Ultimate Spider-Man 2006: A Year In Review

Gemini

this thread is just like my "Ultimate X-Men Year in review" thread but for USM

well two wednesday's ago the last issue of ultimate spider-man of 2006 was released, since we always post our thoughts for single issue's after they've been released, i thought we should post our thoughts on the entire year now that 2006 is over for ultimate spider-man

2006 was not a small year for the ultimate spider-man (issue's 89-103 and Annual #2), we've had the last issue of silver sable, deadpool, morbius, The Annual, and the clone saga, the issue's were miss after miss, and the arc's were sub-par at bes, but for a whole year this series did horribley

We had the reveal of who the Vulture is, Peter Saved the X-Men from "Deadpool" on krakoa, Petey had his second confrontation with vampire's, a hint towards the future of daredevil and moon knight, we had 5 clones pop up, the return of gwen and carnage .... well in a way, Mj got turned into a twisted version of clifford the big red dog, and dr. octopus was magically turned into Magneto #2

not a good year in fact it was a train wreck, i'd give the year a F

how would you guys rate this year? and what's your outlook on 2007?

Last edited:
Re: Ultimate Spider-Man a Year In Review

You know, issue by issue I know this series isn't very good. In my heart, I know it. But having the whole year actually laid out in front of me like that. . .

I think 89 is probably the best issue in that whole bunch.

Though I did kind of like 102, though without it in front of me I can't exactly remember what I liked about it. But then. . . 103 happened.

Which really, would make a great t-shirt slogan.

103 Happens.

not a good year in fact it was a train wreck, i'd give the year a F

Seconded.

how would you guys rate this year? and what's your outlook on 2007?

I wish I could be naive enough to hope or think that he used up all his sucky ideas, but I know better. I have no reason to believe it will get any better.

USM this year made me realise that the UU isn't actually that good, and so I dropped most of it.

Yeah. Silver Sable was one of the worst things I had ever read, and I'm not even going to try Deadpool.

Bad. Bad. Bad.

The second Annual was pretty good, but that "Kingpin/Jean HerLastNameIsSpeltWeird are sleeping together" plot was obviously tacked on and both dehumanitized Kingpin and wasted panels.

And Clone Saga showed promise. Then things got crappy after maybe two issues.

F.

I don't even remember a single a thing about the annual except Jeanne DeWolfe died. Another pointless, stupid, wasted death. She didn't even do anything for a freakin' year before she died. Then they introduce the workin for/sleeping with Kingpin plot just for it to end with no impact in the whole series.

Ultimate Spider-Man has sucked for the last three years. This is nothing new.

This year gets a D-. Only reason it doesn't get an F is because Bendis, despite me hating most of what he's done lately, has shown he has balls. Oh and the Annual was decent.

Last edited:

2006 was all filler for Clone Saga, followed by a Clone Saga that didn't deserve the time and money put into it. As much as I hope #104 will kick unholy ***, nothing makes up for the lack of good stories leading up to it.

Wow, do I have unpopular opinions around here. See, the thing is, I like it it when the U.U. does things to violate what some might call "sacred caos" of 616 universe. This year did a good bit of that (Clone Saga, Deadool). Now, while I am not a big fan of Monster MJ, I do see some interesting storytelling potential that could go along there. I have really enjoyed Kitty and Peter. And I liked Ultimate Deadpool. That might have much to do with the fact I have never read a comic with 616 Deapool in it in my life, and everything I know about Deadpool has yet to make me fall in love with him like so many seem to be.

That said, I think Silver Sable and Morbius did feel rather filler-like.

High Point of the Year for me: The hint at Ultimate Marvel Knights, and Bendis getting back to what Bendis does best.

Low Point of the Year for me: Octavious with Magneto powers? LAME.

Overall: D

Last edited:

With the exception of a few standout issues (keyword is issues---not arcs)....it ****ing sucked.

I mean it with a firey passion only rivaled by Dr.Doom and his affinity for speaking in 3rd person.

This year in USM has been the worst so far with out a doubt.

Next year could be better but with Bendis still on board it will continue to fizzle out.

As much as I like Bags the new art will be a nice change but there is only so much an artist can do to the plot lines that Bendis collects from the bottom of his toilet.

.....seriously where does he come up with some of this stuff?

My grade? C+

The title was lackluster this year in comparison to those before it. Generally, I felt as though there wasn't that "something" that kept me interested, whereas before I couldn't wait to get my next issue of Ultimate Spider-Man. With only a few spirts of that "something" in all of the issues we got this year, I feel like I'm giving this title the benefit of the doubt... I wanted so much for this title to be like it was before. Sadly, this won't be possible... At least until Bendis is removed from writing detail.

Actually, come to think of it there was a glaring problem with this year that I hope to God Bendis won't repeat. He pretty much revealed his plans for the entire year from the very beginning and it felt like we were just getting what we were promised... As opposed to good stories worth telling. As this year proved, there is a difference. Yeah, Bendis your new years resolution should be to keep your mouth shut! :)

D

There were some issues that saved it from failing and if it was an F, I would've dropped the title but I didn't. Ultimate Knights is a good reason to hang on, Ultimate Vulture was cool, some good characterizations every once and a while, but the rest was just awful.

Oh man. I'm scared to post my grade, for fear of.... well, y'know.

USM Grade: "Not a Bad Grade"

There. I said it.

B-.

Not that great, but it kept me entertained throughout the year. Jean DeWolfe was wasted, and the Doc Ock magnetism thing was an obvious deus ex machina regarding how he was going to get his arms back. But other than that, nothing major to complain about.

Last edited:

Oh man. I'm scared to post my grade, for fear of.... well, y'know.

USM Grade: "Not a Bad Grade"

There. I said it.

Its a witch!! Burn the witch!!!

I'll give USM a D. Deadpool was the start of a slippery slope, when the ruined the good name of the Merc with a Mouth. And to end the year with Doctor Octomagnetopus wasn't good...

Before reviewing this year as a whole, I was sure to take into account all of the important factors, and I carefully reread all of the issues to come out so far, and went through them with such precision that I believe that every plot point and device has been thouroghly examined. And, let me tell you, I was ready to give this year an F, until I noticed one, very important detail. There is an entire splash page of naked Gwen Stacy.

Therefor, F+

Latest posts

Back