Animal Man

So, holy ****. I just finished reading the introductory storyline for Animal Man, and I'm blown away. There will be much to say later, but for now I'll just mention that it has the most adorably drawn kittens I've ever seen in my life.

So, back on topic (in a roundabout way).

Superboy Prime punching a wall is funny, because I just read DC One Million, which seemed a lot like Moore's outlined format for the crossover storyline and a good idea of what to expect out of Final Crisis, and he used the Superman-punching-reality-walls theory and actually made it sound kind of cool.

Not that I'm saying Superboy Prime punching things out of existence was not lame. terribly lame.

Anyway, I stayed up all night reading all of Grant Morrison's Animal Man. It was brilliant. beautiful.

But this proves it wrong.

Last edited:
23av0.jpg

Last edited:
More people should read Animal Man.

I'm reading it now. I'm about 9 issues in. This is my first read-through except for the first 4 issues.

The cartoon coyote thing was brilliant.

I enjoyed it.

I one thing though, the Limbo characters in this series are similar/the same the the Limbo characters in the Superman Final Crisis story.

Last edited:
Ultimate Houde said:
I one thing though, the Limbo characters in this series are similar/the same the the Limbo characters in the Superman Final Crisis story.

Down to Mr Grant Morrison who wrote both, and if you like meta textual writing once you get to #23-25 then it gets really groovy (plus issue 24 has one of my favourite covers)

My brother just bought issues 1-80 for £40! Complete run all in great condition, I never seem to get deals like that

That's a pretty good deal! I really enjoy Morrison's run on ANIMAL MAN. His run on DOOM PATROL is awesome too. I genuinely think these are his best works. JLA is a close second/third.

I just finished Grant Morrison's run...pretty trippy.

I wasn't sure what I thought about him writing himself into the comic as I heard about it before I read it, but it was probably the best way to handle something like that. I didn't think it was cheesy or anything, and it was kind of cool to see that in the context of what he did with Zatanna in Seven Soldiers. And it was nice to see him get his family back at the end. I couldn't believe when they were killed off in the first place.

I didn't care for most of the art.

Yeah, I think the 4th-wall breaking works in ANIMAL MAN. It's rare it's done well.

Really? I found it disappointing. It just struck me as blunt and entirely inelegant, the kind of ending a college kid would tack on to a story. I thought everything leading up to that last issue was great, but the finale just left a sour taste in my mouth. A lot of the fourth wall breaking stuff he's done since then has really appealed to me, though.

Latest posts

Back