again. Ultimate Origins reeks of retconning all over the place to me, like this means that Banner and Betty have been dating and not married for 15 years? Possible but ...
2. How War of the Symbiotes references the Rhino fight from the Annual even though the next day Peter is talking to Mary Jane as if they're still close despite being broken up. To be fair the Annual scene could have a fairly large gap between the Rhino fight and the next Peter Parker scene but it's still really unfortunate. I hear this might be because it was referenced in the video game?
3. Floating timeline issues, like USM taking the place over a year while everything else seems to take longer. Like Carol Danvers' hair growing to full length in the case of a month or two. She could be wearing a wig of course or have some super hair growth formula.
4. In the first UFF story Franklin Storm references the Ultimates, even though the UFF was referenced in Ultimates #2. I think this is fine, in my head canon I imagine the Ultimates were announced as PR first, and then the F4 get their powers and the Ultimates are referred to abstractly even though they haven't been formally assembled yet.
5. In UFF#1 the flashbacks say 21 years ago implying that Reed is 21 years old but in Ultimate Galactus Trilogy Reed says he is 18 when asked.
6. Ultimate Doomsday had a bunch, small and large, and also plot holes. Like Wasp appearing in the last spread even though Jan is dead (retroactively referred to as Red Wasp even though it's clearly Jan), and a random panel flashback to Ultimate Power where Wolverine is in his 616 costume as well as the others. Also everyone referring to Nick Fury as thought dead, even though most of them should know he was not dead due to the events of Ultimate Avengers 1.
7. I drop Kirkman's X-men from my headcanon and stop at BKV's run because of how botched Apocalypse got, but all of the Peter Parker/Kitty interactions outside of USM are really baffling when they are not supposed to be dating anymore. The fact that in UXM Kitty leaves the X-Men when Prof. X dies but in USM claims it was because Xavier kicked her out is a little baffling.
8. The worst one I have trouble stomaching is the USM Requiem #2, with the Hulk rampaging on the bridge. I've tried to think about it as happening after the Ultimate Origins/Marvel Team-up incident or being Ben Urich's version of the events but neither sits well with me.

I really like the first phase of Ultimate Marvel because of its consistency, so it's just too tempting to try to glue it all together in my mind so it stays consistent. I'm glad to be here where other continuity nerds like me can be here and not judge *too* much.

I just wanted to say thanks for doing this! I've been following these threads for a few months ever since I started to get nostalgic and collect all the hardcovers to the early "phase one" part of Ultimate marvel that I thought was super consistent and well-connected. I've had to do a lot of head canon and delusion, and subtraction to get it to work (like pretending Ultimate Power and Ultimatum didn't happen, or that they did but use inference and imagination to fill it in). I just wanted to drop a couple of my biggest continuity issues that I had to overcome with mad denial (most of which have been mentioned already):

1. The Ultimate Origins scene where Hulk "injures" the Parker parents. It's pretty sad that Bendis screwed this up because in the War of the Symbiotes story he had *just* referenced that VHS flashback scene again. Ultimate Origins reeks of retconning all over the place to me, like this means that Banner and Betty have been dating and not married for 15 years? Possible but ...
2. How War of the Symbiotes references the Rhino fight from the Annual even though the next day Peter is talking to Mary Jane as if they're still close despite being broken up. To be fair the Annual scene could have a fairly large gap between the Rhino fight and the next Peter Parker scene but it's still really unfortunate. I hear this might be because it was referenced in the video game?
3. Floating timeline issues, like USM taking the place over a year while everything else seems to take longer. Like Carol Danvers' hair growing to full length in the case of a month or two. She could be wearing a wig of course or have some super hair growth formula.
4. In the first UFF story Franklin Storm references the Ultimates, even though the UFF was referenced in Ultimates #2. I think this is fine, in my head canon I imagine the Ultimates were announced as PR first, and then the F4 get their powers and the Ultimates are referred to abstractly even though they haven't been formally assembled yet.
5. In UFF#1 the flashbacks say 21 years ago implying that Reed is 21 years old but in Ultimate Galactus Trilogy Reed says he is 18 when asked.
6. Ultimate Doomsday had a bunch, small and large, and also plot holes. Like Wasp appearing in the last spread even though Jan is dead (retroactively referred to as Red Wasp even though it's clearly Jan), and a random panel flashback to Ultimate Power where Wolverine is in his 616 costume as well as the others. Also everyone referring to Nick Fury as thought dead, even though most of them should know he was not dead due to the events of Ultimate Avengers 1.
7. I drop Kirkman's X-men from my headcanon and stop at BKV's run because of how botched Apocalypse got, but all of the Peter Parker/Kitty interactions outside of USM are really baffling when they are not supposed to be dating anymore. The fact that in UXM Kitty leaves the X-Men when Prof. X dies but in USM claims it was because Xavier kicked her out is a little baffling.
8. The worst one I have trouble stomaching is the USM Requiem #2, with the Hulk rampaging on the bridge. I've tried to think about it as happening after the Ultimate Origins/Marvel Team-up incident or being Ben Urich's version of the events but neither sits well with me.

I really like the first phase of Ultimate Marvel because of its consistency, so it's just too tempting to try to glue it all together in my mind so it stays consistent. I'm glad to be here where other continuity nerds like me can be here and not judge *too* much.

Glad you enjoy it!

And yes, there are a number of continuity screw ups and problems in the Ultimate Marvel universe, some due to simple ignorance, some due to poorly handled retconning, etc.

I try to solve those that can be solved by breaking up issues, but most of the problems can't be solved, unfortunately.

Anyway, I'll finally be done with the Ultimate timeline in the next couple months.

And with Secret Wars #9 and the end of the Ultimate Universe, the Ultimate Marvel Timeline/Chronology is now finally complete.

*Applauds*

This is what brought me to this site as a lurker back in 2005 and then as a member a few years later.

I'm proud of you/incredulous/sort of horrified that you stuck with it till the end!

Good job DIB, now you should have plenty of time to catch up on Transformers :)

*Applauds*

This is what brought me to this site as a lurker back in 2005 and then as a member a few years later.

Yeah, my milkshake brought all the boys to the yard.

I'm proud of you/incredulous/sort of horrified that you stuck with it till the end!

Yeah the past 8 years or so have been rough.

Good job DIB, now you should have plenty of time to catch up on Transformers :)

Time hasn't been the problem so much as motivation. ;)

Last edited:
And with Secret Wars #9 and the end of the Ultimate Universe, the Ultimate Marvel Timeline/Chronology is now finally complete.

Nice job. Sad to see it end.

nice job. Sad to see it end.

says who!?

XoaOuWy.jpg

Last edited:
says who!?

Hmmmmm... you'll have to let me know if they actually have Ultimate Reed show up and recreate the Ultimate Universe. Wouldn't surprise me, Marvel comics are getting their behinds handed to them by DC in sales and critical acclaim--which is a weird inversion of the film side of the business--so are trying a bunch of weird desperate crap to attract readers back.

Last edited:
Jimmy came back and then this happened

The Ultimate universe is alive and well in 616-8

1EjW7ge.jpg

AL EWING (W) • TRAVEL FOREMAN (A/C)
VARIANT COVER by MARK BAGLEY
Kirby 100th Anniversary Variant Cover by JACK KIRBY A double-sized issue celebrating ULTIMATES #100!
• Eternity is free – but can even he stand against the might of the First Firmament?
• Or does the embodiment of everything need help...from Outside?
• Featuring the Ultimates and...the Ultimates?
40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

Last edited:
But the Ultimate universe is dead. That's why timeline ended. Wasn't going to chronicle the Ultimate characters in 616 universe, as then it's essentially just a 616 timeline with certain stipulations. If I took this approach, I'd be including all the appearances of those various characters in 616, which means reading 616 comics, which is something I have zero interest in. I didn't even have interest in Ultimate universe towards end, as it had gotten so bad and far removed from where it started and what it was intended to do, I only kept reading out of obligation to finish the timeline. And it's done.

Unless the Ultimate universe itself is reborn, the Ultimate timeline is done.

But the Ultimate universe is dead. That's why timeline ended. Wasn't going to chronicle the Ultimate characters in 616 universe, as then it's essentially just a 616 timeline with certain stipulations. If I took this approach, I'd be including all the appearances of those various characters in 616, which means reading 616 comics, which is something I have zero interest in. I didn't even have interest in Ultimate universe towards end, as it had gotten so bad and far removed from where it started and what it was intended to do, I only kept reading out of obligation to finish the timeline. And it's done.

Unless the Ultimate universe itself is reborn, the Ultimate timeline is done.

You really think they're just gonna have two Quicksilvers running around in one universe? Rev up that timeline

Yes. Or they'll just kill one off. I mean, they have two Spider-Men (and Thor, and multiple other surviving doppelgängers of 616 characters) so...

Guess we'll find out in Ultimates²

Latest posts

Back