Post-Cataclysm Ultimate Relaunch: All-New...Again

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
Ultimate Line will relaunch in April with three new titles

In keeping with tradition, Marvel will be titling the line-wide relaunch "Ultimate Marvel NOW!" and the titles included will be Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man written by Brian Michael Bendis with art by David Marquez, Ultimate FF written by Joshua Hale Fialkov and drawn by Mario Guevara, and All-New Ultimates written by Michel Fiffe and drawn by Amilcar Pinna.

Ultimate FF will see the debut of the "Future Foundation" in the Ultimate universe and will consists of a team including Sue Storm, Tony Stark and others, including one character described as a "psychopath."

All-New Ultimates is another brand new team book, this one consisting of Miles Morales, Black Widow, Kitty Pryde, Bombshell, and Cloak and Dagger.

Last edited:
Apart from USM, I don't really understand the point of the UU's continued existence. Are these books still selling?

And I'll admit, I was kind of hoping Miles would get folded into 616.

All-New Ultimates could be cool though.

Last edited:
I had heard rumour that they were bringing miles into the regular universe as a sneaky measure that they could do films with him

Update:

It all starts in April with ALL-NEW ULTIMATES, from the creative team of Michel Fiffe (Copra) and Amilcar Pinna (X-Men: First Class). Spider-Man, Black Widow (formally Spider-Woman), Kitty Pryde, Bombshell, Cloak & Dagger officially unite to tackle the vicious, rampant crime wave overtaking Hell's Kitchen! But can this new team of Ultimates stand up to the murderous gang known only as the Serpent Skulls?

Ultimate Marvel NOW! continues through the spring of 2014 with the launch of ULTIMATE FF by Joshua Hale Fialkov (Cataclysm: Ultimate X-Men) and upcoming superstar artist, Mario Guevara. The FF - Future Foundation - is all that stands between the Ultimate universe and COMPLETE AND UTTER DOOM! Can Sue Storm, Tony Stark, Machine Man and Sam Wilson face the oncoming devastation directly after the events of Cataclysm?

And finally, Miles Morales is back in his own web-slinging solo-series, MILES MORALES: ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN by creator Brian Michael Bendis (Ultimate Spider-Man, All-New X-Men) and artist Dave Marquez (Cataclysm: Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, All-New X-Men). In the wake of earth-shattering events, Miles is back in action with a new status quo and a new outlook on life! But there is no time to sit back and relax. A BIG villain from Peter Parker's past is alive and well and about to turn New York upside down.

3563953-all_new_ultimates_1_marquez_variant.jpg

3563956-ultimate_ff_1_mckone_cover.jpg

Urgh these images don't fill me with confidence. Another relaunch! My word

. I'm a little behind but at the moment kitty pride is the leader of free mutants, does galactus come along and she think "you know what would be good, going back to school and hanging on and battling super small villains"

They've clearly just hung all their hopes on miles being popular enough to sustain the whole damned universe. and purple really?

I love everything about this! Especially All-New Ultimates. I love how diverse the team is and i already love the characters.

I also like that Bombshell is moving up in the world.

Urgh these images don't fill me with confidence. Another relaunch! My word . I'm a little behind but at the moment kitty pride is the leader of free mutants, does galactus come along and she think "you know what would be good, going back to school and hanging on and battling super small villains" They've clearly just hung all their hopes on miles being popular enough to sustain the whole damned universe. and purple really?

This. You're exactly right about Kitty. Seeing little motivation or sense driving her from her position of a respected mutant leader to fighting street crime.

Also, getting really tired of the relaunches. It's become ridiculous. This universe is 14 years old and this will be its third relaunch in 5 years.

Marvel, you keep doing the same thing hoping to increase sales for the Ultimate books: relaunching unnecessarily (and pointlessly) by handing the titles to writers who don't know what they're doing (except Bendis on USM).

Instead of recruiting talented writers and churning out a quality product, you're instead content with allowing mediocre writers to pump out disappointing and way over the top books (really the opposite of the point of the Ultimate verse) for a couple years, then when sales have reached an abysmal low point (at which books in your 616 universe are cancelled), you throw together some "event" like Ultimatum, Death of Spider-Man, or Cataclysm to set up a relaunch.

It's old, Marvel. Try something new. Please.

Actually, Kitty
stepped down from being the leader of the mutants on Utopia in UXM for a reason I don't even remember now. The writer probably figured since she's not doing anything of importance or whatever that she would be good to use.

Last edited:
Exactly! As I said before if they'd have said "okay this is the end of the ultimate line" I think sales would have gone up, people would have bought back issues and volumes as they would know for once they would get a complete finished series.

I would have been down even if it had been done in a contrived way if they had said " hey these guys are in 616 now and they have new identities,follow them if you like"

We've all made the joke of ultimate comics: the ultimate ultimates. But ultimate comics now:new ultimate isn't much less if a ridiculous name. I could have handled a standalone ultimate universe comic, with mini stories from everyone.

I quite like the idea if a young ultimates and a ff but the constant regeneration of the ultimate line does nothing but annoy people

Actually, Kitty * SPOILER *

That's what you took away from my post? ;)

And yes, I know she stepped down, it's just an odd transition to go from general in a war, to leader and diplomat of your own mutant nation, to stepping down from that leadership role, and now punching guys in alleys.

Who knows? Maybe they'll make it work. I'm just worried and expecting someone to mention "Kitty Pryde?! OMG, what're you doing here?!"

Kitty: "Politics bored me. Now I need to punch someone."

Or something as equally terrible.

Exactly! As I said before if they'd have said "okay this is the end of the ultimate line" I think sales would have gone up, people would have bought back issues and volumes as they would know for once they would get a complete finished series. I would have been down even if it had been done in a contrived way if they had said " hey these guys are in 616 now and they have new identities,follow them if you like" We've all made the joke of ultimate comics: the ultimate ultimates. But ultimate comics now:new ultimate isn't much less if a ridiculous name. I could have handled a standalone ultimate universe comic, with mini stories from everyone. I quite like the idea if a young ultimates and a ff but the constant regeneration of the ultimate line does nothing but annoy people

Yup. I'm ok with them changing teams/trying out new ideas (I like the Future Foundation idea). I'm even ok with new team line-ups (Spider-Man and friends being the new Ultimates).

I just hate that they resort to these ludicrous and poorly written event comics as a means to these transitions. It's entirely possible to change things (hopefully for the better) without needing to resort to the worn out (Event + Relaunch = Higher Sales[Temporary]).

And I wouldn't mind the events if they were any good. Ultimatum was trash. Cataclysm has been a huge waste of time. So far spread across 1 main mini of 5 issues and 3 tie ins of 3 issues each, we're going to get 14 issues of a story that could've been told in 3, max.

I really want to root for Marvel, and hope the Ultimate universe finds its voice and direction again. It'd be great to look forward to the various Ultimate series again, but that hasn't been the case for me in a long time.

That's what you took away from my post? ;)

And yes, I know she stepped down, it's just an odd transition to go from general in a war, to leader and diplomat of your own mutant nation, to stepping down from that leadership role, and now punching guys in alleys.

Who knows? Maybe they'll make it work. I'm just worried and expecting someone to mention "Kitty Pryde?! OMG, what're you doing here?!"

Kitty: "Politics bored me. Now I need to punch someone."

Or something as equally terrible.

Except it's obviously not that at all. Plus, after what's happening in Cataclysm, it would make sense for Kitty to join the All-New Ultimates in the aftermath.

Not for nothing, but let's see how it happens before making assumptions. It's better than her being stuck in limbo anyway.

I'd like it if they'd just give this line the full reboot every ten years or so.

But apparently the guy doing New Ultimates is a very promising up-and-comer who's been self-publishing a series called Copra that's been getting massive critical acclaim.

Except it's obviously not that at all.

After witnessing their approach to characterization and reasoning behind the Ultimate characters' reactions over the past 5 years or so, I'd argue nothing is obvious, nor well-reasoned, when it concerns most Ultimate characters.

Plus, after what's happening in Cataclysm, it would make sense for Kitty to join the All-New Ultimates in the aftermath.

How does it make sense?

Not for nothing, but let's see how it happens before making assumptions. It's better than her being stuck in limbo anyway.

I usually agree with the "wait and see" approach, but the Ultimate titles overall haven't given me much of a track record in the past several years to give that statement much merit. The whole fool me once, fool me twice thing (actually in this case it's the third time).

There's not any evidence to indicate this will be any better, and some history showing it can be worse, specific to the Ultimate titles.

I'd like it if they'd just give this line the full reboot every ten years or so. But apparently the guy doing New Ultimates is a very promising up-and-comer who's been self-publishing a series called Copra that's been getting massive critical acclaim.

That's great. But just because a writer is awesome with their own series and characters doesn't translate to them being awesome on a big company's titles and characters. Case in point: Kirkman. He does great on Walking Dead, Invincible, etc, but he wasn't so hot on Ult X-Men.

The Future Foundation idea is kind of interesting, but I just don't care about the Ultimates team. "Ultimates" means something and it's not this. If I had to guess I'd say that the book looks like what UXM has been.

More interesting to me (kind of) is the indication that the existing Ultimates won't be around anymore.

This universe as a whole is creatively bankrupt. I just don't care anymore.

Last edited:
Interview with Fialkov giving us more information on Ultimate FF: http://www.newsarama.com/20022-fialkov-charts-future-of-marvel-s-ultimate-universe-with-ultimate-ff.html Look at the state the Ultimate Universe will be post Cataclysm. It seems there is no more SHIELD and who knows what other thing will have changed post Cataclysm. Plus, the Utopian mutants are not that happy with Kitty Pryde, so it would be understandable for her to decide to leave.

That's my point though. Isn't someone who's an established leader (in both war and peace time) better suited to be doing something in a post-Cataclysm environment other than punching bad guys in alleyways? Perhaps something along the lines of rebuilding/leading the world after Galactus messed up a fair portion of it? She may have understandably left the mutant nation (assuming it still exists after Cataclysm), but her talents in politics, economics, diplomatic experience, guerrilla tactics, etc, seem to indicate her talents and experience is largely wasted acting as a street crime deterrent.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's my point though. Isn't someone who's an established leader (in both war and peace time) better suited to be doing something in a post-Cataclysm environment other than punching bad guys in alleyways? Perhaps something along the lines of rebuilding/leading the world after Galactus messed up a fair portion of it? She may have understandably left the mutant nation (assuming it still exists after Cataclysm), but her talents in politics, economics, diplomatic experience, guerrilla tactics, etc, seem to indicate her talents and experience is largely wasted acting as a street crime deterrent.

But i doubt the "Serpent Skulls" are a simple street gang. They might also need to restore order after Cataclysm.

Latest posts

Back