Preacher (TV Series - AMC)

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
So the first two episodes of the Preacher TV series were quite impressive.

I was quite apprehensive about Rogen/Goldberg taking the reigns when I first heard of the adaptation happening. While I enjoy their comedic dick/fart/buddy comedies as much as the next guy, I wasn't sure that showed any talent for adapting the subversive comic that is Preacher.

However, 2 episodes in, the show is quite good. It retains much of the original book while changing up a few things from the comic, but it's already a fun ride, and impressively and deeply layered, while retaining the tongue in cheek subversive commentary of religion, society, and the great American Western.

Gilgun's Cassidy is a highlight, and spot on. Wish they hadn't toned down Sheriff Root so much, but I can understand why they did given the cable television limits.

It seems like it's going to be a fun ride, and could conceivably take the mantle from Breaking Bad as AMC's next hit. I'd like to see Jesse and Tulip expanded on more, but two episodes in it makes sense to offer a slow burn/gradual reveal of their characters' pasts.

I think I will at some point. I didn't really care for the comic; I know that probably puts my in the minority but I guess I just didn't get it.

But I'm hearing a lot of good things about this show and I do want to check it out even though the comic did nothing for me.

I think I will at some point. I didn't really care for the comic; I know that probably puts my in the minority but I guess I just didn't get it.

But I'm hearing a lot of good things about this show and I do want to check it out even though the comic did nothing for me.

I didn't care for the comic and quit reading after the third arc. I absolutely love the show and it majorly deviates away from the comic.

Someone was gracious enough to give me a torrented first episode but I've yet to watch it. I don't have cable anymore, so even if I do end up liking it, I'll wait until it hits HULU or Netflix.

I didn't care for the comic and quit reading after the third arc. I absolutely love the show and it majorly deviates away from the comic.

It doesn't really deviate from the comic, it just fills in holes a lot more in terms of characterization and world building due to having more time to devote to those things. They seem to be adapting the first six issue arc for the entire ten episode long first season of 42 minute episodes without commercials, so that affords a lot more time for that.

The show really is better than the comic, though. It's fantastic.

Latest posts

Back