Avengers Uncanny Avengers by Rick Remender (spoilers!)

Re: Uncanny Avengers by Rick Remender and John Cassaday (spoilers!)

Remender Expands The Cast Of "Uncanny Avengers"

Writer Rick Remender welcomes team members Wonder Man, Wasp and Sunfire to he and John Cassaday's best-selling "Uncanny Avengers" launch, and the scribe discusses the cast, the long term plan, shipping delays and more.

1352926606.jpg

Regarding the delays:

Next question, from Word Balloon: Are there "assurances" that #3 and #4 come out on time? Brevoort says that, as always, there are assurances until something goes wrong, and Coipel drawing #5 is part of addressing that. "I know it sucks when the books are late and running behind, and everybody hates that in the moment," Brevoort says, adding that in 30 to 60 days there likely will be an announcement about another regular artist on Uncanny Avengers.

Brevoort continues, saying that Astonishing X-Men, years later, still sells in collected editions in part because Cassaday's work is so good, so he has to weigh the long game against the short game. "I don't think that there is really any step down going from John to Olivier. I'm sorry about it. It sucks, I know. I don't like it anymore than you do, but what I like most at the end of the day is excellent comics, and sometimes that means I have to give a guy an extra week."

"As a fan, I would rather have a beautiful John Cassaday comic that ships 10 days later than it was listed to ship, than to have five other artists dog piling on it to make the deadline," Remender adds. "It's going to be worth a couple weeks' wait."

#5 is currently going to be scheduled for February.

And we finally get what we need to know from the title's delay: It was Marvel's fault.

From CBR's Axel-In-Charge:

Kiel Phegley: Axel, earlier this week we got some news about a cast expansion in "Uncanny Avengers," but what most of the fans have been asking about with that book of late have been the shipping delays. Are we right to assume that so far, this is just a matter of giving John Cassaday some more time to get the issue completed?

Axel Alonso
: Yep. We put together an…aggressive production schedule because we really wanted "Uncanny Avengers" to be the opening shot of Marvel NOW! We knew going in that it was going to be real tight because Cass had some other commitments. So what it boils down to is, we don't want to rush it.

Preview page from #2 from Comixology.

e98469367e31e2a82e5126963b4a158b.jpg

Thor's forehead looks caveman-y. And he has no eyebrows.

This book is insane. #3 has Red Sull, with Xavier's brain, mind controlling people to make them kill mutants.

He gets a mutant who can turn off the X-gene when she looks mutants in the eye to shut off Wolverine's healing factor, then he makes Thor (why is this the first time I've seen Red Skull go after Thor like this? It should've happened a long time ago) smash Wolverine in the head.

I like that this book seems to be going for the overarching, huge, epic storyline like Remender's Uncanny X-Force did. And I like these characters more.

I'm digging Cassaday's work as well. Good book.

Why has no one tried drowning Wolverine? Or maybe the Hulk throwing him into space? Wouldn't the lack of oxygen kill him (in either case)? Just wondering if that's ever been attempted or explained away in the comics.

Bit off topic but the mention of Red Skull turning off Wolverine's healing factor got me wondering.

Wasn't drowning Wolverine part of the Xavier Protocols (I think that's what they are called - the protocol for killing each of the X-Men if needed)?

Uncanny X-Force spoilers:

Isn't that how Wolverine killed Daken?

Issue 3 was so much better than the first two. I've seen some people online complaining about all the narration but I loved it.

Issue 3 was so much better than the first two. I've seen some people online complaining about all the narration but I loved it.

Me too. It was hilariously bombastic.

Anyone who disagrees is probably a rapist.

I had no problem with the narration. The issue was great and I loved that Wolverine went into beserker mode. It's been a long while.

Uncanny Avengers by Rick Remender and John Cassaday (spoilers!)

Same here. In fact, I've added this to my pull list at my LCS, an honor reserved for only the best of the best. Marvel should be honored.

The fun continues (via Bleeding Cool):

"Uncanny Avengers #5, the Olivier Coipel issue, has now moved from 27th February to 20th March. So Daniel Acuna's debut on the title, Uncanny Avengers #5, has slipped from 13th of March to 3rd of April. Uncanny Avengers #4 is still scheduled for the 20th of February, though originally solicited for last January,"

Acuna's debut is #6, though, not #5. That'd be a typo.

Last edited:

I like Acuña a lot but would have preferred Cassaday stayed, even if he was late. Or at least someone who has a similar style to Cassaday's.

Uncanny Avengers by Rick Remender and John Cassaday (spoilers!)

I don't see the point in following a comic book series if the creative team can't be bothered to stay on. If its too pointless an endeavor for them to make, why should I waste my time and money reading it?

I don't see the point in following a comic book series if the creative team can't be bothered to stay on. If its too pointless an endeavor for them to make, why should I waste my time and money reading it?

Saying it like thy makes it seem like the team was like, "Screw it, I don't feel like staying on this anymore, I'm out." That isn't the case here, and for the most part, in other books too.

The problem is that Marvel tells us that the creative teams that launch the books are staying on for quite some time, which most of the time never is true, artist wise, anyways. What they're really doing is using the big names to help launch the books to attract people in, which is fine. When it's a "high-profile" book, you want to make sure there's more to drawing people in besides the name of the book for a higher success rate of selling and all. But they shouldn't say so-and-so is staying on for whatever amount of time when they know that isn't the case. If the whatever person is helping launch a book and is doing just that, I don't see why that can't be just said.

Latest posts

Back