Spidey's arch nemesis (Spoilers)

I think this is premature... There's a lot of villians that Spidey has yet to meet in the UU. In a earlier Pod cast that I listen to, But Bendis did say the Jackle is on his way (well not in some many words he did, but he seriously hinted). And just because a villain is a joke in the MU, doesn't mean he can't be a real threat in the UU.

I think this is premature... There's a lot of villians that Spidey has yet to meet in the UU. In a earlier Pod cast that I listen to, But Bendis did say the Jackle is on his way (well not in some many words he did, but he seriously hinted). And just because a villain is a joke in the MU, doesn't mean he can't be a real threat in the UU.

Of course so far the reverse has been true, with Spidey B-list villains, Bendis has made them less threaten not more: Scorpion, Sandman, Vulture, Mysterio, are all throwaway characters, with the 616 versions of these characters being a billion times more interesting then their Ultimate counter parts. even a character like Electro is pretty flat, the 616 who characteristics beyond just greed and stupidity is more interesting, 616 Electro suffering from real mental problems: like low self esteem and trying to commit suicide, is more interesting then the flat characterization he gets in the UU.

Only four villains have been written well in the USM universe: Green Goblin, Kingpin, Dr. Octopus and Venom and Venom is the only character that is an actual improvement over his 616 counterpart, just because he is less convoluted and more consistent, though Ultimate venom is under exposed. I have been unimpressed with Bendis' handling of the B-list Spidey rogues

Frankly I hate Jackal, not because he was joke, but because he was a ****ing annoying Joker clone. I have serious bias against him, especially since there are far more interesting villains that Bendis has done nothing with. Why doesn't bendis improve one of the villains he already introduced, instead of just rushing to introduce more and more?

I don't see why Bendis insists on ultimizing characters no one likes, including himself. Look at ultimate carnage, everyone hated carnage and look what happened, his ultimate incarnation sucked as bad as 616 version, maybe worse because of the cheap way he killed off Gwen. When bendis doesnt like the character, he often puts no effort inot ultimizing him, which makes you wonder what the point was?

Last edited:
Bendis has made them less threaten not more: Scorpion, Sandman, Vulture, Mysterio

Seriously, Mysterio too??? You really shouldn't jump ahead of your time there :lol:

I disagree about Vulture too : he is not used a lot, but he was menacing in his only appearance. Same for Sandman, he was pretty damn impressive in the Ultimate Six.

Of course so far the reverse has been true, with Spidey B-list villains, Bendis has made them less threaten not more: Scorpion, Sandman, Vulture, Mysterio, are all throwaway characters, with the 616 versions of these characters being a billion times more interesting then their Ultimate counter parts. even a character like Electro is pretty flat, the 616 who characteristics beyond just greed and stupidity is more interesting, 616 Electro suffering from real mental problems: like low self esteem and trying to commit suicide, is more interesting then the flat characterization he gets in the UU.

And how long did it take for them to become interesting? How many decades was electro just a simple, throwaway villain until he was given depth by a competent writer in an effort to keep the character interesting and relevent? I'm not saying it's a legit way to go about these things, but classic comic book villains rarely have any depth to start out with, and only gain it over time. Ultimate Electro is far more interesting that 616 Electro was at his inception, and who knows? Maybe we'll get something out of him in future issues. It eventually happened with Shocker, after all.

Latest posts

Back