Avengers Age of Ultron (Bendis/Hitch) (spoilers)

At the end of #3, they went to finally confront who they thought was Ultron, but it wasn't Ultron. It was Vision. It appears at this point that Vision is the one that destroyed the world, enslaved humanity, killed everyone, etc. and made it look like it was Ultron that did it.

Of course, Ultron originally created Vision way back when, so it might just be a trick. The way Bendis handles plot twists (spoiler: he just makes unexpected things happen that make no sense), who knows.

Well I always knew vision was created by ultron and that he eventually returned to being as bad as ultron but was that short period of heroism a fake. Was he just playing the whole time

Re: Age of Ultron (Bendis/Hitch) March 2013. Spoilers.

Well I always knew vision was created by ultron and that he eventually returned to being as bad as ultron but was that short period of heroism a fake. Was he just playing the whole time

Spoilers for #4:

Ultron is using Vision as a puppet and is controlling him from the future.

It was mildly interesting how Vision was hanging there and with his "guts" hanging out looked like Ultimate Vision in the bunker in Ultimate Nightmare.

Spoilers for #4:

Ultron is using Vision as a puppet and is controlling him from the future.

It was mildly interesting how Vision was hanging there and with his "guts" hanging out looked like Ultimate Vision in the bunker in Ultimate Nightmare.

Wow that's interesting.

Issue #5 was actually somewhat interesting. The whole idea that Wolverine decides to use the time machine to kill Pym while the others want to stop Ultron in the future is a nice dynamic.

However, it should have been #1. This is a time travel story. We know it's going to be retconned. Too many have died. What makes AGE OF ULTRON unique, the fun aspect, is that the two hero teams are at cross purposes in time. So #1 shows us the hellish world. All the first four issues do is give exposition. There's no turns. World is ruined. The team decides to time travel to fix it. That's one issue. Not five. Maybe two, if you really want to set up the feeling of desperation (which is fine and certainly well worth considering).

Last edited:

Bendis is writing two stories in which time travel is a major element of the story: Age of Ultron and All New X-Men.

In All-New X-Men, the old X-Men come to the present and interact with present day characters. There's no continuity screwups or glitches.

In Age of Ultron they are going back in time to remove Ultron so he doesn't exist anymore in the future.

How does that make sense?

Bendis and editors have said that the X-Men'd presence in the future will have consequences, and more specifically that it will have some effect to be tied with the cosmic books (that last part Bendis said in a newsarama interview last October).

Bendis is writing two stories in which time travel is a major element of the story: Age of Ultron and All New X-Men.

In All-New X-Men, the old X-Men come to the present and interact with present day characters. There's no continuity screwups or glitches.

In Age of Ultron they are going back in time to remove Ultron so he doesn't exist anymore in the future.

How does that make sense?

It doesn't. Which is why I ignore cross-title continuity if I can help it.

Re: Age of Ultron (Bendis/Hitch) March 2013.

I hope they bring back Miracleman. After their stellar use of the Sentry, I can't see how it could go wrong.

Also, Age of Ultron is balls. Here's the problem: the idea of starting "in media res" is to solidify Ultron's threat so we go, "Wow. They're so beaten, how will they come back from this?!" But it actually works the reverse because the methods by which Ultron "won" are so vague we inherently understand that Bendis can deus ex his way out of this predicament. The "rules" of Ultron's victory don't exist, so we can't get excited by how they'll defeat him as we've know way to base out expectations. On the other hand, had we had say, a three part story in which Ultron *actually won* through a brilliant plan, then we'd be "oh boy, how are they going to get out of this!" But they didn't do that because it is far too hard. This is the east way out. Why write a gripping action story that turns when you can just skip right into the middle and improvise an ending?

I diagree. I'll get into details later, but it's become pretty clear further into the series that "defeating Ultron" isn't what the story is about. Which isn't to say I think it's good... Just that your interpretation of how the story needs to be told precludes a number of possibilities that Bendis could have taken if he were just a better writer.

But for now, I'll just leave you to reflect on this. CYCLOPS lost an eye and now goes by the name CABLE.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

At least the art is good. Brandon Peterson is a good fit as a spell for Hitch. They should've just let Peterson do the whole thing.

As for the story...it's no longer about Ultron. It's about Wolverine and Sue Storm time traveling, and the butterfly effect. Bass's point about the storytelling is completely moot at this point. It's not even the same story.

When Bendis is bad, he's seriously the worst.

Age of Ultron (Bendis/Hitch) March 2013. Spoilers.

Actually my point is entirely relevant. Remember, I said that Bendis ignored the mechanics of how Ultron took over the world and hid them in the backstory so he could deus ex machina his way out of the story.

Cue: time travel.

But, note that they don't time travel to the most logical and safe place to stop Ultron: just before his attack. If they travel there, it has the smallest effect on the temporal continuum and it allows the heroes to team up with their past selves with future knowledge and stop Ultron. But, they instead go the the future (?!?!) or to the past to kill Pym (nice idea, but why don't they kill Ultron's first incarnation after Pym sees how evil it is? At that point Pym is guilt-ridden and wouldn't try to make a better Ultron). Basically they go anywhere where Bendis doesn't have to write how Ultron took over the world. And now, he's gone into a totally separate story.

This is LOST writing: create a mystery, piqué the audience, deus ex machina out if it, and start another story and hope no one notices.

Age of Ultron #10 leaked a little bit ago. I just read it.

I've never been so underwhelmed by a comic. It's incredible the hype this is getting over absolutely nothing. Spoilers herein.

First, there are two big reveals. The first is Angela appearing after seemingly being plucked out of her time stream or something because of a huge time quake caused by Wolverine jumping around the timestream so much. She will be appearing in Guardians of the Galaxy #5 and is being called the guardian angel of the universe.

The second is that Galactus appears to have been transported to the Ultimate Universe and there will be a series titled "Hunger" coming in July.

That's it. The big thing that was so secret that Joe Quesadilla had to draw it himself is the very thing they revealed to the press a few weeks ago. So in other words, it wasn't a secret at all. I had to search to see how many pages were listed in the original solicitation because I couldn't believe there was more to it; I thought there were pages missing.

I left out the convoluted ridiculousness that was the defeat of Ultron. Typical Bendis stupidity.

What a waste of time this series was. Who cares that Angela is in the Marvel Universe now? So what?

I'm surprised they didn't just leave both Wolverines alive in the previous issue - it would explain how he's everywhere at once.

He posted on his message board. This is good.

I'm not thrilled. I feel like one of those filmmakers who sees there is a torrent of their movie made from a home movie cam. it is annoying because, on top of the fact that weasels are weasels and **** weasels, what is online does not represent the quality of the final product

I saw it and the pages are out of order and some are missing and it's very lo-res to the point of blurry. it's not what the book looks like at all.

just wait one more day and you can see it the way it was meant to be seen. there's some really amazing artwork in this book… joey q, marquez, alex maleev, etc. don't spoil it for yourself.

I don't know who I make stories for but I know I don't make it for people who try to spoil stories for other people.

imagine someone shows you the last 15 minutes of a movie but only in 30 second intervals and minutes 2 and 7 are missing and its kind of blurry. I don't care if that movie is the godfather, it wouldn't be a satisfying experience.

wednesday…THEN you can yell at me

"I don't know who I make stories for but I know I don't make it for people who try to spoil stories for other people."

Yeah, I don't know either.

He's the writer we need, but not the one we deserve.

Or something.

CBR must be in the tank for Marvel or something. They give this a glowing 4.5/5 star review. Obviously you all are missing the true genius that is Bendis.

This is my favorite part:

"While Bendis wraps up the story admirably, it's the pleasantly-lengthy epilogue where minds in comic shops everywhere will ultimately be blown. Spoilers abound regarding the return of an otherwise-unexpected character at story's end, but there are plenty of other surprises. Among them, the extent of the damage to the fabric of reality caused by Wolverine's time hopping; an extent that might reach further than many might expect. Bendis pulls off the kind of way-cool surprises that can bring forth the inner twelve-year-old of anyone who calls themselves a Marvel fan."

So there you have it. Bendis writes for 12 yr olds.

I love how it's Wolverine's fault. Because he's the only one who's time traveled a lot... :?

KANG!!!!

But seriously, I was about to post the same thing that mike did.

CBR is obviously taking money from these companies.

Latest posts

Back