Anyone Computer Savvy?

Gideon Stargrave

I know that this question is best directed at at Technology forum. As it has been. Many times. However, I'm still wondering if anyone here can help.

Recently on one of my computers (Self-assembled) I've been getting an error message when I try to boot windows.

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or Corrupt:

\Windows\System32\System"

I've already tried to run the windows repair sequence, and I'd rather not have to reformat my hard drive. If anyone has had this problem before, or has an inkling of a solution, their help would be rewarded with a golden star.

Re: Anyone Computer Savy?

I know that this question is best directed at at Technology forum. As it has been. Many times. However, I'm still wondering if anyone here can help.

Recently on one of my computers (Self-assembled) I've been getting an error message when I try to boot windows.

I've already tried to run the windows repair sequence, and I'd rather not have to reformat my hard drive. If anyone has had this problem before, or has an inkling of a solution, their help would be rewarded with a golden star.

I already had this problem. I'm not an expert but I must say I just reformated
my HD. It was so sad...lost so many things....

Yeah um...the whole reason that I so desperately need this computer is because I wrote a 5,000 word paper on it, and it's due in a week. And I'm not re writing it. So reformating my hard drive would have to be a last resort.

Yeah um...the whole reason that I so desperately need this computer is because I wrote a 5,000 word paper on it, and it's due in a week. And I'm not re writing it. So reformating my hard drive would have to be a last resort.

:shock:

**** dude. I'd be freaking out right now. Bigtime.

This is me freaking out. I just drank like 30 cans of red bull and am currently in the process of yelling at my brother and making loud and boisterous claims about my achievements that simply arn't true.

Have you tried booting in DOS mode and saving the file to a floppy, then reformatting?

I have heard about this problem.
The cause can be a number of reasons:
  • Faulty hardware (graphic-card, RAM or something like that). It may seem strange but yes.
  • Your Hard-drive have faulty sectors.
  • A few instances when you have installed Antivirus or Firewall programs this problem has occurred.
  • A virus have deleted the files/maps.
  • The Registry has been corrupted
  • The files/maps are just plain corrupt and needs to be replaced.

I suggest that you start by checking your hardrive. Do this by restarting the machine in Recovery Console and run "chkdsk /r" and also "chkdsk /f".

I know you said that tried to repair it but I will post this anyway:
Try this:

First, to get into the Microsoft Windows recovery console you must have a Microsoft Windows CD, if your computer came with another restore or recovery cd it's possible the below steps my not apply to your CD. Place the Windows CD in your computer and boot from the CD.

* To repair a Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R.

After getting to the Microsoft Windows recovery console you will need to select the Windows installation you wish to log onto. Therefore press 1 if you wish to edit the primary Windows installation.

After selecting the installation you will be prompted for the administrator password, enter the password exactly as you would in Windows. If you do not know the Windows administrator password you cannot enter the recovery mode.

Finally after you have entered the password you will be at a MS-DOS prompt similar to the MS-DOS shell window you can get through Windows. However, you will also have access to many additional commands not found in standard MS-DOS mode.

Once you reach the prompt, please type: sfc /scannow. Once finished, remove the Windows CD and then reboot the machine. Compute as usual.

If this didn't work check this site

If none of these solutions the simpliest solution would be to copy the file you need and reformat the harddrive.

I asked my friend about this, he said the easiest way is to reformat and then if you want, hire a recovery tech to recover any lost information. It's a penny though.

I have heard about this problem.
The cause can be a number of reasons:
  • Faulty hardware (graphic-card, RAM or something like that). It may seem strange but yes.
  • Your Hard-drive have faulty sectors.
  • A few instances when you have installed Antivirus or Firewall programs this problem has occurred.
  • A virus have deleted the files/maps.
  • The Registry has been corrupted
  • The files/maps are just plain corrupt and needs to be replaced.

I suggest that you start by checking your hardrive. Do this by restarting the machine in Recovery Console and run "chkdsk /r" and also "chkdsk /f".

I know you said that tried to repair it but I will post this anyway:
Try this:

First, to get into the Microsoft Windows recovery console you must have a Microsoft Windows CD, if your computer came with another restore or recovery cd it's possible the below steps my not apply to your CD. Place the Windows CD in your computer and boot from the CD.

* To repair a Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R.

After getting to the Microsoft Windows recovery console you will need to select the Windows installation you wish to log onto. Therefore press 1 if you wish to edit the primary Windows installation.

After selecting the installation you will be prompted for the administrator password, enter the password exactly as you would in Windows. If you do not know the Windows administrator password you cannot enter the recovery mode.

Finally after you have entered the password you will be at a MS-DOS prompt similar to the MS-DOS shell window you can get through Windows. However, you will also have access to many additional commands not found in standard MS-DOS mode.

Once you reach the prompt, please type: sfc /scannow. Once finished, remove the Windows CD and then reboot the machine. Compute as usual.

If this didn't work check this site

If none of these solutions the simpliest solution would be to copy the file you need and reformat the harddrive.

Oh yeah, that's what I was gonna say.

Oh yeah, that's what I was gonna say.

Yeah. And that is exactly what I was planning to do. Except without the Hard drive reformating part. I don't have any of my files backed up.

Did you end up getting the file or did you lose it and fail miserably like a small dog?

Did you end up getting the file or did you lose it and fail miserably like a small dog?

I ended up giving up miserably, like the small dog you mentioned.

I've since almost returned my hard drive to it's former glory.

Reviving this old thread for the hope that someone can help me out with a different, much simpler(I'm hoping) computer problem.

I was taking a screenshot of a map today, and wanted to make my screen space as big as possible, so I temporarily turned off the Google and Yahoo searchbars and the URL adress bar.

And now I can't figure out how to make that last one comeback.

:?

I have to use a google search every time I want to go to a different site.

View > Toolbars > Navigation Toolbar

Latest posts

Back