What is better at revamping characters, the Ultimate Universe or Timm's DCUA?

Which is better at revamping characters?

• Total voters
The Zeta Project and Static Shock also tie into the Timmverse.

thee great one said:
I heard that The Zeta Project died fast and Static sucked so much balls.

Yeah, they bored me too. But the Static episode with Poison Ivy and Batman appearing was fun.

STATIC: Where's Robin?

BATMAN: Off with the Titans...

ProjectX2 said:
Yeah, they bored me too. But the Static episode with Poison Ivy and Batman appearing was fun.

STATIC: Where's Robin?

BATMAN: Off with the Titans...

Their loosley connected.

Doot...

The Timm-Verse rocks my socks...

Brainiac, Mr. Freeze, The Flash, The Question, and The Joker are my five examples of why the DCUA beats out the Ultimate Universe any day...

The Timm-verse made the characters deeper and more functional within the DCU... All the while, it made backgrounds less complex... while the Ultimate characters are sometimes more complex than their originals...

and once again... Mark Hammil as the Joker. Pure Genius.

That's a tough question, in part because I don't watch a lot of the cartoons.
A lot of the cartoon characters I've seen haven't been particularly revamped, but then the ultimate books I don't read (USM + UXM) aren't much of a re-vamp, either. So, on the main, if the question is strictly one of re-imagining characters, neither one is doing a thorough job.
Ultimates and Ultimates 2, though, present a DEFINTE re-creation of the "Avengers." Ultimate FF has been heavily "tweaked" ... and Iron man ... well, let's not talk about iron man.
The DC cartoons I've seen are just really good (usually) stories using the same (or at least very, very similar) characters from the books. I don't see many changes, not that you need to make changes to make something good.
But the question was who is better at revamping.
Ultimates win it on a technicality.

I really like the Batman Beyond stuff…

I like watching Teen Titans with the kids…

And my favorite is that episode of Superman/Batman Adventures (is that right???) where Supes comes up behind Batman and places his hand on Bats shoulder, only to be judo tossed across the room like a ragdoll…

Sweet!

Ultimate Universe By far...the only DCUA shows i ever watched were Justice League and Teen Titans. Loved both but no match for the UU...

the worlds finest site explains it all pretty well. apparently there were two web cartoons that were also timmverse. lobo and gotham girls. lobo is definately not kiddie. i agree with bass that sex and violence don't mean mature.

Last edited:
i can't choose. i like both of them equally. Ultimate Marvel gives us stories with the Marvel characters that doesn't deal with the 616 universe. and DCAU presented a small portion of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns in animated form, which was presented in TALES OF THE DARK KNIGHT.

I am going to place my vote in favor of the UU with the DCAU being a close second.

Bass said:
Exactly. The Timmverse put's so much heart into revamping villains, and not using them as lame and cheap gags, while ADDING to the original. Brainiac and Harley Quinn are primarily good examples of this.
Um Harley Quinn was created in B:TAS and was brought over to the comic books same thing with Renie Montoya, and Livewire among others I believe.

Last edited:
The Timmverse hands down.

There is nothing better or more entertaining than watching a DC cartoon. Well except a woman. :wink:

But yeah---even Bendis at his best on USM can't hold a candle to Batman:TAS. An awesome UXM run??? That's all good...but it can't compare to some of the later episodes of Superman:TAS. UFF? Maybe it could stack up with Justice League, but in the long run it still gets beat out. The only major contender is Ultimates.....but when put up against JLU---it would probably end in a tie.

But in the end...when all the points are added up. The Timmverse wins in entertainment and quality.

Last edited:
Yes, I also love JLU because haven't we all wanted to see that many characters in one TV show? I know I have.....still I voted for Ultimate Marvel :D.

Lithium said:
Ultimate Universe By far...the only DCUA shows i ever watched were Justice League and Teen Titans. Loved both but no match for the UU...

so, in short, you didn't watch the greatest non-comicbook representation of comics ever?

while i think i like the ultimates better than jlu as an ultimization (but only by a little), batman the animated series creams anything the UU has to offer.

also: i don't know if teen titans should be included in the timmverse, because it doesn't have teh same continuity. robin is implied to be dick grayson, but he is still robin. even if it was tim, he would know who nightwing of the future was instead of total non-recognization.

iceman said:
i don't know if teen titans should be included in the timmverse, because it doesn't have teh same continuity. robin is implied to be dick grayson, but he is still robin. even if it was tim, he would know who nightwing of the future was instead of total non-recognization.

True......but right now it's still more entertaining than USM. So it's got my vote.

Last edited:
But in one of the Teen Titans episodes they have Kid Flash voiced by the same guy who does Flash and acts the same.

In JLU, a older verison of Speedy appears looking the same as he did in Titans.

thee great one said:
But in one of the Teen Titans episodes they have Kid Flash voiced by the same guy who does Flash and acts the same.

In JLU, a older verison of Speedy appears looking the same as he did in Titans.

first one means nothing, as its just a voice. then tell me, how is John Stewart Green Lantern, as he is voiced by Marvin from Pulp Fiction and -- ah, man, I shot Marvin in the face.

And Speedy is also noticeably bigger than he is on teen titans. And it's a uniform, a set of clothes. The way Robin is shown (and Robin is the only connection between Teen Titans and any of the other Timmverse shows) makes it impossible for Teen Titans to be in the Timmverse, unless it's a crack dream of the Question, or in the past, pre-Batman TAS days. Even then, it'd still have to be a crack dream, because in Teen Titans Robin is GOD, as compared to how he was in TAS, which was merely competent.

Yeah, Teen Titans is fun, but it doesn't really fit.

Latest posts

Back