Power Rangers (2017 Film)

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
So, took my niece to see this, and have to say, it was a lot of fun.

I was never a big fan of Power Rangers as a kid, but I enjoyed this movie. It certainly has some problems, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The characters were likable (Billy was awesome). The effects were great. The fight choreography was impressive. They managed to integrate aspects of the old show in new and interesting ways that just make more sense than their original portrayal and work to tell a more cohesive story. Some may complain about it taking a somewhat gritty reboot approach, but I don't think that's a fair classification anyway, as the film is still lighthearted and humorous at times, while at others offering real emotional weight (well, least as much as a film like this can) and stakes for the characters. But in regard to it taking about more of a "realistic" approach, this is one of those franchises that benefitted from the "Ultimate" reboot approach, least in my opinion.

The downside is it's a bit formulaic and predictable, but still worth a watch if you were a fan as a kid, or even if you weren't and are just looking for a fun popcorn flick.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back