Questions and Advice

Ultimate Houde

UC's Resident Genetic Recombinator
I have questions, and seek advice, and I figure anyone with out of comics questions can ask them here.

First off, the easy one. I'm a guy who likes bright clothes, yellow, orange, lime green, and with my no-longer-able to hide balding hairstyle I have going, I decided to wear hats. Now, I have already found a yellow and orange hat to wear, both Nike cause the brand can stand up, but I am unable to find a Lime Green one with a black logo. I don't know what's wrong, but I can't find it anywhere, either at the store or on the internet. Some help with finding that would be nice.

Also, I wish to purchase a laptop computer this summer. I only want this computer to write with, write as in stories, comics, those sort of things. I'm wondering what sort of laptop would be good for that type of use.

As for the laptop, I'd go with a Toshiba. It's a good, reliable brand. Unless you want to self-assemble...and self-assembling laptops is really hard.

You're screwed in the hat department, I looked for an entire two minutes and couldn't find a thing.

Check out eastbay.com, they have a ton of nike hats, some green, but nothing I would call lime.

I have worn hats pretty much everyday since the fifth grade, that way when I go bald, I wont even notice.

Last edited:
No idea what to say on the hat thing.

Laptop, get a Macbook, they've just gotten a nice little upgrade and the nice thing is, you can run OSX, Linux and Windows on them.

Laptop, get a Macbook, they've just gotten a nice little upgrade and the nice thing is, you can run OSX, Linux and Windows on them.

nooooo.jpg

Do not want?

Seriously, what's with the mac hatin?

Oh, I could go on for hours about why I hate everything Apple. But for the purpose of the thread, I'll keep it more on topic; I'd assume that you use a mac because you do a lot of digital artwork. And that's great. But for Houde, who says that he just needs typing and (presumably) internet access, a PC would be cheaper.

And now-a-days you can run any OS on any machine.

Not legally.

To run OSX on a PC you're violating Apple's ToS, and installing Vista on a PowerPC machine violates Microsoft's anti-emulation ToS.

Also, OSX has some quirks about support for different motherboards, like being able to run on a Windows computer but not recognizing at all and/or improperly supporting parts like the onboard sound, onboard LAN, and SATA hard drives. I also believe AMD computers require a special hacked/adjusted version of OSX to even install or run at all, even before you factor in your motherboard's quirks.

Windows on a Mac... is just as unstable and finicky as Windows on a PC. Superior hardware + inferior OS = same BSoDs.

Last edited:
Okay you win.

Houde, good luck with anything you purchase.

Oh, I could go on for hours about why I hate everything Apple. But for the purpose of the thread, I'll keep it more on topic; I'd assume that you use a mac because you do a lot of digital artwork. And that's great. But for Houde, who says that he just needs typing and (presumably) internet access, a PC would be cheaper.

Macs are also MUCH less prone to spyware and viruses. OS X runs faster and smoother than both XP and Vista. And hey - if you have a license you can LEGALLY run XP or Vista on the Intel Macs anyway.

But they are more expensive. If money is an object, I'd go with a Toshiba.

I actually bought a Gateway laptop a few months ago and was impressed...Gateway has come a long way. It runs fast and is not loaded up with junk software - 2 huge complaints I had when I was running the IS dep't at my previous job. Gateway and Compaq were 2 brands I would not buy.

I also would not buy HPs. Their support is terrible and their products are worse.

The cheapest way to go is probably Dell. My friend bought a Dell laptop about a year ago and is happy with it.

Blah blah blah, Mac's don't get viruses. They do if they're running Windows. OSX is a terrible operating system. Yeah, if you're a fourteen year old girl who thinks her iPod is the greatest thing in the world and find the shiny white laptop pretty, then go for it. Waste away your money on a macbook. However, don't plan on customizing anything or even doing any complex operations. But at least you can have a little boost in self esteem when you see those nifty "I'm a mac and I'm a PC" commercials.

If you're typing and using the intraweb, go for the PC. Trust me. I'm like, a Sophomore in high school. That makes me teh smartness.

But don't buy a Dell. Just on principle, go with a Gateway or Toshiba.

The cheapest way to go is probably Dell. My friend bought a Dell laptop about a year ago and is happy with it.
Dell's are cheap and fairly reliable. But they're often quite heavy.

Will it put my legs to sleep?

And Wade's right about internet access, it would need that, but basically just for coming here.

Bollocks, no one can find the damn hat....

Not legally.

To run OSX on a PC you're violating Apple's ToS, and installing Vista on a PowerPC machine violates Microsoft's anti-emulation ToS.
If late 20th century software terms of service remain fundamentally the same as they are now in the 21st century, then I think that's not 'illegal' per se. Violating the EULA/TOS merely makes you exempt from things like warranty or seeking legal action for damage done to your device or files.

However, lately the EULAs have been written in such a way that the software developer and publisher has been slowly exempting themselves from ANY liability. Simply put, even if you used software on the hardware it was intended for, there's always something in the terms of service/EULA that says the company's not liable for damages ANYWAY.

Honestly, Houde? If you're looking to buy a Mac, then listen to E or Skotti. If you want a PC, I'd go with a Toshiba. Other brands are fine, though. I'd stay away from Dell, but that's just me.

Latest posts

Back