Grant Morrison's Ultimate FF Concept

Langsta

Long before Millar and Bendis had been hired to ultimize Marvel's first family, a certain bald Scotsman named Grant Morrison was in talks to develop the Ultimate Fantastic Four. Unfortunately, he had a contract with DC, and the idea was shelved.

What was his take on the Ultimate FF? How much influence did his pitch/idea have on Millar and Bendis' UFF?

How do you think the UFF's origin would be different if Morrison had stayed with the concept? Would the UFF be stealing an experimental spacecraft, teleporting through parallel universes, or something else entirely?

I'm fascinated by "what could have been," and Grant Morrison is arguably the comic industry's most creative mind, so....

Discuss.

Last edited:
Long before Millar and Bendis had been hired to ultimize Marvel's first family, a certain bald Scotsman named Grant Morrison was in talks to develop the Ultimate Fantastic Four. Unfortunately, he had a contract with DC, and the idea was shelved.

What was his take on the Ultimate FF? How much influence did his pitch/idea have on Millar and Bendis' UFF?

How do you think the UFF's origin would be different if Morrison had stayed with the concept? Would the UFF be stealing an experimental spacecraft, teleporting through parallel universes, or something else entirely?

I'm fascinated by "what could have been," and Grant Morrison is arguably the comic industry's most creative mind, so....

Discuss.

As I recall, his idea was to treat the UF4 like The Osbornes (remember, this was about 8 years ago now). Every one of their neighbours hated them and they were a huge media sensation. So I'm guessing he would've done them as this somewhat dysfunctional family who got into all kinds of crazy, yet public, situations.

As I recall, his idea was to treat the UF4 like The Osbornes (remember, this was about 8 years ago now). Every one of their neighbours hated them and they were a huge media sensation. So I'm guessing he would've done them as this somewhat dysfunctional family who got into all kinds of crazy, yet public, situations.

Awesome.

Are you being serious? Because I never heard anything about it and as I remember no one knew anything about it except for Joe Q. And he said that the idea was too good for Marvel to use or something like that.

I definitely recall something like this being said.

It's possible I confused Morrison with another writer, the F4 with another title, but as far as I can remember, at first people thought UF4's comic was going to be all CGI images (but that was just a rumour, I think), and the only piece of information I can recall from Morrison hi'self was "The Osbornes". This has been in my head for ages, and I didn't have to remotely think about it. I just remember reading it. Don't know where, and it's possible I'm wrong, but I'm certain that's what was said.

Wizard said Morrison's ideas for the Ultimate Universe were too brilliant to print.

So instead of Morrison, we get Loeb taking over.

Wizard said Morrison's ideas for the Ultimate Universe were too brilliant to print.

So instead of Morrison, we get Loeb taking over.

That's....depressing.

Loeb wrote Ultimate Power, Ultimates 3, and even included a sucktastic tribute to the Ultimates in his JLA run called the Maximums. I don't have very much hope for the future of the Ultimate universe.

Loeb wrote Ultimate Power, Ultimates 3, and even included a sucktastic tribute to the Ultimates in his JLA run called the Maximums.

Think you mean batman/superman, his run on that started off well, but that arc was just a load of crap.

I haven't read Morrisons 1234, but my friend who's a big F4 fan didn't like it, said it was written too much like new x-men. I imagine this might be how morrison would write UFF too.

The whole idea of Reed and Doom playing Chess with the universe or whatever is just awesome.

I think he called it Temporal Chess. It was awesome. I liked how each issue detailed one member of the F4 but tied all together seemlessly.

That' what it was. Thanks.

Has anyone else heard that about Morrison's ideas? Seriously Bass's post was the first detail I've heard of it.

Latest posts

Back