Neil Gaiman Book Discussion

Anybody else noticed the 100 page book, Odd and the Frost Giants? It was published recently for World Book Day, written specifically by Gaiman for this celebration. It follows a Norse lad named Odd, who finds himself tasked with helping the Norse gods, who have been turned into animals, to rid Asgard of frost giants. It's actually really great, Odd is an interesting lead; not as joyous and bouncy or rebellious and moody as most young leads tend to be, but an interesting combination of both, and his takes on Thor, Odin and Loki are familiar but still feel unique. The book also has a few beautiful illustrations from Mark Buckingham, which made the whole thing an absolute bargain at E2.50/£1. If you can get it in the States, I'd recommend picking it up, as it's definitely on par with the rest of his short stories.

Oh man, American gods is So good.

I worked out why I like Gaiman so much. He make me like things I wouldn't care too much about otherwise. Like I read Mr. Punch and then afterwards I was reading up loads of websites about Punch and judy shows - how the pupeteers are called professors, how the word slapstick actually came from punch's slapping stick...

.. and when I started reading american gods, I've started to learn coin tricks. I just read the conversation WEdnesday and Shadow have in the diner about their favourite grifts, and how you CAN con an honest John. I know I'll be looking up different grifts now.

Just started The Graveyard Book, which was released today.

It might be the best thing Neil Gaiman's ever written. It's brilliant and touching.

The title comes from The Jungle Book, which is about a young boy raised in the Jungle by its inhabitants (the animals and whatnot).

This is the story of a young boy who is raised in a Graveyard by ghosts and his guardian, Silas, who is almost definitely a vampire.

It's technically a kids novel, but it's very dark, but also very human. Basically, you get to see the kid grow up, and how his life is in this little world.

I am officially half-way through.

The title comes from The Jungle Book, which is about a young boy raised in the Jungle by its inhabitants (the animals and whatnot).

This is the story of a young boy who is raised in a Graveyard by ghosts and his guardian, Silas, who is almost definitely a vampire.

It's technically a kids novel, but it's very dark, but also very human. Basically, you get to see the kid grow up, and how his life is in this little world.

I am officially half-way through.

There was a story like that in one of his short stories books I think. It sounds familiar. I didn't know he had a new one.

This is all new material, but its not unfamiliar tropes for Gaiman to use.

Also: I finished it, and it's probably my favorite thing I've ever read by Gaiman. Beating Sandman, even.

Neil Gaiman is my favorite author, so I enjoy most of his work. I haven't read American Gods, but it's on my list. I just recently finished The Graveyard Book.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back