All-New Ultimates by Michel Fiffe (Spoilers)

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
detail.jpg

Did anyone else read the first issue of this? I didn't like it. The art was weird, the characters were written badly, the plot was choppy, and the story wasn't super interesting.

The cover was pretty, though.

Last edited:
Yeah, this was really bad
/Opens the door
/gets on the floor
/walks the dinosaur

Yeah, this was really bad
/Opens the door
/gets on the floor
/walks the dinosaur

Lol.

Yep, I tried to tell you guys that yet another reboot wouldn't result in a better story.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the Miles Morales - USM and Ult FF books will be decent. I think MM-USM will be, and Ult FF has the potential to be an interesting and fun book, but as we all know, it comes down to the execution.

Someone was expecting it to be good. Can't remember who, but they were saying the writer of this title wrote another acclaimed independent book and figured this would be good too. I disagreed. :)

That was me, and Copra is getting rave reviews.

Though I believe my comment was more along the lines of "Don't discount it before it's out" and "It's good to see Marvel taking chances with up-and-coming indie creators". And then it probably broke down into an "It doesn't fit continuity at all!"/"I don't really care about all that" type argument. And then I probably suggested, as I do, that the Ultimate Universe and possibly the mainstream DC/Marvel universes do full-on periodic reboots at spans of roughly a decade. ;) I'm not invested enough in these books to speak about quality. I haven't read an ultimate book in ages.

Last edited:
Eh. It's very rare for me to be liking all the Ultimate books at the same time. In fact, I don't think I ever have.

That was me, and Copra is getting rave reviews. Though I believe my comment was more along the lines of "Don't discount it before it's out" and "It's good to see Marvel taking chances with up-and-coming indie creators". And then it probably broke down into an "It doesn't fit continuity at all!"/"I don't really care about all that" type argument. And then I probably suggested, as I do, that the Ultimate Universe and possibly the mainstream DC/Marvel universes do full-on periodic reboots at spans of roughly a decade. ;) I'm not invested enough in these books to speak about quality. I haven't read an ultimate book in ages.

There you have it, it's all Zombi's fault.

But seriously, it's only the first issue, so maybe it'll improve by arc's end. The only problem is a first issue should ideally set things up and introduce the characters in a way that interests the readers enough to come back for more. This didn't pull that off, unfortunately. We'll see how it turns out.

Eh. It's very rare for me to be liking all the Ultimate books at the same time. In fact, I don't think I ever have.

Yeah, I think the last time I liked all the Ultimate titles being released was at least ten years ago, in the early days of USM, UXM, and Ultimates (and before UFF debuted). UXM wasn't great, but it was at least enjoyable at times (I still love Vaughan's run on UXM, and the one shot issue by Bendis about Wolverine being dispatches to kill the teenager who's powers killed everyone around him was fantastic, think it was #44 or #45).

I'm all for trying new things, but I just can't care anything about this team. I don't like the makeup of it. And if I don't like the makeup of it, I don't really want to read about it.

Boring.

/end review
/mic drop
/kicks door down
/leaves

I might actually like this almost as much as TOG's "it's heavy" review, which is my favorite review of anything ever.

I'm all for trying new things, but I just can't care anything about this team. I don't like the makeup of it. And if I don't like the makeup of it, I don't really want to read about it.
Not enough Cover Girl, I know.

Just read the first issue. I had no idea what was going on and didn't care enough to figure it out.

It's a real shame how far this line has dropped in quality.

God this series is horrible. The dialogue, the plots, the characterization... its all completely juvenile, boring, and ultimately (see what I did there?) worthless.

Seriously, just end this horrendous series. They already dropped Ultimate FF (which wasn't great, but better than All-New Ultimates by a long shot), may as well get rid of this abomination too. As E said, its crazy how far the bar has dropped with the Ultimate line.

At least MM-USM is still decent. Just focus on that, drop All-New Ultimates and print only MM-USM and the occasional worthwhile mini-series.

It occurred to me today that next year IDW's Transformers (the one that was inspired by Ultimate Marvel) will have three ongoings and, most likely, a miniseries running. The Ultimate universe hasn't had that since 2009.

Latest posts

Back