Ultimate Power artist to be Greg Land

This is unfortunate. Land is a nice poster artist and can draw beautiful women but otherwise, he's absolutely boring... There's very little mood in his artwork.

I can't help but think of artists that can truly capture the feel of the story being told like Steve Epting, David Finch, Alex Maleev, John Cassaday and Bryan Hitch can. These guys are all very different in both style and flair but are heads and tails better than Greg Land...

I did like his art in Phoenix: Endsong but it got boring fast. His is not unlike Frank Cho's work which tends to also be all about buxom women in general.

Consider, if you will, the ultimate cable image used as my avatar. That tells so much about the character and i'm not sure off-hand who drew it but Greg Land's art doesn't hit like that...

Last edited:
Ultimate Houde said:
I'm not a big fan of Greg Land either.

His art is just bland to me

Land is bland?

E said:
Land is bland?

I wouldn't say bland......just overrated as a comic book artist. There's no denial that he makes beautiful books......that final panel of Jean seen thru Scott's eyes in Endsong was just beautiful. But when it comes to his books....they just don't have the right "feel".

Bland is a pretty generic way to describe his art. It's artistically beautiful but lacks something that indicates character and doesn't say enough about what the character is thinking, doing, etc... I find his style very plastic for story telling but makes great covers, posters, etc...

His character art lack in expression. Almost all of his female drawings have the same smile... lips parted ever so slightly.

Last edited:
What I like about Land's drawings are its realistic style.

What I hate is that Land can't seem to draw scared, screaming women. The bimbo Johnny saves looks like she was on a roller coaster than being picked up from an exploding car.

cmdrjanjalani said:

What I hate is that Land can't seem to draw scared, screaming women. The bimbo Johnny saves looks like she was on a roller coaster than being picked up from an exploding car.

My thoughts, exactly. :D

cmdrjanjalani said:

You have a very good point. I love his art, but I do see that he can't seem to draw those kind of faces.

So, I'm betting on those chicks being some kind of Ultimate Serpent Society.

Oh my goodness, how much fun is he gonna have drawing Zarda. Be fair warned that he will have spent some time smelling the pages of his own artwork there.

And Inertia, she's gay, so will he go the 300lb dungaree wearing route or simply only show her in lacy underwear pondering on whether Steve Rogers could be the man to fix her.

His artwork is awful.

So says I.

Latest posts

Back