Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

There might be a slight problem with the 24-hours thing. Last night took place during the day (day after Maw and Cull in NY) but then there's an establishing shot of a quintet getting to the lighthouse and the sun is setting. You can ignore it, but it's already conflicting with the clock in Fury's car, so maybe it's best to split up IW like this:

Day 1: Maw and Cull attack Dr. Strange
Night 1: (AOS 5x19-20) Cap rescues Vision. Everyone flies back to their secret base, presumably in Lebanon and gets some sleep.
Day 2: (AOS 5x21) Fly to Avengers HQ.
Night 2: Fly to Wakanda, get there in morning.
Day 3: (AOS 5x22) The snap.

This more or less works if you pad the time every one was traveling (to Titan, Nidavellir, Knowhere). And sorry if this is just a less detailed breakdown of what Agamotto posted the other day. It's a supreme pain in the ass trying to read spoiler tags on my phone.

There might be a slight problem with the 24-hours thing. Last night took place during the day (day after Maw and Cull in NY) but then there's an establishing shot of a quintet getting to the lighthouse and the sun is setting. You can ignore it, but it's already conflicting with the clock in Fury's car, so maybe it's best to split up IW like this:

Night 1: (AOS 5x19-20) Cap rescues Vision. Everyone flies back to their secret base, presumably in Lebanon and gets some sleep.

This more or less works if you pad the time every one was traveling (to Titan, Nidavellir, Knowhere). And sorry if this is just a less detailed breakdown of what Agamotto posted the other day. It's a supreme pain in the ass trying to read spoiler tags on my phone.

Only problem with this approach is it creates a rather large plot hole.

Remember, in the film, when Cap, Widow, and the others save Vision and Wanda, they know they're after Vision's Infinity Stone, and are obviously in a hurry to get to Avengers HQ to get Vision to a more secured position. They even establish on the Quinjet immediately after they rescue Vision and Wanda that they're heading to the HQ. There's no logical reason for them to stop and rest and increase odds of Thanos getting the Stone. Same with Wakanda. Again, it's a race against time, and it would run counter to the character motivations and overall plot to assume.

It also creates potential issues with the flow of the other plotlines, but since they're off planet it's impossible to discern a specific time span outside of how it corresponds to the other scenes set on Earth.

Based on Jed Whedon's response, it seems like he's indirectly admitting they screwed up on the timeline a bit, probably specifically to the day/night cycle in relation to Wakanda and time zone differences. I'm sure at least a few hardcore fans noticed that discrepancy.

All that said your suggestion may end up being best approach. I'll let the last episode air and that way I can better map out those last four episodes against the film.

Watching the episode I noticed
When Talbot visits the hospital the time is 23:34 or something like that, I know the hour is right, but I'm not sure about the minute value. But when Talbot visits his son, it is daylight out, but more than likely very early morning given that is his first seen stop after the hospital, so if we rounded that to a good six or seven AM taking into account that sunrise you mentioned, that still gives the finale (Which I'm sure will pick up immediately after this episode) about three or four hours to do the deed.

Only problem with this approach is it creates a rather large plot hole.

Remember, in the film, when Cap, Widow, and the others save Vision and Wanda, they know they're after Vision's Infinity Stone, and are obviously in a hurry to get to Avengers HQ to get Vision to a more secured position. They even establish on the Quinjet immediately after they rescue Vision and Wanda that they're heading to the HQ. There's no logical reason for them to stop and rest and increase odds of Thanos getting the Stone. Same with Wakanda. Again, it's a race against time, and it would run counter to the character motivations and overall plot to assume.

It also creates potential issues with the flow of the other plotlines, but since they're off planet it's impossible to discern a specific time span outside of how it corresponds to the other scenes set on Earth.

I totally agree the movie works better as just one day. Just throwing up no-prizes.

But like Hitchcock said, movies are just like life but without the boring parts. Maybe Cap left the stove on in Lebanon, Tony/Peter/Strange had a sleepover on the Q-ship, the Guardians combed over Knowhere looking for clues and Rocket made a wrong turn in Shi'ar Space and added a day to Thor's quest.

We also have no idea how long Thanos was unconscious after acquiring the Soul Stone. Which would just mean everyone waited around a long time ready to spring the ambush on Titan.

Based on Jed Whedon's response, it seems like he's indirectly admitting they screwed up on the timeline a bit, probably specifically to the day/night cycle in relation to Wakanda and time zone differences. I'm sure at least a few hardcore fans noticed that discrepancy.

All that said your suggestion may end up being best approach. I'll let the last episode air and that way I can better map out those last four episodes against the film.

Agreed. We'll see next Friday!

When Talbot visits the hospital the time is 23:34 or something like that, I know the hour is right, but I'm not sure about the minute value. But when Talbot visits his son, it is daylight out, but more than likely very early morning given that is his first seen stop after the hospital, so if we rounded that to a good six or seven AM taking into account that sunrise you mentioned, that still gives the finale (Which I'm sure will pick up immediately after this episode) about three or four hours to do the deed.

This is all correct except you're forgetting that the episode ends around dusk. It honestly doesn't make any sense being that late, so maybe we can chalk it up to an errant establishing shot.

I'm wondering if this could all be fixed by just assuming Candyman was talking about something else in episode 19. That would just mean the Confederacy somehow knew Thanos was coming even before he attacked Asgard.

Last edited:
I totally agree the movie works better as just one day. Just throwing up no-prizes.

But like Hitchcock said, movies are just like life but without the boring parts. Maybe Cap left the stove on in Lebanon, Tony/Peter/Strange had a sleepover on the Q-ship, the Guardians combed over Knowhere looking for clues and Rocket made a wrong turn in ShiÂ'ar Space and added a day to ThorÂ's quest.

We also have no idea how long Thanos was unconscious after acquiring the Soul Stone. Which would just mean everyone waited around a long time ready to spring the ambush on Titan.

Agreed. WeÂ'll see next Friday!

This is all correct except youÂ're forgetting that the episode ends around dusk. It honestly doesnÂ't make any sense being that late, so maybe we can chalk it up to an errant establishing shot.

IÂ'm wondering if this could all be fixed by just assuming Candyman was talking about something else in episode 19. That would just mean the Confederacy somehow knew Thanos was coming even before he attacked Asgard.

I think the shot I attached is the one you are referring to, and if that it is the case it looks to me to be more dawn than dusk. And if they arrive at dawn, I know what you're thinking, the sun was already up for Mack and Yo Yo, how could it be dawn? Thanks for asking, me. Probably because
Thematically they wanted there not to be a bridge between Coulson fainting and the cliffhanger ending
So, honestly it's probably just a bit out of order for pacing purposes I would look at it as
Mack and YoYo leave to get Talbot--Deke and May make it back (Mack YoYo not shown)--Daisy and Coulson land (I assume they pass him off to FitSimmons to stabilize him and run tests--May comes in to check on him--Simultaneously to the tests being performed Mack and YoYo have their encounter with Talbot around 6 or 7ish (Totally spotted Virginia license plates in that scene, so good call whoever said that's where the Talbot's live)--(This is complete assumption) Some one picks up Mack and YoYo from Virginia (due to the fact that their vehicles are destroyed and Davis has the plane--When those two return to base everyone has the discussion on what to do about Coulson and Talbot

That's just what I'm thinkin'. Plus,I'm not entirely sure what else the Candyman would be talking about. He references aliens in New York..that just feels really...specific.

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-12%20at%205.47.51%20PM_zpsbnukukka.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Sorry for the blurry picture. It's only 480p. But it's at about the 38-39 mark on Hulu if anyone is interested in a 1080 look

Last edited:
I think the shot I attached is the one you are referring to, and if that it is the case it looks to me to be more dawn than dusk. And if they arrive at dawn, I know what you're thinking, the sun was already up for Mack and Yo Yo, how could it be dawn? Thanks for asking, me. Probably because
Thematically they wanted there not to be a bridge between Coulson fainting and the cliffhanger ending
So, honestly it's probably just a bit out of order for pacing purposes I would look at it as
Mack and YoYo leave to get Talbot--Deke and May make it back (Mack YoYo not shown)--Daisy and Coulson land (I assume they pass him off to FitSimmons to stabilize him and run tests--May comes in to check on him--Simultaneously to the tests being performed Mack and YoYo have their encounter with Talbot around 6 or 7ish (Totally spotted Virginia license plates in that scene, so good call whoever said that's where the Talbot's live)--(This is complete assumption) Some one picks up Mack and YoYo from Virginia (due to the fact that their vehicles are destroyed and Davis has the plane--When those two return to base everyone has the discussion on what to do about Coulson and Talbot

This could work. I'll have to rewatch and see.

I have to disagree about the dusk/dawn thing though. Definitely looks like PM, color wise. Plus the little bit of sun showing itself is on the right. The lighthouse is in NY and the ocean/East is on the left. Therefore the sun is setting.

Last edited:

I have to disagree about the dusk/dawn thing though. Definitely looks like PM, color wise. Plus the little bit of sun showing itself is on the right. The lighthouse is in NY and the ocean/East is on the left. Therefore the sun is setting.

I thought the Lighthouse was in Lake Ontario, Canada?

Is it safe to say there is a good chance no one will fade out in AoS? Given that it's highly probable that time will be revered to bring people back, it will be as if it never happened at all, thus not having an effect on any show. Don't see this notion get acknowledged any where online

Is it safe to say there is a good chance no one will fade out in AoS? Given that it's highly probable that time will be revered to bring people back, it will be as if it never happened at all, thus not having an effect on any show. Don't see this notion get acknowledged any where online

I'm not sure if there is a good chance no one will fade out, but I agree it's possible. If Thanos' snap kills half of the universe randomly, it's possible that it either affects half of the cast of AoS, all of them, none of them, or a few of them.

Last edited:

Then I don't know, but I just can't wrap my head around them being on that ship for a full day. We'll just have to wait for next week, which seems to have day time footage, so if it's dusk, they're waiting like 12 hours to act. Which is odd. But I'm sure there will be a big ol'
SNAP
next episode and then we can date it backwards. Which is always easier.

Damn, got me. River's End is in NY, but I never realized it was on Lake Ontario (always thought it was closer to NYC, I guess from Noah saying "an Asgardian in the city".) So from that still, the sun either would come up on the right or straight in front of the camera. So the "pacing purposes" theory might still hold up.

Last edited:
Damn, got me. River's End is in NY, but I never realized it was on Lake Ontario. So from that still, the sun either would come up on the right or straight in front of the camera. So the "pacing purposes" theory might still hold up.

I know nothing of sunrises and sunsets or basic navigation so this is all going right over my head. But I did some digging and the light house that they shoot those scenes at is actually located in Maine, but I'm not sure if they would manipulate it or whatever to convey what they are trying to convey.

I know nothing of sunrises and sunsets or basic navigation so this is all going right over my head. But I did some digging and the light house that they shoot those scenes at is actually located in Maine, but I'm not sure if they would manipulate it or whatever to convey what they are trying to convey.

If it's filmed in Maine, that supports my initial findings of the sun actually setting. But I think your pacing/editing idea is the best way to look at it, since it would be a fairly short trip for Coulson to get there. Or just pretend it was fully light out lol.

If it's filmed in Maine, that supports my initial findings of the sun actually setting. But I think your pacing/editing idea is the best way to look at it, since it would be a fairly short trip for Coulson to get there. Or just pretend it was fully light out lol.

Either way, we will probably know next week when the show
rips our hearts out again.

I'm not sure if there is a good chance no one will fade out, but I agree it's possible. If Thanos' snap kills half of the universe randomly, it's possible that it either affects half of the cast of AoS, all of them, none of them, or a few of them.

It's not about whether they would fade due to it being a 50/50 chance. But if the movie super heroes reverse time so it was as if Thanos never clicked his fingers and no one faded, then no one in the shows would disappear. The only people that would be aware it happened and remember are those involved in reversing time, assuming they resolve it that way.

It's not about whether they would fade due to it being a 50/50 chance. But if the movie super heroes reverse time so it was as if Thanos never clicked his fingers and no one faded, then no one in the shows would disappear. The only people that would be aware it happened and remember are those involved in reversing time, assuming they resolve it that way.

Sure, but it depends on whether season 6 is made and takes place post-snap, and how they resolve it in Avengers 4. If season 6 does happen and members of the cast die, then season 6 would continue on from there, and if time is reversed in Avengers 4 so that no one ends up dying, I'd assume the same would apply to AoS.

I REEEEEEEEALLLY don't think they are going to run the risk of spoiling Avengers 4 by having nobody fade.Especially since Jed has officiallycomeout and said that the two events are happening simultaneously.

Sure, but it depends on whether season 6 is made and takes place post-snap, and how they resolve it in Avengers 4. If season 6 does happen and members of the cast die, then season 6 would continue on from there, and if time is reversed in Avengers 4 so that no one ends up dying, I'd assume the same would apply to AoS.

But if time is reversed the cast of Shield would not be aware it happened, therefore we would not see it unfold, it would be as if it never happened. Would be a waste of potentially the last season having the same arc twice with a different amount of characters if they did decide to show it.

I REEEEEEEEALLLY don't think they are going to run the risk of spoiling Avengers 4 by having nobody fade.Especially since Jed has officiallycomeout and said that the two events are happening simultaneously.

Same response, if time is reversed in some way, it wouldn't have an effect on the show

Last edited:

Yup, was just about to mention that. I'm still watching episode, but at the 17:15 mark the security camera footage shows it as 23:24:06:19, so 11:24 PM, which corresponds to the fact no outdoor shots are utilized in the episode so far until that point (just interiors on the space ship, bus, Lighthouse, and hospital so far), so that checks out and works. I'll see if there's anything of note later in the episode.

And your reasoning is sound. Hopefully it all ends up working out without a hitch. :)

But like Hitchcock said, movies are just like life but without the boring parts. Maybe Cap left the stove on in Lebanon, Tony/Peter/Strange had a sleepover on the Q-ship, the Guardians combed over Knowhere looking for clues and Rocket made a wrong turn in Shi'ar Space and added a day to Thor's quest.

No doubt, but remember Occam's razor ("In a case of two competing explanations for an occurrence, the simpler one is usually better and the more likely. Another way of saying it is that the more assumptions you have to make, the more unlikely an explanation is."). ;)

Agreed. We'll see next Friday!

Yeah, like I said I think Jed basically indirectly admitted they fudged up the timeline some in that quote confirming it occurs over a 24 hour period. I just think they screwed up the day/night cycle/time of day in regards to that ending dusk shot you mentioned and the time zone factor in relation to the apparent time of day in Wakanda. Thats likely just an unfortunate side effect of aligning the TV show with the film's events, which is hard to pin down since the film is still in editing process and having final touches put on it at the time these episodes were likely written/filmed (probably 3 months back or so, maybe sooner, not sure of the production schedule but the specifics aren't important anyway). That disconnect between the films and TV side is largely inevitable and necessary due to the fact the films change during production, right up to late production, reshoots, and edits, which can sometimes drastically alter a film (Ron Howard reshooting 70% of Solo is a good example), or even in a minor way in terms of how it affects the finished product. The number of days that pass in IW could've been altered from 2 to around 1 in editing process, if perhaps it was originally intended as 2 in original script (perhaps Russos wanted to tighten the timeline up to instill a more apparent sense of urgency?). And the AoS writers may have been going off the shooting script, and not been informed of the change in the editing process. The number of moving parts on all the different productions going on at any one time in the MCU is massive at this point, so mistakes and disconnect and lack of perfect symmetry is to be expected.

Its kind of why I hope Marvel Studios hires a team similar to Lucasfilm's Story Group who keep continuity all in check, but also all the various working parts to ensure plot synergy and merchandising/advertising aspects. And don't forget, the MCU is significantly larger than the rebooted SW universe, so there's more ground to cover and keep track of. Who can monitor all the various productions and ensure they all fit into the puzzle correctly.

We'll see if we can't come up with a workable solution, and if not then we can perhaps chalk it up to timeline shenanigans of the Time Stone... though that would mean the Titan battle when Thanos finally obtains it would have to occur beforehand... which I don't think works either.

Its entirely possible, and something I've seen mentioned in a few places, namely due to the rumors/evidence to support the idea of time travel in A4 from shooting leaks seemingly replicating events of Avengers, time travel approach/alternate or "corrected" timeline is a very real possibility. We'll just have to wait and see next year when it comes out.

That said, I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't tie into events of Infinity War's ending in some way. Especially as release date wise, the show clearly aligning with and paralleling IW has laid groundwork that the events of the film will have direct impact on the show. To NOT address that in the season finale (or series finale depending on if it gets a Season 6) would create a weird and unnecessary disconnect for the audience, and also kind of indirectly spoil how they'd resolve these events in A4.

So, odds are some folks are gonna disappear. All we can do is wait.

It's actually Lake Ontario, New York. So, right on the border with Canada, but its in US, least according to the MCU wiki. The underground structure of the Lighthouse is built under the lake itself, but the lighthouse/entrance itself (and probably entirety of the underground base) is on US side of the border.

Latest posts

Back