Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

"Oh my God, you're one of them!"

"Leave me alone, or I'll tell the world about you."

These are lines said by a random dude who is shocked by Jessica Jones' super strength; both are seconds apart from each other in the first episode of Jessica Jones. I'm still watching it at the moment, but I would assume that it takes place during the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 3 timespan with the Inhuman outbreak.

Last edited:
In the second episode there's a clear shot of the MetLife building (the one that was torn down and replaced by Stark Tower)

In Ep 3, Luke says that the only people with powers he's heard about is the big green guy and his friends

EDIT: there's a direct reference to the battle of New York, so the MetLife is a continuity error not indication of it being pre-avengers

EDIT 2: MetLife building just showed up again in Ep 7 (and probably before that but I just didn't notice)

EDIT 3: Jessica just visited Saint Vincent hospital but irl that hospital closed down in 2010

Last edited:
In the second episode there's a clear shot of the MetLife building (the one that was torn down and replaced by Stark Tower)

In Ep 3, Luke says that the only people with powers he's heard about is the big green guy and his friends

EDIT: there's a direct reference to the battle of New York, so the MetLife is a continuity error not indication of it being pre-avengers

EDIT 2: MetLife building just showed up again in Ep 7 (and probably before that but I just didn't notice)

EDIT 3: Jessica just visited Saint Vincent hospital but irl that hospital closed down in 2010

Ok... Winter 2014? Maybe?

That would place it just a month or so after Daredevil Season 1.

Last edited:
I'd say it's more likely early 2015 because when Kilgrave's chauffeur talks to the Kumbaya Circle-Jerk (Robyn's words not mine) he says that he couldn't really see who he was talking to because everyone was so bundled up in coats and scarves and stuff

That also fits with it being filmed between February and August 2015

Last edited:
Wait. In Episode 2 when Jessica disguises herself as a nurse, she asks for the bus crush file from "a year ago"; which occured on January 20, 2014.

So yeah, you were right SSnorlax. Early 2015 (January or February; since it's visible cold outside) is when this show takes place.

(I will say, the writing in Jessica Jones is OUTSTANDING. Partially because the dialogue 100% realistic and not the typical cliche kind you would hear in Arrow or Supergirl.)

Last edited:
So after watching the first two episodes of Jessica Jones, its clear its set in January, 2015, or thereabouts. As said, there's a clear indicator on the computer screen that the bus crash occurred on January 20, 2014, and this is said to have occurred a year ago. I believe the "year ago" reference may be almost exact based on Kilgrave's reappearance and penchant for anniversaries. If not January, February at the latest due to the prevalence of snow on the ground and cold weather. It's also likely later than December due to no Christmas/holiday displays. So, January, 2015 seems like an apt placement.

I wondered about this with Daredevil too...given that it shows up in all the marketing materials featuring the NYC skyline, and the frequent Avengers references, it seems distinctly odd that Stark/Avengers tower hasn't been visible in any of the Netflix shows thus far. I suspect it's a combination of wanting to ground the Netflix Defenders in the "real New York" and not having the effects budget extend to putting the Tower in the stock footage. (Might be a legal issue with whatever special contract they signed with the city too; who knows.)

I did love that Trish out-and-out called the "incident" an alien attack; when most of the characters on Daredevil and Jessica Jones seem to side-step the issue. She may be my new favorite MCU superhero. :D

TC

Budding seems more like April to me. But I also agree with your. earlier post that killgrave likely followed the anniversary. meaning jan 2015. Perhaps more clues will reveal themselves as the series progresses.

Budding seems more like April to me. But I also agree with your. earlier post that killgrave likely followed the anniversary. meaning jan 2015. Perhaps more clues will reveal themselves as the series progresses.

Its possible more time is passing than seems to be based on passing of days in episodes and most following one after the other (or picking up the next day).

The way I see it is that it wasn't necessarily the anniversary, but definitely around a year ago. I figure it picks up in mid to late February and by episode 7 has progressed into March. The entirety of the season probably lasts around 2 months, maybe less. I'm only 8 episodes in by using the timeline of those first 8 episodes and comparing it to Daredevil in terms of time span makes me think it'll only last a couple months.

I can't remember which episode the scene took place in as I'm still watching, but in the flashback where her family have the accident I'm almost positive her brothers Game Boy is yellow. This is either a Vibrant Yellow Game Boy (Released in 1995) or a Dandelion yellow Game Boy Colour (Released in 1998 ).
I know it's not concrete evidence but it narrows it down to the late 90's.

Last edited:
I can't remember which episode the scene took place in as I'm still watching, but in the flashback where her family have the accident I'm almost positive her brothers Game Boy is yellow. This is either a Vibrant Yellow Game Boy (Released in 1995) or a Dandelion yellow Game Boy Colour (Released in 1998 ).
I know it's not concrete evidence but it narrows it down to the late 90's.

I didn't separate those flashback scenes since most of them are presented as memories with Jessica's current day version witnessing those past events thought memories. The only one that doesn't feature the adult Jessica is the car crash scene (with the Gameboy you referred to), but that too is obviously presented as a present day memory of those past events while Jessica is in elevator.

I COULD separate out that one car crash scene, but its then completely without context and doesn't make any sense in the larger MCU narrative. To me it seems intended as a memory of a past event occurring in present day, as opposed to a flashback scene of a past event that requires separating into a different entry.

I get all that, but if you place that one scene with the flashbacks in episode 11 it'll make sense. It helps narrow those down too which can be separated.

I get all that, but if you place that one scene with the flashbacks in episode 11 it'll make sense. It helps narrow those down too which can be separated.

I'm just about to watch episode 11 now so I'll do that.

Edited to include those flashbacks.

Also, in episode 12, at 21:19 into the episode, Trish's mother shows her hospital bills that she received after adopting Jessica. The statement is dated 4/13/00. Presumably this places the car accident that killed Jessica's parents and brother in early 2000, possibly in late 1999, but given that she was still banged up when Trish and her mom visited in the hospital and her mother revealed she was adopting Jessica, that scene likely occurred a few days at most after the accident. While its impossible to place a day or even month on the accident itself, I think its safe to assume it occurred in early 2000, perhaps during Spring Break (late March, 2000).

That would allow for a couple weeks between the accident, Trish and her mom visiting Jessica at hospital and Mrs. Walker revealing the adoption a few days at most after the accident itself. Most adoptions usually take longer, but it could be argued Mrs. Walker's celebrity status as Trish's mom and manager afforded her a speedy adoption, especially for publicity.

Also, Ruben's sister mentioned he'd ordered that item (at the 34:00 minute mark onward) two weeks ago, meaning only about 2 weeks max passed between episodes 1x07 "AKA Top Shelf Perverts" (
where Ruben dies
) and episode 1x12 "AKA Take a Bloody Number".

Last edited:
I'm just about to watch episode 11 now so I'll do that.

Edited to include those flashbacks.

Also, in episode 12, at 21:19 into the episode, Trish's mother shows her hospital bills that she received after adopting Jessica. The statement is dated 4/13/00. Presumably this places the car accident that killed Jessica's parents and brother in early 2000, possibly in late 1999, but given that she was still banged up when Trish and her mom visited in the hospital and her mother revealed she was adopting Jessica, that scene likely occurred a few days at most after the accident. While its impossible to place a day or even month on the accident itself, I think its safe to assume it occurred in early 2000, perhaps during Spring Break (late March, 2000).

That would allow for a couple weeks between the accident, Trish and her mom visiting Jessica at hospital and Mrs. Walker revealing the adoption a few days at most after the accident itself. Most adoptions usually take longer, but it could be argued Mrs. Walker's celebrity status as Trish's mom and manager afforded her a speedy adoption, especially for publicity.

Also, Ruben's sister mentioned he'd ordered that item (at the 34:00 minute mark onward) two weeks ago, meaning only about 2 weeks max passed between episodes 1x07 "AKA Top Shelf Perverts" (
where Ruben dies
) and episode 1x12 "AKA Take a Bloody Number".

Thinking back, that makes more sense. When
Killgrave looks at the height chart in Jessica's old house
The tallest height is 14. Which would make Jessica around 29/30 at the time of the show.

You probably already noticed this, but Kilgrave's collection of Jessica's daily selfies could indicate the days passing.

Yes, in that episode where he sailed through several of her photographs (and based on the knowledge she has to send one per day at 10am), I accounted for several days passing between those episodes.

Since we have no firm dates to work off (we know Jan 20, 2014 was a year ago, but we don't know it was exactly a year ago, and from which day, etc), so I can't try to assign hard dates beyond the month. :(

Mike Colter Reveals Where And When Marvel's Luke Cage Will Take Place

"I can tell you what they've allowed me to, which is basically, Luke Cage will take place a few months after Jessica Jones," Colter said. "So in real time, if you watch Jessica Jones, you'll find [at the end] Luke Cage uptown in Harlem, working, trying to make ends meet. Luke Cage really hasn't figured out what he's doing. He's tending bar, he's bouncing around. And for good reason, he's a fugitive, he has some skeletons in his closet.

Wonder if that means Luke Cage is going to pick up in Summer, 2015, then?

We'll see, as such rough estimates are never set in stone.

Latest posts

Back