Avengers Young Avengers: Dark Reign

Valid point, but I think there's a few possible ways of looking at it.

The first is availability. Okay, he's using the name Melter. Why? Well, he wants a name brand. He wants a name that people might recognize, even if they know nothing about the dude himself. And I'd imagine the A-list legacy names aren't just floating around to be gobbled up. The big name legacies are rarely going to be up for grabs because those guys are on top and aren't planning on getting out of the game anytime soon.

Then there's the fact that there aren't a lot of dudes running around who's power is to melt things, you know? If you're a kid, and you discover you have the power to melt things... Well, the first thing you're going to do is melt things. melt a lot of things. for no particular reason. then for particular reasons. But then, if you're smart, you're going to go look around for anyone in the past who's gotten the power to melt things, and you're going to dig up everything you can on the guy, because he has experience, and you can see what he did wrong and what he did right. And yes, I think there is a possibility that kid might become a fan of Melter. Because they have shared experiences, they quite likely have shared objectives in life, and familiarity of experience goes a long way in attitudes towards people.

Plus, dude melts things. What the hell is he going to call himself other than THE MELTER? Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he thought up the name before he even realized there was already a guy with that moniker.

But yeah. I don't think there's a lot of dudes running around the Marvel Universe with Melter t-shirts. Makes you wonder though, if there's a bunch of indie iconoclast kids who follow around specialized "indie" supers, and scoff at the popularity of "mainstream" heroes and villains.

"Dude, did you see Spider-Man save that short bus full of retarded kids from the Green Goblin this afternoon?"
"No. But I did see Elsa Darkstone punch a new hole through the Spot's rectum... poseur."

You got a point.

Melter was an okay villain, he had a motive that explained why he just didn't use the melting tech to get rich (considering he was already a failed industrialist who was forced out of business by government safety inspections, he would have a bad rep in the business world) and melting things is kinda of a cool gimmick, he wasn't a complete loser like Stilt-Man. He was good concept, but the execution just didn't work.

Maybe the new kid is Melter's son or some guy who found his tech.

This was decent. I was really surprised by Mark Brooks's art - it's a lot better than it used to be (less manga-esque, I guess).

As the original Young Avengers turned up at the end, I guess this really is based on Heinberg's original idea for Young Avengers Season 2 - Young Masters of Evil. I presume Marvel got sick of waiting for Heinberg to do it and got Cornell to do it instead.

It's not bad, if Marvel decides to ever do an ongoing, this would serves as a good jump-off point after Heinberg's story.

Issue two ends with Executioner being tied to a really obscure villain, who's name I only knew thanks to the recent Dr. Doom and the Masters of Evil mini series.

I want to like this book, but I don't. I think it's Cornell's orst comics work, and the art by Brooks is pretty bad, particularly with Executioner and Melter looking exactly the same. It made the first issue very confusing.

I want to like this book, but I don't. I think it's Cornell's orst comics work, and the art by Brooks is pretty bad, particularly with Executioner and Melter looking exactly the same. It made the first issue very confusing.

Agreed, I couldn't believe it was written by the same guy who wrote Captain Britian.

This is crap.

Latest posts

Back