Ultimate Marvel Timeline / Chronology (v 5.0)

Updated for the Marvel Zombies / Marvel Apes crossover stuff. Only included the pages of the Marvel Apes comics where the zombies actually appeared or played a part in the story (hence only the last page of the Marvel Apes stuff being included), but the entirety of Prime Eight is included since the Zombies appear throughout the issue.

Just registered to say thank you. Great work on the timeline!

I have one question... I just read USM #123, and #124. How is Fury back? Admittedly I did not read the non-Ultimate titles in the list, but last I read, he was in another universe. How/when did he get back here in USM?

I have one question... I just read USM #123, and #124. How is Fury back? Admittedly I did not read the non-Ultimate titles in the list, but last I read, he was in another universe. How/when did he get back here in USM?

During Ultimatum. They needed him to help stop Magneto, also it's best you didn't read that.

This being the fifth edition of the time line, I'm sure you've had this discussion before, but I've been rereading my marvel super hero stuff one more time before I head to college and a question on placement has come up.

Ultimate War is listed as taking place after "The Ultimates" concludes, but I picked up on what seemed like several explicit references to it being around the time of issue 7 or 8. The White House official hopes that the Ultimates are as capable as fighting mutants as they are at monsters (no mention of aliens), Hawkeye and the Black Widow have just barely gone public, and Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch are still uncomfortable with their teammates, which I find more believable after issue 7 or 8.

What led you to position the mini after "The Ultimates"?

I love the timeline, and I found it a big help when trying to tackle the entire Ultimate line in order a couple of years ago. Thank you for the time and effort you've put into it.

I was wondering about the placing of Ultimate Enemy though. This may have been touched upon before, but I haven't seen it anywhere that I've looked.

I think that the Ultimate Enemy mini may be set before USM (Vol. 2) #6. I'm basing this whole theory mainly on Bobby and Johnny's hair, but it also seems to me like there's a slight time-lapse between issues 5 and 6 of USM.

I'm aware that the whole hair ting may just be an error on the artists part and, let's face it, Bendis isn't exactly Captain Continuity so he probably wouldn't have picked up on it, but for the sake of continuity (and because it doesn't harm the story in any way), I'd personally put Ultimate Enemy between issues 5 & 6 of USM.

Fury was forced to stay in the Squadron Supreme universe at the end of Ultimate Power. He then appears in the Squadron universe in the Sqaudron Supreme (Vol. 2) series, as listed in the timeline. He returns to the Ultimate universe in Ultimatum. The mention of him in USM #123-124 must be a mistake (or just a mention or accident on part of the character mentioning him), since USM #123-124 occur before USM #129-133 (which occur just prior to and during Ultimatum).

This being the fifth edition of the time line, I'm sure you've had this discussion before, but I've been rereading my marvel super hero stuff one more time before I head to college and a question on placement has come up.

Ultimate War is listed as taking place after "The Ultimates" concludes, but I picked up on what seemed like several explicit references to it being around the time of issue 7 or 8. The White House official hopes that the Ultimates are as capable as fighting mutants as they are at monsters (no mention of aliens), Hawkeye and the Black Widow have just barely gone public, and Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch are still uncomfortable with their teammates, which I find more believable after issue 7 or 8.

What led you to position the mini after "The Ultimates"?

This is probably best answered by a question asked early on in Version 3.0:

Just a moment, just a moment.

I think, emphasis on the word think (seeing as I don't do much of it) that there's a mistake in the timeline....

Ultimate War comes after the entirety of Ultimates volume 1 right? We've even been told that by official sources right? It happens during the one year gap between Ultimates volumes 1 and 2 right?

But take a closer look at the characters Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in particular. They work for the first time with the Ultimates during Ultimate War. This much is evident from their behaviour and dialogue, in particular Wanda, who shows paranoia and distrust before entering the Ultimates' war room. But...... during Homeland Security, Fury mentions something along the lines of SW and QS being moved from black ops to the public team, and it seems everyone already knows them, and has perhaps worked with them.

Now, I don't exactly have the issues to hand, so if there's some piece of dialogue that contradicts me then say so, and I'll skulk away with a red face and not post for a few days out of embarassment. But, I'm sure I remember at least the gist of the characters and plot lines in both Ultimates and Ultimate War.

Fuzzy Birds, I got the impression that things were wierd between the rest of the Ultimates and Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver during Ultimate War because of WHO they were fighting and because of their past affiliations. It would stand to reason that there would be apprehension between the two groups, i.e. when it all comes to a head, which side will those two stand with, etc.

Yeah I thought that myself, but I distinctly remember something Wanda says that heavily implies that Ultimate War was the first official meeting between the siblings and the Ultimates.

Alright, in the first issue of Ultimate War, around page 20 by my count, the Ultimates are holding a staff meeting that the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver walk in on where everybody is giving them the cold shoulder. Finally, Cap breaks the ice by saying that both of them have done enough missions for the US government to warrant being trusted by the Ultimates. Then he goes on to out Black Widow for having a checkered past herself.

So yeah, Ultimate War happens after Ultimates Vol. 1. It isn't apparent, but the fact that Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch are black ops members of the team who haven't done much until the very END of Ultimates Vol. 1, then have done some stuff as mentioned in Ultimate War (and several other factors determined by the continuities of other Ultimate titles) is why I placed it as I did. I honestly can't remember any other specifics than that, but I can say its placement is the one that makes the most sense when factoring in the other titles' continuities, as well as the universe's uber-continuity.

I just confused myself. ;)

I love the timeline, and I found it a big help when trying to tackle the entire Ultimate line in order a couple of years ago. Thank you for the time and effort you've put into it.

I was wondering about the placing of Ultimate Enemy though. This may have been touched upon before, but I haven't seen it anywhere that I've looked.

I think that the Ultimate Enemy mini may be set before USM (Vol. 2) #6. I'm basing this whole theory mainly on Bobby and Johnny's hair, but it also seems to me like there's a slight time-lapse between issues 5 and 6 of USM.

I'm aware that the whole hair ting may just be an error on the artists part and, let's face it, Bendis isn't exactly Captain Continuity so he probably wouldn't have picked up on it, but for the sake of continuity (and because it doesn't harm the story in any way), I'd personally put Ultimate Enemy between issues 5 & 6 of USM.

Read USM (Vol 2) #7-8, which feature Rick Jones. These take place before Ultimate Enemy/Ultimate Mystery/Ultimate Doom because Rick Jones only wakes up from his coma in USM (Vol 2) #7-8, and he'll play a big role in Ultimate Mystery/Doom. Its possible to break it up and place USM (vol. 2) #7-8 after Enemy and before Mystery, but I think it makes more sense to take the approach I have, and leave Enemy/Mystery/Doom together until I'm forced to break them up. As it stands now, though, I see no reason too.

And also, the hair thing you mentioned could be attributed (as you mentioned) to different artists. But putting it between #5 and 6 unnecessarily interupts the flow the the arc (USM Vol 2 #1-6). I have to check when I get home, so I can't remember how #5 end and #6 begins, but I know it involved Spidey going after Mysterio, so I don't think TOO much time happens between #5 and #6.

Also, given the events of Enemy (Peter's house being trashed, Aunt May and Gwen having to hide from the unnamed enemy of UE, etc), I doubt they happen between #5 and #6 with no mention or explanation given in the title of USM itself. Another factor that'll weigh in is Kitty's status in Ultimate Mystery/Doom. If she doesn't appear at all, it would make sense to inch Enemy/Mystery/Doom up, at least before USM (Vol. 2) #9, but I have to wait until Ultimate Mystery (and possibly Ultimate Doom) are released to see if Kitty/Kong are mentioned, shown, etc.

Basically, I have to wait and see. But for now, I think the way I have it makes the most sense when factoring in all those...um, factors. ;)

Yeah I suppose the "wait and see" approach is probably for the best, and clearly you have been doing this for a while now so I suppose I shouldn't question you. Oh well, the worst that can happen is I go through the issues and colour Johnny's hair black lol.

With regards to USM 5 and 6 though, 5 ends with Mysterio realising he has some of Peter's blood, and 6 starts with Peter/Johnny/Bobby/Gwen/Kitty sitting around having dinner, Peter explaining that this is his life now, which sorta suggests to me like he's had a little time to adjust, and it gives Mysterio a bit of time to get his vengeance plan sorted. But lik you say it'l be worth waiting to see what the rest of the trilogy offers before diving in and messing the order around for no good reason :)

This is probably best answered by a question asked early on in Version 3.0:

So yeah, Ultimate War happens after Ultimates Vol. 1. It isn't apparent, but the fact that Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch are black ops members of the team who haven't done much until the very END of Ultimates Vol. 1, then have done some stuff as mentioned in Ultimate War (and several other factors determined by the continuities of other Ultimate titles) is why I placed it as I did. I honestly can't remember any other specifics than that, but I can say its placement is the one that makes the most sense when factoring in the other titles' continuities, as well as the universe's uber-continuity.

I just confused myself. ;)

Thanks dude, for the answer and the time line as a whole.

I got into comics thanks to Ultimate Marvel Team-up, and if I hadn't stumbled on this page while trying to figure out what the 'ultimate' in the title meant I may never got so sucked into such a great art form.

Keep up the good work, even though they keep coming up with cruddy minis for you to wedge in to the chronology. I firmly believe some day these stories will be great again, the line just needs better editing and less bad writing.

Last edited:

During Ultimatum. They needed him to help stop Magneto, also it's best you didn't read that.

Isn't Ultimatum after USM #124?

Fury was forced to stay in the Squadron Supreme universe at the end of Ultimate Power. He then appears in the Squadron universe in the Sqaudron Supreme (Vol. 2) series, as listed in the timeline. He returns to the Ultimate universe in Ultimatum. The mention of him in USM #123-124 must be a mistake (or just a mention or accident on part of the character mentioning him), since USM #123-124 occur before USM #129-133 (which occur just prior to and during Ultimatum).

I haven't read USM #123-124 in a while, but they are part of the 'War of the Symbiotes' arc, which was very flash-back heavy, especially in the first few issues of the story. Are Fury's appearances in the flash backs?

EDIT: oh yeah, he meets Peter on the roof of the Daily Bugle and tells him not to go after the Beetle, knowing he will do the opposite. That was a flashback to the time of the USM video game.

Last edited:
Yeah I suppose the "wait and see" approach is probably for the best, and clearly you have been doing this for a while now so I suppose I shouldn't question you. Oh well, the worst that can happen is I go through the issues and colour Johnny's hair black lol.

With regards to USM 5 and 6 though, 5 ends with Mysterio realising he has some of Peter's blood, and 6 starts with Peter/Johnny/Bobby/Gwen/Kitty sitting around having dinner, Peter explaining that this is his life now, which sorta suggests to me like he's had a little time to adjust, and it gives Mysterio a bit of time to get his vengeance plan sorted. But lik you say it'l be worth waiting to see what the rest of the trilogy offers before diving in and messing the order around for no good reason :)

Not at all, its better to question it, if for nothing else to verify it accuracy (or inaccuracy).

Thanks dude, for the answer and the time line as a whole.

I got into comics thanks to Ultimate Marvel Team-up, and if I hadn't stumbled on this page while trying to figure out what the 'ultimate' in the title meant I may never got so sucked into such a great art form.

Keep up the good work, even though they keep coming up with cruddy minis for you to wedge in to the chronology. I firmly believe some day these stories will be great again, the line just needs better editing and less bad writing.

Thanks.

I haven't read USM #123-124 in a while, but they are part of the 'War of the Symbiotes' arc, which was very flash-back heavy, especially in the first few issues of the story. Are Fury's appearances in the flash backs?

EDIT: oh yeah, he meets Peter on the roof of the Daily Bugle and tells him not to go after the Beetle, knowing he will do the opposite. That was a flashback to the time of the USM video game.

Thats right, I'd forgotten about that. So yeah, Fury's appearances in those issues werem as Cap said, flashbacks to before he went to the Supreme-verse.

DIrishB
I Just want to make a point with the timeline. Ultimate Comics New Ultimates was set 8 months after Ultimatum and featured a New York City still being rebuilt, however in Ultimate Comics Spiderman, New York seems to be rebuilt 6 months after Ultimatum. I have just read Ultimate Comics Mystery issue 1 and noticed that in the background on one of the pages, Roxxon has been destroyed and is in the rebuilding phase. In my opinion i would set the Enemy Trilogy before the start of New Ultimates, as this would account for the damaged buildings seen in issue one of New Ultimates. Also, we have yet to see if their is a romance still with Danvers and Marh-Vell, if we do see that the romance is still continuing in the trilogy, it would make more sense to have the Enemy trilogy set before New Ultimates as it would make a little bit more sense as Stark and Danvers are in a relationship in New Ultimates.

DIrishB
I Just want to make a point with the timeline. Ultimate Comics New Ultimates was set 8 months after Ultimatum and featured a New York City still being rebuilt, however in Ultimate Comics Spiderman, New York seems to be rebuilt 6 months after Ultimatum. I have just read Ultimate Comics Mystery issue 1 and noticed that in the background on one of the pages, Roxxon has been destroyed and is in the rebuilding phase. In my opinion i would set the Enemy Trilogy before the start of New Ultimates, as this would account for the damaged buildings seen in issue one of New Ultimates. Also, we have yet to see if their is a romance still with Danvers and Marh-Vell, if we do see that the romance is still continuing in the trilogy, it would make more sense to have the Enemy trilogy set before New Ultimates as it would make a little bit more sense as Stark and Danvers are in a relationship in New Ultimates.

As for the city being rebuilt thing, thats not such a big deal. It could just be assumed the parts of NYC we see in USM were either not damaged as badly, or just rebuilt sooner than the buildings seen in New Ultimates, etc.

The Danvers/Mahr Vehl/Stark relationship thing is another story. But I honestly think their never was a relationship with Danvers and Mahr Vehl, just a mention or joke of it (by Sue in Ultimate Gah Lak Tus to Danvers if I recall correctly). So, unless there's a mention or showing of some type of romantic relationship between Danvers and Mahr Vehl in Ultimate Mystery or Enemy (which there won't be, I guarantee it), its a moot point.

Also, just ordered a bunch of the Ultimate back issues from the past 3-4 months so I could get caught up on the timeline, so I'll have it updated in the next week or two.

well after 3 months and probably way too much money i finally collected and read it in this order. It was quite enjoyable!

well after 3 months and probably way too much money i finally collected and read it in this order. It was quite enjoyable!

Wow...I tried it once years ago, when it was probably much easier (since there wasn't as much). But now, with all the jumping between books and page counting, I don't think I'd have the patience. Besides, I get enough just updating the damn thing, lol.

There used to be a torrent of all the Ultimate issues, split up by page numbers and followed this timeline, so you could just download it and read it in the timeline's order. Not sure who put it together or if its still around, but it was pretty cool.

Latest posts

Back