Top Ten Science Fiction Movies of All Time

Dr.Strangefate

He Sees You When You're Sleeping. He Knows When Yo
This is spinning DIRECTLY OUT OF THE CHAT!

What Sci-Fi films do you consider to be the very best out there??

My List...

1. Aliens
2. Jurassic Park
3. The Matrix
4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
5. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
6. Men in Black
7. Minority Report
8. 12 Monkeys
9. Donnie Darko
10. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

I really wish I could put Serenity on this list, but it just isn't a great standalone movie... Galaxy Quest and Back to the Future would be in my next five... A Clockwork Orange would also be up there, but the truth is that I enjoy my top ten more than any other Sci-Fi movies... Even though I secretly know that Clockwork Orange is a better movie.

Let me also explain that to me, the Star Wars films are Fantasy... Space Fantasy, sure, but they have NO basis in Science, or even pseudoscience... Star Wars is as much Science Fiction as Lord of the Rings... but were I to count them... Empire and Star Wars would be in my top 10, definitely.

I'll work on justifying my choices later.

Last edited:
Erm... The Matrix is very good. Jurassic Park is also very good.

I don't watch many Sci-Fi movies.

2001: A Space Odyssey. I don't know whether that's good or bad, but I like it.

Last edited:
Clockwork Orange
Aliens
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
12 Monkeys

I seem to have stalled out at 4. I shall post later with more...

Let me also explain that to me, the Star Wars films are Fantasy... Space Fantasy, sure, but they have NO basis in Science, or even pseudoscience... Star Wars is as much Science Fiction as Lord of the Rings

Agreed that's why they won't be on my list.

1 Back to the future trilogy - IMO the perfect trillogy
2 The Matrix trilogy
3 Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
4 Jurassic Park 1 + 2
5 Terminator trilogy
6 Robocop trilogy
7 Planet of the Apes (Tim burton one)
8 E.T.
9 Flight of the Navigator
10 Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Over films that almost made it to my list :
  • Comic book movies BUT i felt If i added them the list would be a lot of comic book movies
  • Short Circuit
  • Demolition Man
  • The day after tommorow
  • Escape from New York
  • Blade Runner
  • The Fifth Element

Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace
Star Wars: Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones
Star Wars: Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith
Plan 9 From Outer Space
The Adventures of Pluto Nash
Rocket Man
Galactic Gigolo

Planet of the Apes (Tim burton one)
The day after tommorow

:shock:

really??

Also: Back to the Future isnt a perfect trilogy, the first one IS great... the second one is fun, but the third one is just flat out bad...

Last edited:

really??

Yes really

Also: Back to the Future isnt a perfect trilogy, the first one IS great... the second one is fun, but the third one is just flat out bad...

First I is great film so is II and III but like i said IMO it's the perfect trilogy , closest one to perfect trilogy other than BTTF is Indiana jones.

Agreed that's why they won't be on my list.

1 Back to the future trilogy - IMO the perfect trillogy
2 The Matrix trilogy
3 Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
4 Jurassic Park 1 + 2
5 Terminator trilogy
6 Robocop trilogy
7 Planet of the Apes (Tim burton one)
8 E.T.
9 Flight of the Navigator
10 Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Over films that almost made it to my list :
  • Comic book movies BUT i felt If i added them the list would be a lot of comic book movies
  • Short Circuit
  • Demolition Man
  • The day after tommorow
  • Escape from New York
  • Blade Runner
  • The Fifth Element

I'd like to put a requirement that you can't list a film set as a trilogy. If you like the trilogy that much then list all three movies, or the best one from them. Putting 3 movies in one spot is cheating.

And I'm adding the Original Planet of the apes to my list. 5 more movies to follow later.

I'd like to put a requirement that you can't list a film set as a trilogy. If you like the trilogy that much then list all three movies, or the best one from them. Putting 3 movies in one spot is cheating.

Totally with you there.

If i had done that my 10 would of been

1 back to the future
2 back to the future II
3 back to the future III
4 Matrix
5 Matrix Revolutions
6 Matrix Reloaded
7 Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
8 Jurassic park
9 lost world : jurassic park
10 terminator 2

See how stupid that is? so I stand my original list

Yes, I do see how stupid... oooh, you mean the format... my mistake. :wink:

Hey at least my list doesn't have men in black. Which while fun should never be in any top ten unless it's top ten will smith movies :p

oh another worth mentioning but really sci fi but kind of is = Truman Show

Last edited:
Hey at least my list doesn't have men in black. Which while fun should never be in any top ten unless it's top ten will smith movies :p

oh another worth mentioning but really sci fi but kind of is = Truman Show

Truman Show really isn't Sci Fi at all.

Truman Show really isn't Sci Fi at all.

yeah that's why i said kind of is considering the advanced hidden cameras , working town , moon control center , weather simulators ect.... but yeah it's not really sci fi

Like Joss Whedon, I believe that the fundamental moral topography of Jurassic Park is wrong. What kind of science fiction has an 'all-knowing dinosaur' that eats only bad people?

Like Joss Whedon, I believe that the fundamental moral topography of Jurassic Park is wrong. What kind of science fiction has an 'all-knowing dinosaur' that eats only bad people?

I can't believe I had never actually considered it that way before...

And it seems really obvious, with just a little thought.

Anyway, I'm going to stretch the definition of "sci-fi" to its logical allowable limit with my list:

1. Donnie Darko
2. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
4. I :heart: Huckabees
5. Pi
6. Pleasantville (if you accept BttF as sci-fi, this should count as well, right?)
7. Children of Men
8. 12 Monkeys
9. Blade Runner
10. Metropolis (80s re-edit with Tangerine Dream soundtrack)

Yeah, I know -- mostly recent picks. I am one of those sad folks who believes that *gasp* sci-fi movies have actually become more interesting and entertaining, as the genre (and technological possibilities) broaden and grow.

Please note also that I have never seen What The Bleep Do We Know? and The Science of Sleep, but from what I know of those films, I suspect either one may eventually end up on this list, in a future version.

Yes! someone else mentioned the awsomeness that is Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

:lol:

I'm not very good at coming up with these things, but I think Serenity counts as a scifi movie, or maybe the 1986 The Fly. Also: Klaatu barada nikto!

I forgot about Jurassic Park in chat last night.

After much deliberation, my list would be:

1. Back to the Future
2. Jurassic Park
3. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
4. The Matrix
5. Blade Runner
6. The Fifth Element
7. Aliens
8. The Terminator
9. Twelve Monkeys
10. Total Recall

Just like DSF, I love A Clockwork Orange, but I enjoy these films more on a surface level. In terms of quality, I think it beats everything up to #5. Then again, it's barely even Science Fiction. I'm also tempted to replace Total Recall with 28 Days Later.

Honorable mention for The Chronicles of Riddick, but again, that's more fantasy than sci-fi.

If Frequency counted, that'd also be in my Top-5, but it doesn't really have an actual sci-fi aspect. It's more akin to magic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back