Kirkman leaves Ultimate X-Men...

Here's what Carey told me:

Luis - Glad you enjoyed #206. Man, wait until you see how this story ends! No, I won't be working on Ultimatum. I'm not sure how the timing will work, but I'm finishing out the Four Cubed arc, then doing one final arc which will probably be Earth-based (but I'm thinking not NYC-based). It may be that Ultimatum has been time-shifted slightly, but don't quote me on that...

Forgattable, not really. Mediore? Some parts, I'd agree. Just my thoughts.

Ok....mediocre would be a better phrase.

But seriously, I'm trying to think back on his run and all I can remember is how utterly bad Date Night, Magical, and Phoenix were.

Then I remember how good Cable was...until it seemed to just fall flat at the end. After that we got a mediocre mini arc where Nightcrawler went bat**** stalker....followed by this horribly mediocre current arc.

Aside from a few Cable issues and the Cliffhangers issue, the whole thing was just.......no--forgettable will do as I can't seem to remember anything from his run, but I can still remember Millar, Bendis, and BKV's run.

Meh....in retrospect, Kirkman's run had some highlights....but ultimately is was forgettable and mediocre.

Compared to BKV, definitely. But it's not really fair to compare him to BKV.

I thought he started off pretty good but it just got sort of boring. I haven't even read anything on the current arc. I tradewait this but unlike other books I don't even try to keep up with the regular issues. I don't feel like I'm missing much.

Meh....in retrospect, Kirkman's run had some highlights....but ultimately is was forgettable and mediocre.

I agree. It's odd because I enjoy pretty much everything else Kirkman writes. I wonder why he couldn't get UXM to be anywhere near as great as his other books are.

I am eager to see what happens to this title after he leaves, though.

Here's what Carey told me:

I just thought it would be funny to quote you quoting him saying 'don't quote me.'

(Hey - this post is more intelligent than U3 #1! :) )

So I just read through all of Kirkman's issues up to now.

It's okay. Nice atmosphere to it, but some of it was stupid. MAGICAL was particularly dumb.

I dunno - wasn't really interesting; save the Cable/Bishop stuff which did get me going "What will happen next?" but then, I'm a big fan of the Apocalypse/Sinister part of the X-Men mythos. And... it wasn't bad what's he's done. But it all feels... rushed.

People go into a scene, quickly hammer through the exposition, fight even quicker, and then get out of the scene. It feels very... orchestrated. Contrived. Things don't really follow. It's odd, because the Ultimate universe always had long, decompressed arcs, and a lot of the time, they were slow and dull. Yet, I think this whole Cable/Bishop/Apocalypse stuff might've been better served by being extended somewhat. If only to smooth the exposition.

But then - I'm sure they wanted Kirkman off ASAP for Singer... :roll:

It's crazy - ULTIMATE X-MEN has had the exact same pitfall happen to it that the 616 X-books had happen: no direction. The 616 X-Books continuously revolving roster of creative teams made the series feel very bitty and disparate, with one team going on a "let's go to the Shi'ar homeworld" vibe and another wanting to have Jubilee be a major star. UXM - ever since Bendis' run (which was crappy), has had that feeling. We had BKV's run which was enjoyable, and now Kirkman's, and each arc feels like it was made without the writer knowing he's getting another arc afterwards, and this continuous treading water seems to kick in.

I dunno if I'm explaining it well - it's just a vibe I get from the title. :|

So I just read through all of Kirkman's issues up to now.

It's okay. Nice atmosphere to it, but some of it was stupid. MAGICAL was particularly dumb.

I dunno - wasn't really interesting; save the Cable/Bishop stuff which did get me going "What will happen next?" but then, I'm a big fan of the Apocalypse/Sinister part of the X-Men mythos. And... it wasn't bad what's he's done. But it all feels... rushed.

People go into a scene, quickly hammer through the exposition, fight even quicker, and then get out of the scene. It feels very... orchestrated. Contrived. Things don't really follow. It's odd, because the Ultimate universe always had long, decompressed arcs, and a lot of the time, they were slow and dull. Yet, I think this whole Cable/Bishop/Apocalypse stuff might've been better served by being extended somewhat. If only to smooth the exposition.

But then - I'm sure they wanted Kirkman off ASAP for Singer... :roll:

It's crazy - ULTIMATE X-MEN has had the exact same pitfall happen to it that the 616 X-books had happen: no direction. The 616 X-Books continuously revolving roster of creative teams made the series feel very bitty and disparate, with one team going on a "let's go to the Shi'ar homeworld" vibe and another wanting to have Jubilee be a major star. UXM - ever since Bendis' run (which was crappy), has had that feeling. We had BKV's run which was enjoyable, and now Kirkman's, and each arc feels like it was made without the writer knowing he's getting another arc afterwards, and this continuous treading water seems to kick in.

I dunno if I'm explaining it well - it's just a vibe I get from the title. :|

I felt it wasn't rush until the Cable arc. It was good considering he was only standing in much longer than he originally intended to. Just lost the good tone it had for a while

Delayed in what way? Kirkman's on for another 3 months or there just won't be UXM for 3 months?

Latest posts

Back