Pride of Baghdad Discussion **Spoilers**

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
:shock:

Seeing as how most people who were interested in this got theirs on pre-order...they have to wait on it. So I'll probably be the only one posting in this. But anyways....

As much as I love BKV's other works......THIS is probably the best thing I've ever read by him. Yeah...better than Ex Machina. Better than Y. Better than Runaways.

BKV brings to life the actual "character" of the lions. Henrichon's beautiful art captures real expressions on the animals' faces without losing their animal characteristics. Both BKV and Henrichon work so well together that if it wasn't for Henrichon's wonderful art you'd forget that these are lions were reading about and not actual people.

There are so many ways to enjoy this book. One could just skim thru it barely reading and admire the pretty pictures....but you'd be missing out. You could also just read thru it as some animated nature documentary.....but again you'd be missing out. Missing out on an actual incredible story with so much subtext that it might require you to read it 2 or 3 times just to comprehend everything. Trying to understand the story from several different POVs.

This book is absolutely amazing and is a MUST for everyone.

5/5

I'm on a list for more orders. But don't know when it'll get in, but everyone I've talked to has highly recommended it, I guess I just gotta wait.........

Last edited:
Yeah I bought and read this on Thursday. Just a great book. I'll have to give it ten years before I agree with that whole 'one of the best graphic novels ever written, EVER' opinion, but I think this one's gonna make a lasting impression. I'm not ashamed to say I shed a couple of tears at the end.

The last couple of pages, with the prides sudden deaths were just harrowing. Zill finding contentment with the sunset moments before his death was pure cliche, but it never felt like it. It felt more like an example of why that kind of scene is used so often; because when it's done perfectly right, it can be an incredibly emotional scene.

And the final pair of double page spreads, showing the bird flying above the city accompanied by a couple of sentences..... so simple, but those words really, genuinely moved me. It summed up the overwhelming sadness, the utter, complete pointlessness of war more than anything else in the book.

Yeah, this was an incredible read.

The last couple of pages, with the prides sudden deaths were just harrowing. Zill finding contentment with the sunset moments before his death was pure cliche, but it never felt like it. It felt more like an example of why that kind of scene is used so often; because when it's done perfectly right, it can be an incredibly emotional scene.

So true. I never heard anything about this real story in the news....so I honestly had no clue as to how it was gonna end. But it ended just like that and you were hit with the emotional impact of a truck across your face.

I've come back from my holiday with this beautiful book under my arm.

I was holding out on whether or not to wait for this to come out in TPB, but gave in and bought it anyway. It was the first hardcover I've ever bought, and it was a great choice.

The story is great. The art is beautiful. The book is magnificent.

And the ending. The ending is amazing.

Read this.

Loved it. I wish it could've been drawn out a bit more but what can you do?

The art was great. The moments were nothing short of shocking almost everytime. The Bear fight, The rape, The end :( I think it's the first book I didn't spoil for myself. I knew it was coming but I couldn't help but cry out when it happened. The art was really great too. A lot of good stuff went into this book and moreso came out. It really just makes you consider a lot of things.

5/5

I was pissed off when I saw someone mention one of the lion's dying, but it still came as a complete shock when they were all killed. :(

I hope we see another OGN from this team.

I still think that given some time this'll go down as one of the great books everyone must read or have in their collection.

I was pissed off when I saw someone mention one of the lion's dying, but it still came as a complete shock when they were all killed. :(

I hope we see another OGN from this team.

Thank you ginny mcspoils. Now I cannot have to read this. JK. But yeah, forgot the spoiler tags up there and I didn't want anything to spoil the goodness. I've heard alot of good reviews and your thoughts will help alot on this decision to get it.

The manager at the comic store said three weeks ago that they'd be getting more in soon and yet, here I am without it.

If need be, I'll get it online.

Last edited:
I found it on ebay but is it worth $21.49?:shock: It is the only copy I could find. Somebody please let me know.....

Yes!!!!!! I just ordered it on amazon it will be mine in three to five days! On the down side my soul is worth less than $17.58 but at least I know what it's worth. I wonder if there is anyway to up the value? I just assumed it was worth more. Boy do I feel like an ***.

Latest posts

Back