New arc?

You can clearly tell I'm new to reading comics haha

Final Crisis was completely confusing. As is a lot of Grant Morrison's stuff. There is very little I've ever read by him that I like. He likes to write very high concept stories and not really explain things well.

Final Crisis was completely confusing. As is a lot of Grant Morrison's stuff. There is very little I've ever read by him that I like. He likes to write very high concept stories and not really explain things well.

That's not a completely fair assessment.

Grant Morrison writes very intelligent comics. They are incredibly complicated and often require multiple reads to completely get. If you don't like to do that, or are used to reading simpler stories with a villain of the month where things are comparatively bland, you probably won't like Grant Morrison's work.

His stories transcend much of current storytelling and are well worth the extra work it takes to understand them.

Now, that said, there are times where he doesn't explain things well, or at least it seems that way. However, in some cases it wasn't completely his fault (Seven Soldiers #1). Other times I just think there is too much and people miss things.

But Grant Morrison is by far the best writer in comics today. I highly recommend anything he does. Specifically, All-Star Superman, his Batman run, and Seven Soldiers of Victory are phenomenal.

Grant Morrison writes very intelligent comics. They are incredibly complicated and often require multiple reads to completely get. If you don't like to do that, or are used to reading simpler stories with a villain of the month where things are comparatively bland, you probably won't like Grant Morrison's work.

His stories transcend much of current storytelling and are well worth the extra work it takes to understand them.

Now, that said, there are times where he doesn't explain things well, or at least it seems that way. However, in some cases it wasn't completely his fault (Seven Soldiers #1). Other times I just think there is too much and people miss things.

But Grant Morrison is by far the best writer in comics today. I highly recommend anything he does. Specifically, All-Star Superman, his Batman run, and Seven Soldiers of Victory are phenomenal.
What he said.

I haven't read everything by him, but what I have, I've enjoyed. I think All-Star Superman is my favorite.

To be fair I will be reading his batman stuff as I've heard good things but really didn't buy into final crisis

I guess I prefer simpler, bland stories :lol:

But really, I like complicated, involved stories. Hickman is a good example of this. His run on FF and Avengers requires a couple of reads to understand fully/fully appreciate but at least you can follow it, which I haven't found to be the case with Morrison. But I know he's popular and widely acclaimed, his style just isn't for everyone.
To be fair I will be reading his batman stuff as I've heard good things but really didn't buy into final crisis

His Batman stuff was good. Maybe because it was more "mainstream" so he had editors forcing him to be more clear. But even still, I had to find annotations online to really figure out what was going on towards the end.

All I'm going to say is it takes me a couple times to get everything with Morrison but only once with Hickman. I think Hickman oversimplifies to be completely honest.

Final Crisis felt more like an editorial mandate to me than Batman or anything else he's done. I thought it was OK, but I'm not a huge DC fan in the first place so what do I know.

I guess I prefer simpler, bland stories :lol:

That wasn't a criticism, by the way. Some people just do. I do, sometimes.

Actually I thought All-Star Superman was more "bland" than most of the other things he's written in that the story was straightforward and uncomplicated. But, again, "bland" is not a criticism in this case.

I don't see a lot of similarities between Hickman and Morrison. Hickman does tell huge, overarching stories but my point was more than Morrison makes these connections in every minutia of everything and there are a billion dots to connect.

Latest posts

Back