Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens Discussion [SPOILERS]

How would you rate The Force Awakens?

• Total voters
He'd been shot in the torso with a Bowcaster! The fact he was even still standing, let alone holding his own in a lightsaber battle--even against a completely untrained dude like Finn--says a lot about his abilities/fortitude.

Why do people ignore that? That should always factor into commentaries/opinions on said fight, shouldn't it? It isn't like Finn kicked Ren's butt. Finn was being toyed with by a severely wounded Kylo Ren. That's all that happened, and it lasted for maybe 30 seconds while Rey was knocked down. Finn never had the advantage, and was barely holding on, and it ended with him being sliced up his back and unconscious (conveniently just as Rey had regained consciousness and was looking that way, so it could be argued Ren just wanted Rey to witness him severely wounding her friend/ally--that would certainly echo his full embrace of the Dark Side after killing Han).

I've seen it three times and it is a surprisingly layered film, which while not my favorite of the series, it ranks up there by trying that new approach built on the old, that being a larger element of mystery. The mystery of who Rey is, what exactly happened to turn Ren to the Dark Side, Luke's failure, Han/Leia, all that happened between RotJ and TFA, which drove much of the characterization/plot in TFA, were mostly subtly presented without giving it all away. The fan theories about everyone from Rey to Unkar Plutt are great! Even if untrue those lingering plot threads have fan engaged and talking and debating about Star Wars again, and that's great!

Obviously some will be answered in the films, and other aspects will be expanded on and chronicled in the new novels/comics. I'm ok with that, the old EU did largely the same thing, and the new one's advantage is the tighter oversight by the Lucasfilm Story Group to keep it all working without continuity problems (so far anyway). ;)

But regarding the Finn/Ren lightsaber battle, Finn got his behind handed to him by the severely wounded Sith Lord. That's all that happened. It literally lasted all of 30 seconds, and only that long because Ren was toying with Finn (it is in line with the Dark Side to instill fear, and use it against the opponent). It really was very quick.

Last edited:
tumblr_o1o4fgVCuW1v652qio1_r1_400.gif

Why do people ignore that?

I ignore it as he was well enough to cut them off despite been far enough away he'd have to use force speed. Meaning he must be okay enough to still do that. If he was too injured he'd not do that. Either way i'd be ignoring something either the "injury" or the "ability" he still had. So I ignore the one I feel the other cancels-out. *shrugs* others will ignore the fact he cut them off despite been lower down and sort of far away ad that's ok too

I ignore it as he was well enough to cut them off despite been far enough away he'd have to use force speed. Meaning he must be okay enough to still do that. If he was too injured he'd not do that. Either way i'd be ignoring something either the "injury" or the "ability" he still had. So I ignore the one I feel the other cancels-out. *shrugs* others will ignore the fact he cut them off despite been lower down and sort of far away ad that's ok too

Or, it could simply be explained that he took a lift to the surface.

Or, it could simply be explained that he took a lift to the surface.

r_stop.jpg

Waaaaay too try try-hard wyokid. I give your use of picture a 3/10

He'd been shot in the torso with a Bowcaster! The fact he was even still standing, let alone holding his own in a lightsaber battle--even against a completely untrained dude like Finn--says a lot about his abilities/fortitude.

Why do people ignore that?

Not only that, but killing Han actually made him weaker, and remember that Finn is not just some guy off the street. He's been combat trained his whole life.

Latest posts

Back