• Star Trek: Insurrection

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Star Trek: Nemesis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Galaxy Quest

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

Hellsbuttmonkey

What Star Trek film do people prefer? Mine would be First Contact for general great filmage, and also The Voyage Home for pure entertainment, comedy, and Kirk/Spock/Bones nostalga...

Even if I know it's not the best my favourite is either

A) Generations

or b) The Wrath of Khan

Generations for the passing of the torch from Kirk to Picard.

The Wrath of Khan for spock's death.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!

I gotta admit, I'm not a fan of Trek, but the first two films were great just on the Sci Fi genre. I mean, they had it all.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!​

I hate you, you beat me to it.

Last edited:
First Contact followed by Undiscovered Country due to awesome Bones McCoy moments on the prison planet.

Last edited:
Although the first Trek thing I ever saw was Generations in the cinema and thus, I'm a big DS9 and TNG baby...

There's no discussion for me. The best Star Trek films are definately The Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country. Great villains, plot, and everything else. Two fantastic films.

Wrath of Khan and ...er...um... the one with Picard VS the Borg...First Contact maybe (YIKES!)... *S* Although I also have great affection for seeing Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon... *S* and Christopher Plummer as well.

For me, both Star Trek and Star Wars tap into a vein of science fiction which, to many, probably seems very dated today... and I am not nearly eloquent enough to neatly capture it here. Best stab - when I was growing up, I read a lot of "B level" 1950s and 1960s sci fi in which it was just a given that at some point, all sorts of average Joes would be cruisng around out there in space. Speed of light be damned, atmospheric and gravity differences be damned, we would all be "out there" mixing with all sorts of alien races in cantinas and space markets and.. well, you get the picture. Just enough technology to make the whole thing seem ever so slightly maybe kinda possible maybe... and on to the fun.

Okay, I am not giving either ST or SW enough credit when I put it that way, I know. But for me, that was and is a big part of the appeal. The ROMANCE of exploration, grand scale, "what if", etc.

KHAN, with all its glorious scenery chewing and ferocious overacting is just plain FUN, and an interesting story to boot... and at the time for fans of the franchise, it had a real emotional KICK to it.

Shadow

It's that emotional kick. Sci-fi tends to be too intellectual and/or fake. These films (ironically, with worse special effects) are more emotional and real than their contemporary counterparts.

Really, any of them but Motion Picture, Nemesis and Insurrection are about on a similar level. Those three are the worst.

I prefer First Contact, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country and Wrath of Khan, though not necessarily in that order.

Definitely First Contact. It has everything a Star Trek film should have, and it's pretty much the whole reason I got into Star Trek in the first place. My favourite Star Trek scene ever is the scene at the end of First Contact where Zephram Cochran and the Vulcan shake hands. Classic.

I also quite like Final Frontier and I think it's very under-rated. The plot stinks, but the interaction between the characters is spot-on, especially when they're singing around the campfire.

Motion Picture isn't great, but it has the best soundtrack of any of the films.

Wrath of Khan
is really over-rated and it has easily the worst soundtrack, I think.

Search for Spock is quite good, especially when Kirk breaks down after the death of his son.

The Voyage Home is great, even though a lot of it is just comedy.

Undiscovered Country is really good, but at that point, the crew was just far too old.

Insurrection is just a two-hour TNG episode and a really good one at that. There's no real point to the film, but Riker and Troi get together, not to mention, Riker gets one of the coolest Trek lines ever:

"We're through running from these bastards!" I. Love. That. Line.

Nemesis isn't particularly good, but the battle is probably the best of any of the battles.

Ugh.... none.

Have you even seen any of the Trek movies? I wasn't aware that you were into Trek.

Definitely First Contact. It has everything a Star Trek film should have, and it's pretty much the whole reason I got into Star Trek in the first place. My favourite Star Trek scene ever is the scene at the end of First Contact where Zephram Cochran and the Vulcan shake hands. Classic.

It's definately one of the best. I still prefer II and VI, but First Contact is still good.

I also quite like Final Frontier and I think it's very under-rated. The plot stinks, but the interaction between the characters is spot-on, especially when they're singing around the campfire.

I totally agree. The ending sucks, but I really like it. Sybok is cool.

Wrath of Khan[/I] is really over-rated and it has easily the worst soundtrack, I think.

BOOO! Khan is superb.

Search for Spock is quite good, especially when Kirk breaks down after the death of his son.

I like the bit where he misses his chair. Great piece of acting. Seriously. It's really well done.

The Voyage Home is great, even though a lot of it is just comedy.

It's a really nice respite after II and III. There's lots of Trek shows where they go to contemporary Earth and have hijinx, and this is definately the best of that trope. It's really, really entertaining.

Undiscovered Country is really good, but at that point, the crew was just far too old.

So? Old people are in charge of military vessels all the time. There isn't much in the way of physical stunts. And it's mentioned repeatedly that this is it for them. I don't see it as a detraction at all.

Insurrection is just a two-hour TNG episode and a really good one at that. There's no real point to the film, but Riker and Troi get together, not to mention, Riker gets one of the coolest Trek lines ever:

"We're through running from these bastards!" I. Love. That. Line.

:lol: Yeah, Insurrection just doesn't go far enough. It's too tv-movie-of-the-week. But Ru'afo is a pretty cool villain. If Riker had said that line but instead of talking about Son'a ships it had been Federation ships and we had a big internal Federation brouhaha - that would've been wicked.

Or a film about the Dominion war. Either would've been good.

Nemesis isn't particularly good, but the battle is probably the best of any of the battles.

It's weird you say that - Nemesis' finale is essentially the finale of II and VI put together. The took the 'submarine' element of Star Trek II in that they're fighting in a nebula and it's about maneuvering into optimal positions, whilst at the same time replacing the Genesis device with the Thaleron radiation emitter, and even a main character makes the ultimate sacrifice in the engine core to save everyone. It also took VI's finale in that it's a siege battle; they're protecting a planet, so no running away, the idea of a cloaked ship, and the timely reinforcement - the Excalibur becomes the Valdore. This isn't to say it's 'bad', but rather, somewhat 'safe'. It's a safe sequel as they're kinda copying a formula. The stuff they did add - the 'mirror' stuff of Shinzon and B-4 were not that good BUT they really did the whole hog to make it as exciting as they could like the Argo chase and what not. I really liked it, but I think it's not one of the really good 'uns. I think it's under-rated though, like Final Frontier.

Something that does get me - Picard, or rather Patrick Stewart - if you look at it, there's a subtext that just screams that Picard is looking to go out in a moment of glory. His recklessness, his casual acceptance of his demise... I love it. It just feels to me like Picard doesn't want to make it through this film, which is why it was so surprising for me that he didn't die. I don't know if you saw that (I don't know if it's even actually THERE - it is though, for me).

Also, I added a poll. You can vote for more than one if you must. Ta-da!

Last edited:
Have you even seen any of the Trek movies? I wasn't aware that you were into Trek.

I'm not, really. Hence the "Ugh..... none".

But I did enjoy watching TNG with my dad as a small child and I've seen a couple of the films. They just all seem so hokey to me. I don't hate them or anything, but they're not my bag at all.

I didn't realize Galaxy Quest was on the list until after I voted. :cry:

I didn't realize until you just said it. Totally voting for it. I'd put Galaxy Quest in my Top-30 films of All Time.

Latest posts

Back