Ultimate Captain America (Jason Aaron/Ron Garney)

I already hate the gritty look being given to Cap here. Ultimate Cap isn't an anti-hero. He's the TEENSIEST bit more hard-edge that 616 Cap, but for some reason everybody reads that as "thug".

I already hate the gritty look being given to Cap here. Ultimate Cap isn't an anti-hero. He's the TEENSIEST bit more hard-edge that 616 Cap, but for some reason everybody reads that as "thug".

I think the cap shown in the preview isn't Steve Rogers, the costume looks a bit different and this bit seems to be set in Vietnam or something.

He was never *that* big of a dick...seriously, because he beat up Hank and Thor, he's painted as this huge a**hole.

He was never *that* big of a dick...seriously, because he beat up Hank and Thor, he's painted as this huge a**hole.

Yeah I hate how they go over board with that trait. He's a tough bad ass soldier. Not a complete dick

I never said he was "that big of a dick"....hence the -ish following my usage of the word.

Ultimate Cap is, however, certainly a bigger dick than 616 Cap ever was or will be, so I think my point is apt. And for awhile now, its an endearing trait of the character (in my opinion) thats been over-looked and under-utilized.

Yeah I hate how they go over board with that trait. He's a tough bad ass soldier. Not a complete dick

Jesus...you guys realize you're stoking the fires for "Comic Book Nerd Nitpickers" label?

I wouldn't call it going overboard, but thats only my opinion. And again, since its an aspect of the character thats been pretty much non-existant for the past 5 years, I think calling it "overboard" in those regards makes little sense.

Jesus...you guys realize you're stoking the fires for "Comic Book Nerd Nitpickers" label?

I wouldn't call it going overboard, but thats only my opinion. And again, since its an aspect of the character thats been pretty much non-existant for the past 5 years, I think calling it "overboard" in those regards makes little sense.

Well honestly I haven't read an Ultimate comic in sometime but in the preview he just had an unnecessary dickish attitude. I prefer Bad ass Cap over dick cap. Sometimes there's an over lap but in the preview it seems they were leaning too much to the latter

So what do people think of issue one? It seemed far too short to me, but I still liked it. Who is
Frank Simpson
in the 616 universe? And how did they get his blood from that Jung guy?

So what do people think of issue one? It seemed far too short to me, but I still liked it. Who is
Frank Simpson
in the 616 universe? And how did they get his blood from that Jung guy?

I liked it but also thought it was too short. He is
Nuke
in the 616 verse, and I guess he's selling his blood since it has the super soldier serum in it.

Vietnam Captain America will be Ultimate Nuke. Just sayin'.

Yep. Called it.

Do like the idea that he's got his head on a bit tighter than the 616 version, and is capable of something like, you know, thinking... But I think we have to get the red white and blue pills at some point.

Last edited:
I liked it. I like the attitude...it's a little out of character but it fits.

Or maybe it isn't out of character. Maybe just a little more extreme? I'm comparing him to Ultimates/Ultimates 2 Cap in my head.

Well honestly I haven't read an Ultimate comic in sometime but in the preview he just had an unnecessary dickish attitude. I prefer Bad ass Cap over dick cap. Sometimes there's an over lap but in the preview it seems they were leaning too much to the latter

Fair enough. I don't think Bad-Ass Cap and Dick Cap are mutually exclusive either. They're just aspects of the character, not the entirety. So if he occasionally acts like a dick (as a reflection of his mood or events going on in his life), I don't mind it. Besides, its usually funny.

I liked it. I like the attitude...it's a little out of character but it fits.

Or maybe it isn't out of character. Maybe just a little more extreme? I'm comparing him to Ultimates/Ultimates 2 Cap in my head.

This is what I'm saying...of course, I have only read the preview, not the issue yet, so take that with a grain of salt.

Yep. Called it.

Do like the idea that he's got his head on a bit tighter than the 616 version, and is capable of something like, you know, thinking... But I think we have to get the red white and blue pills at some point.

Interesting to note is that he is almost like a subversion of the 616 Nuke. He only kills one person is the comic, Jung, and it is not out of rage but probably for destroying evidence or keeping the North Koreans from reverse engineering his serum. He would have easily killed the SAS and Cap but he didn't, instead opting to flee. He also warns the North Koreans to not to use his Super Soldier tech against the South too, keeping him away from being the stereotypical evil illegal arms dealer.

Last edited:
No comments on this since issue #1? I thought this was really good. Aaron "gets" Ultimate Captain America...you guys were talking about the misconception that he's a thug and wondered if Aaron would mischaracterize him and I think he did a great job. Just like he said in his quote - Cap *is* more narrow-minded than his 616 counterpart but his intentions are just as pure. The whole part about rejecting God before the snake appeared was a little out of character (it didn't seem right when Cap questioned God at the end of Ultimate Galactus, either) but it was pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

This was so good. Jason Aaron rewriting Apocalypse Now with Captain America.

I finally got to sit down and read this in it's entirety. Pretty good stuff.

Honestly, this, the great ult Thor mini, the decent Death of Spider-Man stuff, the incredibly surprisingly good Ult X by Loeb and Adams, and the strong out of the gate showing by Hickman on Ultimates and Ult Hawkeye have me excited to read Ultimate comics again, for the first time in at least 4 years. I'm glad they seem to have turned it around quality-wise, and am genuinely interested to see how this universe continues. Lots of cool stuff on the horizon, especially Reed as the new Doom and seeing where Hickmans run goes. I'm even piqued to read about Miles Morales as a new Spider-Man. Not sold on the new Ult X-Men comic, though mutants being outlawed and rioting after the announcement the x-gene was created by the government sounds like it'll make for an interesting set-up, so we'll see. It's not perfect, but it doesn't need to be. It just needed to improve vastly on the Ultimates 3, New Ultimates, Ultimatum era, and it seems to be accomplishing that and moreso.

I still don't like this mini. I don't think Cap, even in the Ultimate Universe, would say something as obnoxious as "Anyone here speak American?". He isn't a Southern right-wing nutjob. I don't think he "got" the character at all, and the mini definitely hasn't helped the bewildering notion that Ultimate Cap is a thuggish jerk***.

Latest posts

Back