Ultimate Fantastic "Meh"

But isn't a more realistic Fantastic Four kinda of a contradiction. The core concept of the FF is, there is no rules, I mean they travel to different dimensions on regular basis, how do you make that more realistic?

But isn't a more realistic Fantastic Four kinda of a contradiction. The core concept of the FF is, there is no rules, I mean they travel to different dimensions on regular basis, how do you make that more realistic?

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but there should be limits to what they can do. Dimension hopping, time traveling, space cruising, all fine in the right context. But, sometimes, things just get silly. Like Reed's mini-mate Ultimates and his imagi-mech. And like Twilight said, bio-engineering should be Sue's forte, not Reed's.

I'm torn on whether Doom should be a sorcerer or not, though. On one hand, magic is out of place when it comes to a sci-fi based book. On the other, it's the perfect counter to Reed's firm scientific stance on the world. Hrm.

Last edited:
Has he said something about it? I don't remember hearing/reading that.

I think Bass was hypothesizing.

Millar rarely pooh poohs anyone publicly.

Indeed.

Although someone I met at the time of his UF4 run, who is very good friends with Millar, expressed to me how much he detested Land's artwork. When I asked, "Why doesn't he say this? Why does he lie on his forums about how great it is to be working with Land" the response was, "He's putting on his professional face."

So yes - Millar hated working with Greg Land. He'd never admit it, but it is true.

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but there should be limits to what they can do.

I agree with this. Because where do you draw the line? Reed can clone people and travel to alternate dimensions but he can't, say, cure the common cold?

Although someone I met at the time of his UF4 run

Right, Adam Hughes. Gotcha.

I agree with this. Because where do you draw the line? Reed can clone people and travel to alternate dimensions but he can't, say, cure the common cold?

That's what this trope is for: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReedRichardsIsUseless

Anyway that's the one rule Stan Lee and Jack Kirby set when they created the FF, the rule is, there are no rules. That's core concept of the FF, how far can get away from the core concept, before the the whole thing becomes FF in name only (like the movies)? I mean really where would you set the limits?

The fact is if you are looking for realism in comics, the FF should never be the place you should look.

Last edited:

For perfectly good reasons.

I remember hearing (either in person from a speaker or a documentary) somewhere that in the Marvel universe, since it's taking place in "our" world, you can't have the superheroes face and win "real world" problems.

It belittles the efforts of the our everyday, real-life counterparts.

The same reason why SHIELD doesn't track down Osama Bin Laden. Or Capt America and the Avengers run on in liberate Korea from Kim Jong Ill. Or even have Reed cure cancer or AIDS or even the common cold.

Once they do that, it takes you outta "our" world and you lose the relevance of the character and their problems.

I like Millar as much as the next guy, but do we have to legitimize his less-than-good performance on UFF with "the artist sucked"?

ProjectX2 said:
I loved Millar's run the most. I even love Land. I don't care that he copies pictures or whatever. It still looks great and that's what matters.

I'm curious as to whether or not you've changed your mind about this.

I'm curious as to whether or not you've changed your mind about this.

Yes. I didn't mind his art on UFF because that was only the second time I had seen it. Since then I've realised not only does he trace but he traces the same images over and over again. At least trace something new!

ProjectX2 said:
Yes. I didn't mind his art on UFF because that was only the second time I had seen it. Since then I've realised not only does he trace but he traces the same images over and over again. At least trace something new!

I actually don't really mind him...it sucks that he traces things but the art worked in the Millar run. I liked how dark it all was.

Latest posts

Back