Silver Surfer (Slott/Allred) SPOILERS

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
March 2014.

"Silver Surfer's going to meet a kindred spirit in a woman from Earth. You're going to find out that the universe is more fun when you see it with someone."

Sounds very Doctor-Who like.

1375020_10151936905366469_11956425_n.jpg

Re: Silver Surfer (Slott/Allred)

Has anyone read #1? It was a great issue. Looking forward to more.

The issue was also so well received that it inspired someone to make a song about Silver Surfer.

[video=youtube;aSUAADRuaWE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aSUAADRuaWE[/video]

I didn't realize we had a thread for this.

I really liked #1 and the lighthearted fun tone it seems to have set. So many Silver Surfer stories are pretty dark, serious, and gloomy. He's a tragic character but I don't think it's crucial that he's written that way.

The Allred art certainly helps with that. I feel like I could read just about anything he draws.

This is miles better than any of Slott's recent Spider-Man crap.

I want to like this comic, I really do. A non-mopey Silver Surfer, Mike Allred, and cosmic exploration is right up my alley but Slott is just writing really bad Doctor Who fan-fiction and it's just really boring. The art sure is pretty though.

I want to like this comic, I really do. A non-mopey Silver Surfer, Mike Allred, and cosmic exploration is right up my alley but Slott is just writing really bad Doctor Who fan-fiction and it's just really boring. The art sure is pretty though.
It's like you don't like the good things!

:)

I know nothing about Doctor Who so I can't comment on that. But even so, this book is incredibly unique, and I haven't seen anyone else make that comparison.

And boring?! This is, like, the opposite of boring.

I find modern day Doctor Who boring. It's turned into a romantic comedy of sorts. The older episodes were more focused on sci-fi.

I find modern day Doctor Who boring. It's turned into a romantic comedy of sorts. The older episodes were more focused on sci-fi.

I literally know nothing about any of it. So comparisons of this book to Doctor Who don't mean anything to me.

I literally know nothing about any of it. So comparisons of this book to Doctor Who don't mean anything to me.

Oh I was just elaborating on why I don't really care for it. Then again my friend loves modern Doctor Who but hates this book so *shrugs*

I know nothing about Doctor Who so I can't comment on that. But even so, this book is incredibly unique, and I haven't seen anyone else make that comparison.

Dan Slott himself made the comparison in an interview before the new series started.

EDIT:
he says it here:
CBR: The Surfer has had ongoing series before, but he's always been a lone wanderer of the space ways. I understand you're changing things up by giving him a traveling companion. Dan, what made you want to take this angle? Was it inspired by another science fiction series that you're known for being a fan of, "Doctor Who?"

Slott: [Laughs] Yes! It's very much that. There's something about the Surfer that's very alien and different from us. So when you pair him up with a set of human eyes it allows him to see the world through those eyes too and it humanizes him.

Last edited:
Interesting. I was speaking in a broader sense, not something that specific, but I hadn't read that interview anyway.

Interesting. I was speaking in a broader sense, not something that specific, but I hadn't read that interview anyway.

Yeah, fair enough. I don't watch Dr Who or read this book, but I just figured I'd chime in since I did read the interview! :)

Doctor Strange and Hulk fighting the classic Hollywood monsters was cool.

"Please tell me I don't sound like that." -Hulk :lol:

I'm wondering if it's not just the house, but Dawn's family and friends that are part of the craziness that's going on in her hometown. The hollywood monster attack, the shielding around Earth not letting Surfer leave, the monster in the sea, the house, the people, are all connected surely.

Next issue I'm going to try to see if I can tell what is going on without reading the dialogue because outside of that I am loving this book. Put it back in and I can't stand it. Allred is pretty damn good storyteller so it may be possible.

This might just be my favorite Marvel book. I can't believe it's written by the same guy that's been churning out mediocre-to-bad Spider-Man stories for the last 80 years or however long he's been on that book.

Latest posts

Back