Is Batman's origin pivotal to comic book history?

Is Batman's origin pivotal to comic book history?

• Total voters

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
I'm having a discussion with someone on Facebook about Batman's origin (the murder of his parents) and wether or not it's pivotal to comic book history. Not just to Batman's own history, but the history of comic books in general. We're on two different sides: the other person says it's not because even if there was no Batman, comics would still be what they are. I say it is because even with what he said, Batman is one of the most iconic characters in comics of all time and so is origin, where it was one of the firsts, if not the first (not sure on that) to have tragedy of loved ones making/leading someone on that path. Sure, sometimes that also makes villains, but that's not the point in this case.

Anyways:

What does everyone else think? Pivotal to comic book history or not? Post your thoughts!

Last edited:
I'm having a discussion with someone on Facebook about Batman's origin (the murder of his parents) and wether or not it's pivotal to comic book history. Not just to Batman's own history, but the history of comic books in general. We're on two different sides: the other person says it's not because even if there was no Batman, comics would still be what they are. I say it is because even with what he said, Batman is one of the most iconic characters in comics of all time and so is origin, where it was one of the firsts, if not the first (not sure on that) to have tragedy of loved ones making/leading someone on that path. Sure, sometimes that also makes villains, but that's not the point in this case.

Anyways:

What does everyone else think? Pivotal to comic book history or not? Post your thoughts!

Without Batman comics would most definitely NOT be what they are today. Same goes for Superman, Fantastic Four, etc.

Whether or not his actual origin, that is, the murder of his parents and how it fuels his desire for vengeance or justice - that's a little tougher. I think it's reasonable to think that kind of story would make it to comics eventually.

Anyways:

Is your point that the death of Uncle Ben and Flash's mom, the Punisher's family, etc were influenced by the murder of the Waynes? Yeah probably. But Superman's parents and whole species died before Batman's parents did. (Yeah, it's different, I know).

So I don't know if I would say it's pivotal, but it was at least very influential. I wouldn't say that it was as pivotal as the death of Gwen Stacy, which was the first time the hero failed to save the day. That literally changed comics forever. Superman and Batman and Captain America all had tragedy in their past, but they never failed., especially to save the love interest. That's why the death of Gwen Stacy was the end of the silver age of comics.

If there was no origin there'd be no Batman. The entire comic landscape would be drastically different just taking away Frank Miller's work alone.

I honestly, don't see how you'd argue that the origin of Batman isn't pivotal in comic book history. Batman is who he is because of his origin, and without Batman, comic book history wouldn't look like it does today. He's without question one of the top 3 most iconic superheroes out there (Superman, Batman and Spiderman, IMO). If Batman's origin isn't pivotal to comic book history, I don't know what is pivotal to comic book history.

I honestly, don't see how you'd argue that the origin of Batman isn't pivotal in comic book history. Batman is who he is because of his origin, and without Batman, comic book history wouldn't look like it does today. He's without question one of the top 3 most iconic superheroes out there (Superman, Batman and Spiderman, IMO). If Batman's origin isn't pivotal to comic book history, I don't know what is pivotal to comic book history.

But is it as pivotal as squirrel-girls origin?

Latest posts

Back