Movies of 2017

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 -- C There was a lot of heart to this movie, and some fun moments, but it was weighed down by a lot of dumb crass humour that did absolutely nothing for me. The first movie had that without going over the top. This one took every opportunity it could to make awkward genital jokes. Also, the whole second act with the Ravegers was terribly uncomfortable. The
execution of the loyal crew, the abuse of Groot, and Yondu killing everyone in slowmo with pop music in the background
was just unpleasant to watch. Plus Dave Bautista's terrible laugh got really old really quickly.

a lot of dumb crass humour that did absolutely nothing for me. The first movie had that without going over the top. This one took every opportunity it could to make awkward genital jokes.

It's James Gunn with more control. My favorite film of his Lollilove where he and his ex-wife (I can't remember her name, she played Pam in The Office) play a couple in a fake documentary about them spending thousands of dollars to help the homeless. It's biting satire on the "we're a rich couple who want to look good so we're helping the homeless to let people know how generous we are" folks and at times the acting gets a little too real for comfort. It's hilarious and crude, expect Holocaust and 9/11 jokes. Troma has uploaded the entire film and you can watch it free here. It's only an hour

Then there's PG ****, for people who love everything about **** except the sex. Real **** stars like Sasha Grey, Bree Olson, and Belladonna star along with Nathan Fillion, Michael Rosenbaum, Sean Gunn, Craig Robinson, and Alan Tudyk in eight shorts where no one gets laid. Love it.

The Humanzee short where James Gunn orders a freak of nature online and proceeds to abuse the ever loving **** out of it

The Dawn of the Dead remake, the only Zack Snyder film I like, all due to James Gunn's script where a pregnant lady dies and her zombie baby crawls out of her corpse.

Then there's The Specials, a slice of life film about the sixth or seventh most popular superhero team in the world. It's pretty tame by his standards, but it's great.

He also wrote the excellent video game Lollipop Chainsaw starring a sexy cheerleader bimbo fighting zombies, very crude.

Who can forget Slither and all it's gross out moments? That final scene with Michael Rooker still creeps me out.

Then there's Super, which I cannot recommend enough and don't really want to get into. Rainn Wilson, Ellen Page, Kevin Bacon, Liv Tyler, and a bunch of great cameos.

Lastly, there's The Belko Experiment which I haven't seen yet. It's about an office building being lockdown and the workers have to kill each other or a shadow group explodes the chips in their head.

I'm a really big fan of James Gunn and I will always laugh that he's working for Disney.

Last edited:
For some reason this posted as two messages just fine. I sent the TCB Twitter account a pic of the error I kept getting

Also, the whole second act with the Ravegers was terribly uncomfortable. The
execution of the loyal crew, the abuse of Groot, and Yondu killing everyone in slowmo with pop music in the background
was just unpleasant to watch.

My two favorite scenes in the film were Rocket fighting in the forest and the whole trapped on the Ravagers ship. The opening of the movie with Groot dancing annoyed the crap out of me and I thought I was about to watch something awful. So when he's being dressed up and being pushed around while people screamed "Mascot! Mascot!" felt like great commentary on Disney's marketing push with Groot. The rest with Yondu and Rocket trying to get Groot to steal the correct thing, Kraglin redeeming himself, and the slaughtering were the best. Especially the last part which was so well filmed and choreographed.

Plus Dave Bautista's terrible laugh got really old really quickly.

Yeah it did, I was already tired of it when it was in the trailer.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 -- C There was a lot of heart to this movie, and some fun moments, but it was weighed down by a lot of dumb crass humour that did absolutely nothing for me. The first movie had that without going over the top. This one took every opportunity it could to make awkward genital jokes. Also, the whole second act with the Ravegers was terribly uncomfortable. The
was just unpleasant to watch. Plus Dave Bautista's terrible laugh got really old really quickly.

The Fate of the Furious -- B+
This movie was exactly what I expected. Over the top, brainless action that was a lot of fun and had just enough heart to keep it afloat. I don't know how they keep topping the ridiculousness of the previous movie, but they do.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

This movie was exactly what I expected. Over the top, brainless action that was a lot of fun and had just enough heart to keep it afloat. I don't know how they keep topping the ridiculousness of the previous movie, but they do.

Wonder Woman -- B Wonder Woman is fun. It's got great action, some funny moments. Gal Gadot is really likeable. The finale of the movie was a bit dumb.
I can't really buy Lupin as Ares. That fight was just a bit too much CGI spectacle for me. And when she kills him everyone starts hugging... What was that? Also, this movie needed to distance itself from Captain America, which it did, until it ended in exactly the same way (minus the god fight). Steve could have sacrificed himself in so many different ways,
why would they choose that way?
Any way, it was good. A solid B.

I am unironically hyped for this
[video=youtube;2QKg5SZ_35I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QKg5SZ_35I[/video]

Wonder Woman -- B Wonder Woman is fun. It's got great action, some funny moments. Gal Gadot is really likeable. The finale of the movie was a bit dumb.
I can't really buy Lupin as Ares. That fight was just a bit too much CGI spectacle for me. And when she kills him everyone starts hugging... What was that? Also, this movie needed to distance itself from Captain America, which it did, until it ended in exactly the same way (minus the god fight). Steve could have sacrificed himself in so many different ways,

Spider-Man: Homecoming -- A This was a great movie. It was fun, it had a good plot and a genuinely great villain. Holland and Keaton and everyone else were well cast and did an amazing job. There were a few minor gripes I had (I'll post more in the appropriate thread), and at some level I feel like this wasn't the movie I wanted. But it's the movie it needed to be to keep the threebooted franchize fresh, and it did that job well.

Last edited:

Spider-Man: Homecoming -- A This was a great movie. It was fun, it had a good plot and a genuinely great villain. Holland and Keaton and everyone else were well cast and did an amazing job. There were a few minor gripes I had (I'll post more in the appropriate thread), and at some level I feel like this wasn't the movie I wanted. But it's the movie it needed to be to keep the threebooted franchize fresh, and it did that job well.

Thor: Ragnarok -- A This movie was a lot of fun. I think it's a good thing they released those Thor & Daryl shorts to prepare us for funny Thor because it was quite different than Thor's other four appearances. But it was enjoyable from start to finish, with great action, spectacle, acting, and enough plot and heart to make it work. My only complaint is how the Warriors Three were handled (specifically Volstag and Fandral) and the fact that there was no mention at all of Sif.

Latest posts

Back