Comic Book Pitch Extravaganza

I had an idea for a story involving Two-Face.

Some hotshot lawyer gets sick and tired of Arkham villains getting away scot free using the insanity defense, so he starts pushing to have one of them given the death penalty. The instanity defense only works if the defendant does not understand the difference between right and wrong. And who would be a better scapegoat then Two-Face, a prominent villain who does right and wrong based on the flip of a coin. Thing is, the lawyer is getting help from Harvey Dent.

This is just a vague idea. I'd need to go reread that one article about the insanity defense.

It has recently occured to me that as bad as Loeb's Hulk run is, it's so popular that it can't be reasonably ignored. So I had an idea for a story about Rick Jones getting over his traumatic transformation into an Abomination ripoff and retaking his place in the Marvel Universe.

First, chalk up Rick's mindless rage to trauma from the transformation. Second, have him reestablish contact with his family and/or the Loners. They won't really have much impact on the rest of the story, but they'll remind the reader Rick had before Loeb came along.

Rick escpaes from the military trying to track him down, and formulates a plan to take down Red Hulk. Rick's been working with the Hulk for years, and he knows that if you want to take him down, you don't face him in a straight-up fight. You calm him down until he's passive and harmless. Applying this logic to Red Hulk, he goes to one of Bruce's old labs and sets a trap.

After luring Red Hulk to the lab, Rick hits him with a pilfered hypnosis device from Ringmaster to make him susceptible and winded, then plays recordings of ocean waves to make him sleepy. Maybe he shows him a momento from his past, but that's unlikely since that'll blow the "mystery." Depending on what editorial or Loeb wants, Red Hulk is either captured or manages to escpae with wounded pride, but the experience is enough for Rick to regain his confidence and start using his new Abomination powers for good.

Again, this is just a rough draft of an idea.

So I'm reading the Hound of the Baskervilles today, and two things hit me

A) House of House M.D. is pretty much entirely based off Sherlock Holmes (House/Holmes, Wilson/Watson, there addresses are the same, vicadin use/cocaine use)

then B) I figured another famous medical man is based off of Holmes himself: Doctor Stephen Strange, some research into the Sanctum Sanctorum's address cemented it for me (177A Bleeker street compared to 221B Baker Street). 177 and 221 are almost mirror images of each other, A instead of B, and Bleeker is very similar to Baker. Especially couple with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's ideological shift towards spiritualism after the death of his son, Dr. Strange must be inspired largely after said writers works.

Now why don't more writers take more homage from this? fear of stepping on Dr. Who's toes?

Now with Dr. Stranges recent fall from grace it would be an ideal set-up to conjure up a Mystically inclined Detective Story.

Naturally the story would be Narrated by Wong, as the apprentice/side-kick, the Watson to Strange's Holmes, you would follow Wong's narrative trying to solve the case for yourself before Wong does, only to have Strange whip the carpet out from under you and reveal the truth of the matter.

I figure it would start with Wong walking the streets late at night, heading to what was once the Sanctum Sanctorum to consult with Stephen over their new place in the world, if Wong should stay by Strange's side, or go and offer his services to Brother Voodoo, or strike out on his own. He enter's the ominously lit building, the confines of wich are shrouded in incense smoke. Strange asks Wong "were you followed?" Wong responds "No master, I made sure I was not followed", Strange counters "Really, then why prey tell would Dr. Michael Morbius be hiding in the shadows upon the ceiling" Wong casts his eyes sky-ward.

Falling to the ground Morbius makes his entrance "Pardon my intrusion Stephen, I wished to approach you privately after your apprentice here leaves for the night" his ghastly appearence startles Wong, but does not shake Strange. Strange replies "It is quite alright Master Morbius, I get few visitors these days following my loss of title" Strange's face lightens "I would offer you a drink, but I'm afraid I don't have anything that might quench your thirsts, unless Wong here would oblige". Wong reaches for his dagger and Morbius says "It is more than a generous offer, but I would have to refuse" , Wong relaxes and Strange replies "It was a joke, the both of you need to lighten up, now what brings you here Michael?"

Morbius stiffens up "Yes, yes, I've come to you because of the recent Disapearence of the young sorceror Ian McNee" Strange looking perplexed, paces about the sanctum, wong offers a reply "Well, a magician pulling a disapearring act is far from something to consult the former Sorceror Supreme for". Strange smirks, Morbius sighs, Wong says "I trust their is extenuating circumstances?" Morbius responds "Yes, you see Ian has made great strides in your common fields recently, acquiring the 4 cornerstones of creation, he's come to be dubbed "The British Dr. Strange" or "Lord Strange" as you will" Wong jumps "Have the cornerstones vanished aswell?", Morbius "Yes, yes they have, "Do you suspect foul play?" Strange barks as he halts his pacing about the sanctum. "Yes, I do" Morbius says as his expression sinks in on itself.

Strange says "Okay Michael, If you would kindly return here tomorrow night, I might be able to help you on your little excursion here", Morbius obliges "Thank you very much Stephen, I will come again tomorrow" as he takes his leave through an open window.

Strange as he returns to his chair "Well, Wong, a missing sorceror, 4 lost artifacts of dire importance, and suspected foul play it's not much to go on, what do you think?". Wong pauses for a moment, contemplating "You are right, we don't know much, and I'm not sure if we should trust Morbius, but the cornerstone of creation are immensley important objects, should they fall into unkind hands... I'd hate to witness the consequence". Strange looks at Wong alight "So we have a case then?" Wong replies "I suppose we do", "Excellent! go gather your things, after we convene with Dr. Morbius We'll be heading to London" Strange emotes with a replenished vigor Wong has not seen since well before his master lost the title of Sorceror Supreme.

It's rough, and rushed I know, I might expand later, further tellings will include Strange analyzing McNee's flat, possible guests with MI13, the Midnight Sons and Brother Voodoo, McNee having visions of his captor while trapped in an undisclosed location, Morgana LeFay, Night Nurse, and a slew of mystic suspects that Strange and Wong will slowly eliminate on course to discover McNee's captor.

So I'm reading the Hound of the Baskervilles today, and two things hit me

A) House of House M.D. is pretty much entirely based off Sherlock Holmes (House/Holmes, Wilson/Watson, there addresses are the same, vicadin use/cocaine use)

then B) I figured another famous medical man is based off of Holmes himself: Doctor Stephen Strange, some research into the Sanctum Sanctorum's address cemented it for me (177A Bleeker street compared to 221B Baker Street). 177 and 221 are almost mirror images of each other, A instead of B, and Bleeker is very similar to Baker. Especially couple with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's ideological shift towards spiritualism after the death of his son, Dr. Strange must be inspired largely after said writers works.

Now why don't more writers take more homage from this? fear of stepping on Dr. Who's toes?

Now with Dr. Stranges recent fall from grace it would be an ideal set-up to conjure up a Mystically inclined Detective Story.

Naturally the story would be Narrated by Wong, as the apprentice/side-kick, the Watson to Strange's Holmes, you would follow Wong's narrative trying to solve the case for yourself before Wong does, only to have Strange whip the carpet out from under you and reveal the truth of the matter.

I figure it would start with Wong walking the streets late at night, heading to what was once the Sanctum Sanctorum to consult with Stephen over their new place in the world, if Wong should stay by Strange's side, or go and offer his services to Brother Voodoo, or strike out on his own. He enter's the ominously lit building, the confines of wich are shrouded in incense smoke. Strange asks Wong "were you followed?" Wong responds "No master, I made sure I was not followed", Strange counters "Really, then why prey tell would Dr. Michael Morbius be hiding in the shadows upon the ceiling" Wong casts his eyes sky-ward.

Falling to the ground Morbius makes his entrance "Pardon my intrusion Stephen, I wished to approach you privately after your apprentice here leaves for the night" his ghastly appearence startles Wong, but does not shake Strange. Strange replies "It is quite alright Master Morbius, I get few visitors these days following my loss of title" Strange's face lightens "I would offer you a drink, but I'm afraid I don't have anything that might quench your thirsts, unless Wong here would oblige". Wong reaches for his dagger and Morbius says "It is more than a generous offer, but I would have to refuse" , Wong relaxes and Strange replies "It was a joke, the both of you need to lighten up, now what brings you here Michael?"

Morbius stiffens up "Yes, yes, I've come to you because of the recent Disapearence of the young sorceror Ian McNee" Strange looking perplexed, paces about the sanctum, wong offers a reply "Well, a magician pulling a disapearring act is far from something to consult the former Sorceror Supreme for". Strange smirks, Morbius sighs, Wong says "I trust their is extenuating circumstances?" Morbius responds "Yes, you see Ian has made great strides in your common fields recently, acquiring the 4 cornerstones of creation, he's come to be dubbed "The British Dr. Strange" or "Lord Strange" as you will" Wong jumps "Have the cornerstones vanished aswell?", Morbius "Yes, yes they have, "Do you suspect foul play?" Strange barks as he halts his pacing about the sanctum. "Yes, I do" Morbius says as his expression sinks in on itself.

Strange says "Okay Michael, If you would kindly return here tomorrow night, I might be able to help you on your little excursion here", Morbius obliges "Thank you very much Stephen, I will come again tomorrow" as he takes his leave through an open window.

Strange as he returns to his chair "Well, Wong, a missing sorceror, 4 lost artifacts of dire importance, and suspected foul play it's not much to go on, what do you think?". Wong pauses for a moment, contemplating "You are right, we don't know much, and I'm not sure if we should trust Morbius, but the cornerstone of creation are immensley important objects, should they fall into unkind hands... I'd hate to witness the consequence". Strange looks at Wong alight "So we have a case then?" Wong replies "I suppose we do", "Excellent! go gather your things, after we convene with Dr. Morbius We'll be heading to London" Strange emotes with a replenished vigor Wong has not seen since well before his master lost the title of Sorceror Supreme.

It's rough, and rushed I know, I might expand later, further tellings will include Strange analyzing McNee's flat, possible guests with MI13, the Midnight Sons and Brother Voodoo, McNee having visions of his captor while trapped in an undisclosed location, Morgana LeFay, Night Nurse, and a slew of mystic suspects that Strange and Wong will slowly eliminate on course to discover McNee's captor.

That's a cool pitch, and I can always endorse a new spin on Doc Strange. He's such a great character with such immense and unique potential, but he hasn't really had a good run since the beautiful Ditko days. It's not the direction I'd go with the character, but I approve.

Last edited:
kewl

I kinda want to finish that story, might re-write what I posted, and finish the rest in the fan-fic section

Last edited:
Man, this thread still belongs to me. It's basically just my own personal scratch pad, isn't it?

I have an absolutely ginormous idea on simmer right now, grafted from a couple of prose ideas I'm working on. It's a head-to-toe revamp of the Moon Knight character. At the heart of it is a unified theory for all the theo-mythological characters over at Marvel. It would tie together everything from the Valhallan gods to Mon Knight's Egyptian patrons, all the way down to the totemic characters like Black Panther, Baron Voodoo, and Puma. It would also purge so much silliness from the mythic stable of characters (i.e. Zohar. a super villain who uses the Kaballah to fly and shoot laser beams. What the ****?). In short, it's cooler than anything you've ever seen on the printed page.

Truth.

Holy ****, that sounds awesome!

What in god's name did I have in mind?

I had an idea awhile back for a story that severes the Phantom Riders connection to the Ghost Rider legacy, and links him to Moon Knight as a prior avatar of Khonshu instead

I think it would work alot better like that for some reason

I've decided I want to do a Ditko western. Possibly, in part, an adaptation of The Killers?

Last edited:
American Macabre: Purgatory Pakoras

I really like the Batman-Purgatory idea. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to use the 'people-friendly' approach to comic book art to cast creatively constructed realms such as Hell and Horror.

In fact, to add an addendum to the Batman-Purgatory idea, why not expand on Batman's focus on criminal insanity to posit that he is an unusual re-presentation of the redemption-focused iconic Victor Hugo literary character Jean Valjean (Les Miserables)?

Imagine that Batman (Bruce Wayne) grows up as Michael Myers, the fictional masked serial killer from the popular Halloween horror film franchise, and then has an incredible life-turning change of heart when he hesitates on one Halloween Eve killing spree from killing a child trick-or-treating and decides to become...Batman.

Gotham City now has a true Dark Knight protecting us from criminally insane super-ghouls such as Scarecrow (the masked fear toxin wielding maniac) who are (we hate to admit) deranged mirror images of Batman.

Imagine further that Gotham City is plagued by a new ghoul --- Scarecrow's younger brother, Leatherface (the fictional chainsaw-wielding cannibal from the popular Texas Chainsaw Massacre horror film franchise).

So now we have a gauntlet in which Michael Myers (who is now Batman) is contending with Leatherface (Scarecrow's younger brother). This makes for great criminal insanity comic book stylized storytelling, something taken right out of "Law & Order meets John Carpenter."

There's been a good deal of talk about a Michael Myers vs. Leatherface film (since the release of the cult favourite 2003 American horror-battle film Freddy vs. Jason). Plus, since the release of David Fincher's 1999 film Fight Club, people are talking about combativeness-themed and anarchism-themed film-making.

This opens doors for ideas about radically alternative Batman-origin storytelling. "Michael Myers becomes Batman and tackles Leatherface, a former patient and fragile younger brother of Dr. Jonathan Crane (Scarecrow)!"

We could argue that the new Deadpool (Marvel Comics) adapted Hollywood (USA) film has more people interested in 'eccentricity purgatory.'

:wink:

Jean Valjean (Les Miserables)

Leatherfaceentertainmentweekly.jpg

Latest posts

Back