Miles Morales - The Ultimate Spider-Man (Spoilers)

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
So read the first issue, and it was good.

Had some decent characterization moments, particularly Miles wondering and dealing with his dad leaving, as well as his debate over whether to tell his girlfriend about him being Spider-Man. I liked him going to MJ and asking her, as well as her comparing him revealing that secret to marriage. Good stuff.

I wasn't a fan of Norman Osborn returning, nor of the apparent return of Peter Parker (even though we all know it's likely a clone or something).

But yeah, while the other two Ultimate relaunch titles were disappointing, at least USM is still holding strong.

Re: Miles Morales - The Ultimate Spider-Man

There's a good chance that Peter is the clone who was Scorpion I, just somehow cured of his supposed inoperable, biograft. He was still alive in the epilogue of Ultimate Clone Saga.

Or, just like Norman Osborn multiple returns have shown, actually being injected with Oz gives you some sort of rebirth effect if the subject is killed. I don't think this would apply for Otto and Harry as they were caught in an explosion which released Oz in a gaseous-like state.

There's a good chance that Peter is the clone who was Scorpion I, just somehow cured of his supposed inoperable, biograft. He was still alive in the epilogue of Ultimate Clone Saga. Or, just like Norman Osborn multiple returns have shown, actually being injected with Oz gives you some sort of rebirth effect if the subject is killed. I don't think this would apply for Otto and Harry as they were caught in an explosion which released Oz in a gaseous-like state.

The reason I'm thinking it's one of a series of clones are the twin Spider-Man like guys from the beginning. Course it remains to be seen if they possess the same powers, etc.

ultimatecomicsspiderman_14_cover.jpg

Remember the Chameleon twins from a few years ago? The shape shifters that figured out Peter Parker was Spider-Man and took his place for a while before they were defeated and imprisoned in the Triskelion?

Yeah.

Last edited:

Chameleon Twins is probably my second favorite Ultimate Spider-Man story. First would be the one where Shocker kidnaps Spider-Man.

I'm not sure which story is my favourite. Probably something with Kingpin. I know people didn't like the Ultimate Knights arc, but my favourite issue is the one in that arc where Fisk captures Spidey and ties him to a chair and knocks him around a bit but tells him to keep fighting crime because he owns the rights to Spidey's image so the more popular Spidey gets, the more money Kingpin makes. That was so awesome.

The Shocker standalone is incredible.

My favourite is probably the first Venom arc, though I really like Legacy (and specifically the issue from Norman's POV) too. Amazing Friends was fun stuff as well.

Anyways, I'm really hoping this isn't actually Peter. I'll wait before criticizing that. However, I don't like that Norman's back - I really feel like the Miles stuff relies more and more on Peter's supporting cast as this goes on, and I'd much rather he have his own villains and his own friends.

That, and I'm still bummed that Norman is alive at all. Him and Harry had halfway decent closure in Death of a Goblin.

Last edited:

I'm not sure which story is my favourite. Probably something with Kingpin. I know people didn't like the Ultimate Knights arc, but my favourite issue is the one in that arc where Fisk captures Spidey and ties him to a chair and knocks him around a bit but tells him to keep fighting crime because he owns the rights to Spidey's image so the more popular Spidey gets, the more money Kingpin makes. That was so awesome.

You know what else was awesome? When Spidey punched Fury. Holy crap! I almost dropped the comic.

Anyways, I'm really hoping this isn't actually Peter. I'll wait before criticizing that. However, I don't like that Norman's back - I really feel like the Miles stuff relies more and more on Peter's supporting cast as this goes on, and I'd much rather he have his own villains and his own friends. That, and I'm still bummed that Norman is alive at all. Him and Harry had halfway decent closure in Death of a Goblin.

I agree. Early on using Peter's supporting cast made sense, both in terms of the story itself and as a way of transitioning the audience to accept Miles and his cast of characters. And yes, occasionally having Aunt May, MJ, or Gwen makes sense, like Miles going to ask MJ about revealing his identity to his girlfriend in this first issue of MM-USM. It was well written and handled. However, I do think there's been an over usage and over reliance on Aunt May, MJ, and Gwen showing up every few issues, since Miles began as the new USM.

And now, it seems Peter is back (though not really), and Norman definitely is.

I don't mind the use of Peter's supporting cast. I think it makes sense for Miles to go to them for advice and support. And considering the fact that the majority of his supporting cast has recently been exported to New Ultimates, he needs someone to talk to (besides Ganke) in the context of his solo book.

I don't mind the use of Peter's supporting cast. I think it makes sense for Miles to go to them for advice and support. And considering the fact that the majority of his supporting cast has recently been exported to New Ultimates, he needs someone to talk to (besides Ganke) in the context of his solo book.

I don't mind it either, to a point, I just don't want to see it over used and overly relied upon as a bridge between the Peter USM era and the new Miles USM era. Should he occasionally seek out advice from May, Gwen, and MJ, yes, of course, there's a logic to it both from a story telling point and emotional point. I just don't want to see it over used as it cheapens the whole aspect, that's what I mean.

Anyone else feel that this series it's being published way too slowly? ANU #8 is going to be released this coming Wednesday and this one seems to be falling behind greatly.

Anyone else feel that this series it's being published way too slowly? ANU #8 is going to be released this coming Wednesday and this one seems to be falling behind greatly.

Not really. It comes out once a month. That's pretty standard. Ultimate FF and All New Ultimates had a few months where they released two issues per month (one every two weeks or so), so that may be why it seems that way.

However, given All New Ultimates absolutely sucks, and Ultimate FF was hit or miss, while MM-USM is reliably good, I'll take the once a month approach over more often with less desirable results in terms of quality.

Yes this is Miles story. He has been doing great. No one wants to see him as Peter's sidekick. I doubt that's what they are going for but the whole premise was originally him taking over. Clone or not Peter needs to step aside. I agree let some of the old gang be a small back up but let's expand on Mile's world. My favorite is J.J. Jameson though. I love that he is remorseful of the way he treated Sider Man.

So, MM-USM #5 was interesting. The whole arc has been interesting so far (unfortunately it's the only good Ultimate title currently).

The scene between JJJ and Osborn had a nice surprise ending, though I think it's obvious it won't be so simple.

I'm also looking forward to next issue, when hopefully we'll get some answers concerning Peter and Norman being alive.

Yeah, agreed completely. While Norman being alive is kind of par for the course now, the answers that the next issue will (hopefully) give regarding Peter are what I've been waiting for since he showed up. MJ seems to have taken him in, and considering she should be especially aware that clones have been a thing in Peter's life, I hope she had a damn good reason to.

Gotta wonder if there'll be any repercussions for JJ shooting Norman, though. I imagine he's selfless enough to do that now, but murder is murder, and he has it on tape. SHIELD could always hand-wave it, but it might make for an interesting story.

Latest posts

Back