"Who Would You Like to Replace Bendis on Ultimate Spider-Man??"

the watcher

I was thinking Bendis has got to be getting kind of tired of writing for Ultimate U. Possibly he's waiting to establish Miles as the new Spider-Man. So who would you like to come in and replace Bendis and the new Ultimate Spider-Man writer?

I was thinking Dan Slott. I think he's doing a fantastic job as the Amazing Spider-Man writer. And I think he would do a equally or possible better job as Bendis. What do you think?

The way he's been writing lately, I kinda don't want anybody else on the book. It's pretty clear that Bendis' heart is in this new character, and he seems pretty invested in him in ways a new author may not be. Remember, all other authors who have written good Spider-man comics have written good Peter Parkers, and it's crucial that Miles is more than just a black Peter Parker. Maybe once this series gets much further and Miles becomes more established, somebody new could try their hand at it, but for now I actually think that Bendis is the only one who SHOULD be writing it.

The way he's been writing lately, I kinda don't want anybody else on the book. It's pretty clear that Bendis' heart is in this new character, and he seems pretty invested in him in ways a new author may not be. Remember, all other authors who have written good Spider-man comics have written good Peter Parkers, and it's crucial that Miles is more than just a black Peter Parker. Maybe once this series gets much further and Miles becomes more established, somebody new could try their hand at it, but for now I actually think that Bendis is the only one who SHOULD be writing it.

Perhaps but I think the Ultimate Universe does need some new blood and frankly even USM might be interesting with a new perspective, instead of same we have been getting for the past 12 years. I think a lot of writers could write Miles well.

At this point Bendis' writing style kinda bugs me, I really don't like his type of dialogue, it seems really forced and phony and trying to be hip and failing at it. Maybe at least there should be some sort of USM mini series, written by someone else.

I completely agree with this.

Also, Bendis' Miles kinda got me back into Ultimate Spider-Man.

Getting a lapsed reader interested again is really the only reason one needs to keep Bendis writing THIS Spider-Man.

Perhaps but I think the Ultimate Universe does need some new blood
It does have new blood. This Second Renaissance of the Ultimate Universe has seen, Bendis notwithstanding, nothing but new blood. And that's good! They're telling great stories on a grander scale that feel like a natural evolution of the initial concepts behind the universe (especially Hickman's Ultimates). The first attempt at breathing new life into the line, meanwhile, was done with nothing but the old guard, and didn't work out too well. But the key there is that the old writers were failing. If an author is performing well, why replace him just for the sake of replacing him?

even USM might be interesting with a new perspective, instead of same we have been getting for the past 12 years.

We are. Miles is a completely new perspective. One of the greatest successes of this new Spider-man has been how he has managed to stand apart from Peter, rather than just retread old ideas and concepts. He's a different character coming at this from a totally different background. If that's not a new perspective than what we've been getting for the past 12 years, then I don't know what is.

At this point Bendis' writing style kinda bugs me, I really don't like his type of dialogue, it seems really forced and phony and trying to be hip and failing at it.

That's fair. I don't have the same issues with it, at least not to the extent that you seem to, and the Miles stuff definitely hasn't been as "Bendis" as some other stuff he's written, but I could see why this would make you want somebody new. The problem is, this character is still being established, and that sort of establishment is generally best left to the people who created the character in the first place. Replacing Bendis so early in the game is risking the character lacking a standard for other writers to adhere to. For other writers to write Miles, there first has to be a Miles for them to write, and that character is still being created.

Latest posts

Back