"Young Ultimates": SHIELD training super-powered minors?

ourchair said:
I figured that much out. Isn't "Q" supposed to be "queer"? (And I don't mean that term in any derogatory sense).
Nah, all of them are queer. Well, except for the Questioning people. They don't know what they are yet. LOL.
thee great one said:
You don't understand it a good idea to have the Ultimate New Ultimates because Bendis can put Wolverine on the team. Wolverine just isn't Wolverine till he on more than 1 team. Then because Bendis is writing Ultimates. Miller can write a mini involving Wolverine. The Ultimates Disassembled is a good idea because that way Scarlet Witch will actually do something other than grinding with her brother. :lol:
You're joking, right? Go sit down, read the entire story behind the Avengers Disassembled, and then try this again.

jtg3885 said:
You're joking, right? Go sit down, read the entire story behind the Avengers Disassembled, and then try this again.

I'm just joking. I did find the Avengers Disassembled story to be pretty entertaining. I do like the 616 universe. I buy Wolverine's solo series and a couple of the X-men books. Even through he's everywhere Wolverine still is one of my favorite characters. But back to the subjet. I don't see why Spider-Man in the Ultimates because of the New Avengers. But I don't think it would be a good idea.

Im saying that Fury has some team to just check out suspected targets (newspaper stories and such).

And didn't they say somewhere in the ultimate universe that they only wanted non-mutants to join the Ultimates cuz its a government thing?

i think it would be funny if they tried to get Elektra to join the ultimates, shes a non-mutant, trained in the fighting arts, and has a cool uniform and shes 20 something.

jtg3885 said:
Nah, all of them are queer. Well, except for the Questioning people. They don't know what they are yet. LOL.
Well, actually the term "queer" under a Judith Butler-esque context is completely different from being a catch all term for all individuals who are non-heterosexual or gender transgressive. Which means "queer" shouldn't be mistakenly interchanged with "gay and lesbian".

"Queer" suggests a fluid and unstable identity that denies one that is fixed or rigidly defined. To put it simply, queer means that the individual acknowledges that gender and sexuality are constantly in a state of flux and that these aspects of ourselves are performative. (i.e. "I am a heterosexual insofar as I am a heterosexual NOW, even if that may change.)

A nice short explanation of Judith Butler, one of the pioneers of queer theory, is written here: http://www.geneseo.edu/~bicket/panop/author_B.htm#BUTLER

Hm. There's something strangely ironic about writing this post with a "Hulk Straight!" avatar.

thee great one said:
I don't see why Spider-Man in the Ultimates because of the New Avengers. But I don't think it would be a good idea.
You do actually READ Ultimate Spider-Man, right? We've known Peter was slated for the Ultimates since November 2002, when it was announced in... USM #27, I believe it was? Having only trades makes it harder to pin down which issue it belongs in, but it is part of that arc, and near the end, hence my guess of that issue. Avengers Disassembled's prequels started in June 2004, and New Avengers was published starting January 2005. We've known this was coming for over two years prior to the New Avengers. They're not at all connected.

nigma said:
And didn't they say somewhere in the ultimate universe that they only wanted non-mutants to join the Ultimates cuz its a government thing?

Ultimates #2 I believe when Banner and Fury are talking about putting the team together.

jtg3885 said:
You do actually READ Ultimate Spider-Man, right? We've known Peter was slated for the Ultimates since November 2002, when it was announced in... USM #27, I believe it was? Having only trades makes it harder to pin down which issue it belongs in, but it is part of that arc, and near the end, hence my guess of that issue. Avengers Disassembled's prequels started in June 2004, and New Avengers was published starting January 2005. We've known this was coming for over two years prior to the New Avengers. They're not at all connected.

Not connected at all? You don't think the writers of both books might have shared a few ideas. Who were they again? Bendis and ... well, Bendis again. No, I don't see a-n-y connection there... ;)

Ricky said:
Not connected at all? You don't think the writers of both books might have shared a few ideas. Who were they again? Bendis and ... well, Bendis again. No, I don't see a-n-y connection there... ;)
I really doubt that Bendis was planning the New Avengers in November 2002... actually, earlier then that. How many months ahead are issues written? If anything, his idea of adding Spider-man to the Ultimates probably drove him to include Spidey in the New Avengers. After all, Peter's been primarily a loner (or working with one other person) for years and years and years, and suddenly the guy who's writing that Peter HAS to join the Ultimates grabs a 616 team title, and voila, he's no longer a loner?

jtg3885 said:
I really doubt that Bendis was planning the New Avengers in November 2002... actually, earlier then that. How many months ahead are issues written? If anything, his idea of adding Spider-man to the Ultimates probably drove him to include Spidey in the New Avengers. After all, Peter's been primarily a loner (or working with one other person) for years and years and years, and suddenly the guy who's writing that Peter HAS to join the Ultimates grabs a 616 team title, and voila, he's no longer a loner?

Well, to be fair, Bendis is known for planning his books WAY in advance, so it wasn't out of the realm of possibility for him to have done so for New Avengers. But since he has already gone on record to say the entire time between Avengers Disassembled and New Avengers was planned during a meeting in 2003, then you're right on that.

In any case, I find it doubtful that his idea of "adding Spider-Man to the Ultimates" is what made him put Spider-Man in the New Avengers. I don't think Bendis has already fated the character there, but is merely exploring it as a realistic look at what Spider-Man's presence and activities mean in relation to a superhuman policing institution like SHIELD. Maybe Spider-Man WILL go to the Ultimates. Maybe he won't. The point of the matter is that he is an illegal mutation and Bendis, through Fury, is articulating what his place in the world currently is: an illegal mutation that does good.

What you're basically suggesting is that Bendis has a pet dream of seeing Spider-Man becoming a team player in the Avengers/Ultimates and all New Avengers is is about satisfying this pet dream for absolutely no conscionable reason whatsoever.

It's my very first post.

Ahh the memories.

and look...spiedy's in the ultimates.

ultimates-20070728001308955.jpg

Latest posts

Back