Don't Read Ultimates 3

Oh wow, really? Now I feel as if Earth X has lost some of its luster.

No...the Earth X Asgardian "aliens" were much more deep than just being aliens...and the whole reason they had their powers was explained as well.

I also like having Wonder Man build up to be a stereotypical villain and then have him sell his tech. I always wondered why villains didn't just sell their goodies and forget about vengeance (who really seeks that anyway in real life?).

I also think getting the Ultimates back with SHIELD opens up the characters available for play. They have Vision, Falcon, Mahr Vehl, Betty, Fury, Hank, the money and power to hide Hulk, She-Hulk, Carol Danvers, and every SHIELD personnel you could want. Having them leave SHIELD cut the supporting cast down to nothing but Happy since Jarvis died.

Is my idea perfect? No. Just threw it together right here. I also thought about making the Ultimates into an allegory for the real life Blackwater Worldwide but it would take more thought to figure out what to do with them once you've made them basically amoral mercs who work for governments after all the events of Ultimates 2.

People do seek vengeance in real life, there are million blood feuds going on in the Middle East alone, it happens a lot in real life.

Its okay, but it seems a bit disjointed and kinda boring, sure in real life, random stuff just happens, but that often doesn't work in a medium like comics, you need a climax of some sort. now if say the Ultimate grim reaper was introduced and he stole his brother's tech and perhaps framed him, that could give the needed action and conflict that makes a good story.

Personally a story like I would have liked to see is one explaining the rise of meta human crime and terrorism, plus I would liked a D-list villain become a greater threat in the Ultimate Universe, like what Timm did with Clock King in BTAS. Which is why I would have had Ultimate egghead as a main villain, that may seem silly but here me out. Dr. Elias Starr is a SHIELD scientist who never gets any respect, due to his bald head and bookish nature, his co-workers have given the annoying nick name Egghead (which he hates and his head isn't actually shaped like an egg). His projects were always getting their funding cut and it seemed like even a wife beater like Pym got more respect at SHIELD then he did. So he starting stealing SHIELD's tech secrets and selling them to the highest bidder, which explains the rise in meta human crime and terrorism. This kind of story which allow the Ultimates to be independent, but also allow them to work with SHIELD.

Last edited:
Thinking about it, another thing that Loeb has totally ignored:

Humanity spends thousands of years fighting and debating about whose religion is true and real, but no one religion can ever "win" because no religion can ever produce definitive evidence that there god is the true god.

Then one day the Norse gods just come strolling in on a rainbow bridge to save America.

How could the confirmation of the existence of Asgard and the Norse gods not be the BIGGEST ****ING THING IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD THAT THROWS EVERY RELIGION INTO COMPLETE UPHEAVAL?

Remember, this isn't 616 or the DCU, where wacky stuff like this happens all the time. And yet Loeb doesn't even mention it.

What a brilliant observation, and I'm sorry I missed it the first time.

This is ABSOLUTELY what Ultimates 3 should have focused on. I have a feeling Jonathan Hickman, in particular, would handle a story like this amazingly.

In related news, a long time ago I received the Ultimates 3 hardcover as a gift by someone who just didn't know better. It sat on my shelf. I just sold it on eBay for $8. EIGHT DOLLARS. Can you believe I got $8 for it?! That's amazing.

Please, I don't want to hear about how I'm perpetuating whatever monstrosity I'm perpetuating by not burning this turd. I need some cash.

Latest posts

Back