Avengers Sentry series discussion [Jenkins/Lee] [spoilers]

Re: The Sentry TPB.

On a whim, I decided to re-read this.

I love it so much. It's so good. And it makes it that much sadder that Bendis RUINED THE CHARACTER. I hate Bendis. What a hack he is.

I wish I could make a serum that broadcast a memory-dampening signal so I could feel the same wonder and confusion that I felt the first time I read this. Because it is pretty epic.

Also, I feel bad that in another thread I knocked this for being a Miracleman ripoff. It's clearly inspired, but moves in a different direction. It wasn't fair of me.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This was so good. It was art was incredible. It fit the book perfectly. I loved the how it used silver age stuff to show flashbacks. It was nothing like the Sentry in New Avengers I've seen. I loved his and Reed's friendship. The best parts of the books was with him and The Hulk. I love the issues of them standing ready for the Void and remembering back on the how they remembered The Sentry. This is one of the best ever. EVER. I loved the Void connection. This is top notch. Thanks to E and Ice for the
recomendation
A+

I wonder if he still feels the same way.

To be honest though, a lot of what Bendis did with the character (craziness, the Void being a split personality, Robert Reynolds being a junkie) came out of Sentry Vol. 2 (aka Sentry:Reborn) and that was written by Jenkins.

To be honest though, a lot of what Bendis did with the character (craziness, the Void being a split personality, Robert Reynolds being a junkie) came out of Sentry Vol. 2 (aka Sentry:Reborn) and that was written by Jenkins.

Didn't they run concurrently, though? Bendis actively destroyed the character - the second Jenkins mini just read as an editorial mandate written by a guy who had no idea what to write about.

I've recently had an idea for this character, having the extreme temperatures of the sun burning away Robert Reynolds, and The Void. The Sentry returns with say a white costume as opposed to the yellow one. and returns to earth where he is hated and feared by humanity. He becomes the hero that noone wants. But he still acts in humanities best interest, acting alone to save the earth and such. The Avengers gather to put a stop to him fearing that he'd just breakdown again, so he leaves earth to discover a new purpose in the universe... maybe replacing Adam Magus as the avatar of Life.

Basically IMO the only way to salvage The Sentry as a character, would be to introduce him to the world of the cosmic abstracts, and give him something to fight for

Gemini said:
I've recently had an idea for this character, having the extreme temperatures of the sun burning away Robert Reynolds, and The Void. The Sentry returns with say a white costume as opposed to the yellow one. and returns to earth where he is hated and feared by humanity. He becomes the hero that noone wants. But he still acts in humanities best interest, acting alone to save the earth and such. The Avengers gather to put a stop to him fearing that he'd just breakdown again, so he leaves earth to discover a new purpose in the universe... maybe replacing Adam Magus as the avatar of Life.

Basically IMO the only way to salvage The Sentry as a character, would be to introduce him to the world of the cosmic abstracts, and give him something to fight for

That might be kind of cool. Good ideas.

Latest posts

Back