Spider-Man Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows

So apparently this is coming back and will run concurrently with the normal ASM title and The Clone Conspiracy mini. (along with all the other Spider-titles) starting in October.

And it's being written by the greatest Spider-Man writer ever, Gerry Conway! Between this and the nine year build up to Genndy Tartakovsky's Cage! Marvel has me back. For a little while anyway.

I'm bringing this over from the November 2016 comic solicitations thread:

(Why does MJ have powers?)
Because she's awesome

Yes she is, and she is awesome without powers. It makes sense that Annie (Peter & MJ's daughter) has powers, but how did MJ get them? And why does she need them? She's a capable and interesting supporting character without needing to have powers. Spider-Man is a compelling character because he's a regular guy who wants to live a regular life, but he has powers, which give him a huge sense of responsibility. He cares about and wants to look after his loved ones and they have to cope with his double life. Add a child who also has powers to that mix and you have lots of potential for awesome stories. It's not like MJ is going to be pushed into the role of a stay-at-home housewife and mom, that would be a waste of an interesting character for this story (although I really REALLY respect women who do that. I'm glad my mom stayed at home and took care of me and my siblings). But she doesn't need to have powers to be awesome.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun on this, I haven't read it and Gerry Conway is one of the greats. We'll see.

Last edited:
I just read the opening arc. She has powers because Peter designed a suit for her using Regent's tech that allows her to share his powers.

I don't know, I don't think this series is my cup of tea. I'll probably drop it and give the new "Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man" series a try.

I'll probably drop it and give the new "Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man" series a try.

That's the upcoming Chip Zdarsky book? I will probably give that a shot. I haven't read much of Spider-Man in a few years.

I just read the opening arc. She has powers because Peter designed a suit for her using Regent's tech that allows her to share his powers.

I don't know, I don't think this series is my cup of tea. I'll probably drop it and give the new "Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man" series a try.

You are why Spider-Man will never improve

You are why Spider-Man will never improve

Hey man, I read Spider-Girl til the end. I dropped Amazing Spider-Man for at least a year when they ended the marriage and when they did Superior Spider-Man. And I gave this a try. But I don't like it. I don't like MJ as a superhero. MJ is an incredible character and a strong woman. I don't know why Marvel can't figure out how to show that without giving her powers.

I'm hoping that this new Spectacular Spider-Man series will get back to grassroots Spider-Man with the supporting characters that make him the hero I love.

I'm also hoping Slott will eventually tell a big story that undoes OMD. He keeps hinting at MJ in ASM.

The DeFalco series?! Oh man. I read his 90s Fantastic Four and it was awful. He's the worst.

Chris-Pratt-Middle-Finger.gif

Just read the dang comic

Latest posts

Back