Ultimate Spider-Man vs. The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon

Well I am. All that is irrelevant, Robbie was black back 60s, Shang is a guest star, not a supporting cast member, ditto with Fury, let leaves Robbie as the only legit example and that was the case back in the 60s.

How many non students in general have we seen in Mid-Town High?

Well why wasn't done in USM in the first place?

Fury has more appearances than Liz Allen. He's not a guest star.

Furthermore, he has several relevant plot points to the series and a personal relationship with Peter. He's usually (ever?) not on the cover when he's in the issue.

Bendis was probably more focused on writing the comic then re-imagining people as different races. It would be nice, but I don't think that it makes the cartoon 'better' because they were more careful about race. It doesn't make or break which one I'd follow, because it's way background details.

Umm... Ok...

If Loeb ends USM with the rest of the UU....
Peter Parker of the new Universe shall be "black" and no-one will ever have any trouble with the race issues again...

We already got an Indian Peter anyway...
( --Pavitr Prabhakar-- )

Spectacular.

It's just consistently entertaining, while Ultimate has it's highs and lows.

I do give Ultimate props for coming up with some of the ideas used in Spectacular. (Eddie Brock as Peter's childhood friend, namely.)

What has a better take on a modernized Spider-Man mythos, Ultimate Spider-Man or the specular spider-man cartoon?

The "modernized" part of the question make me answer Ultimate Spider-Man, by a landslide.

For me, The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon didn't really modernize anything, it took known stories and known characters from (mostly) the beginning of Spider-Man and adapted them, there isn't really anything new. Of course they successfully merged some characters and created bigger connections between all the characters, but it doesn't ring "modernized" to me, just "better than the original". Plus I think we owe to Ultimate Spider-Man the reintroduction of Gwen Stacy as a big player in the cartoon, the new story for Eddie Brack and the introduction of Kong. The introduction of the last character still puzzles me, especially since Flash is closer to his 616 incarnation : in USM, Kong got all the good part of Flash's character while Flash himself is a jerk and get even deeper in his jerk attitude as the series go on.

But the Ultimate Spider-Man changed many things and feel more like a modernized version of Spider-Man. Two things especially :

--- the best example I can think of is Peter's job. No more pictures for the Buggle, something that I always thought a little bit silly, he worked as a webmaster for their site. Not as glamour as before, but still way better than his friends' jobs!
--- the whole secret identity thing. In USM, Peter has a lot more trouble to keep his identity a secret. How hard would it really be for people to guess it's him when so many clues hint at it? Plus it fits better with the overall universe.

Plus there is the character of Aunt May, who feels a lot modernized, same for Gwen Stacy.

Latest posts

Back