American Vampire

So, I read the first issue.

What really surprised me is how much better Scott Snyder's story was than Stephen King's. By which I mean, Snyder's story was incredibly well written.

King's was pretty underwhelming though... And this comes from someone who's a fan of the guy. I haven't read any King stuff in years, but when I was a kid, I must have read well over a dozen of his books in about the course of a year and a half. At his best, his writing is some of the best modern pop fiction around. At the worst, it's mediocre. And while this wasn't terrible, it certainly wasn't great either. I don't know if it's just that he's not used to writing comics or he phoned it in or Snyder just managed to draw the more interesting story or just the fact that King's best stuff comes when he has a lot of space to tell his story, but if I were to base my buy on King's story alone, I wouldn't be sticking around. The writing was just terribly awkward.

That said, this is a must buy, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for anything else Snyder puts out.

I liked it. It wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be but it was interesting. I too enjoyed Snyder's story more than King's, which is a good thing, as it is Snyder's comic and King is only here for the first five issues.

Great art though.

Is anyone read this? It's turned into a great comic.

Latest posts

Back