The Loners

Sacred&Profane said:
I would much rather them go by the name Excelsior.
But, hey, sounds like a fun book:D
Yeah, so would I but apparently theres some legal dealies with Stan Lee preventing that...

...I just wanna see Darkhawk monthly...

Ultimate Houde said:
Yea, I am

you wanted us to list characters that would show up in Beyond, didn't you?
It'd be so cool... The Hood, Gravity, Kraven, and Darkhawk against Deathlok and Venom...

So is anyone else actually reading this? I just got issue #2 because the LCS in Carbondale never even got any copies after the first one.

Personally, I really like it so far and I'm just curious if I'm the only one.

I didn't realize there was a thread for this.

I keep geeking out over the continuity in it. The guy who wrote this actually read the previous runs with these characters. He knows who they are and has continued the arcs of their development that the other writers started. That's setting the bar kind of low, but he's probably one of the few people in comics doing that. Right now, he's focusing on introducing the characters, so it'll be interesting to see where the comic goes once he's done explaining the concept.

The art and coloring is great and I like the homage covers. This is just a really appealing comic and it does a great job of balancing continuity with being new-reader-friendly. There are only two issues out--pick it up!

I didn't realize there was a thread for this.
Took me a while to find it.
I keep geeking out over the continuity in it. The guy who wrote this actually read the previous runs with these characters. He knows who they are and has continued the arcs of their development that the other writers started. That's setting the bar kind of low, but he's probably one of the few people in comics doing that. Right now, he's focusing on introducing the characters, so it'll be interesting to see where the comic goes once he's done explaining the concept.

The art and coloring is great and I like the homage covers. This is just a really appealing comic and it does a great job of balancing continuity with being new-reader-friendly. There are only two issues out--pick it up!
Agreed on all points. As far as the continuity thing goes, I noticed he was paying close attention to it and bringing up lots of old plot points. But I'm new to most of these characters (except their appearence in Runaways). For example, issue 2 is about Ricochet. Coming in all I knew about Ricochet's past was 1) there is a guy named Ricochet. 2) he was in something called Slingers 3) that book was cancelled a long time ago.

Now I know plenty about this character. And better yet, the story was engaging and well written. I encourage everyone to pick up this book.

MWoF said:
Carbondale? Where you from again?
Chicago, but I go to SIUC during the year.

Last edited:
I'm so loving this book.

my only two complaints; 1) I hate the name Hollow, she's Penance dammit! 2) Pearson's only doing the covers. Someone please give this guy a monthly.

I know almost nothing about most of the characters in this book. So the detailed expose into their pasts work great for me. The details of continuity don't play in heavy with me. But judging by all the reactions of everyone here---it's golden and pleases me.

The writing is damn fine and the art is just perfect. It's got that right balance of youthful vibrance...but the lining is dark and jagged. It gives off a young jaded feel......which just happens to coincide with the book.

Call me cuckoo-bananas.......but I like this book more than Whedon's run on Runaways. Cebulski has done filler issues on Runaways before......and after reading this book---I wouldn't mind one bit if he took over Runaways after Whedon departs.

And the covers...... :heart:.

I know almost nothing about most of the characters in this book. So the detailed expose into their pasts work great for me. The details of continuity don't play in heavy with me. But judging by all the reactions of everyone here---it's golden and pleases me.

The writing is damn fine and the art is just perfect. It's got that right balance of youthful vibrance...but the lining is dark and jagged. It gives off a young jaded feel......which just happens to coincide with the book.

Call me cuckoo-bananas.......but I like this book more than Whedon's run on Runaways. Cebulski has done filler issues on Runaways before......and after reading this book---I wouldn't mind one bit if he took over Runaways after Whedon departs.

And the covers...... :heart:.
I concur on all parts. Especially letting Cebulski take over Runaways after Whedon is done.

I keep geeking out over the continuity in it. The guy who wrote this actually read the previous runs with these characters. He knows who they are and has continued the arcs of their development that the other writers started. That's setting the bar kind of low, but he's probably one of the few people in comics doing that.
Actually I think that's very legitimate praise.

I mean sure, sometimes you'd rather have a super awesome comic, but sometimes it gets tiring to see characters get 'relaunched' over and over in a weird state of 'previous continuity counts but not but sorta but oh what the hey' (which incidentally seemed to happen a lot more in DC a few years ago) instead of writers trying to account for SPECIFIC things that the previous writers did (as opposed to a vaguely defined thing they call 'GENERAL respect for what was done before').

#3 was actually pretty average compared to the first 2 issues. But with that said...it's still better than a LOT of the other crap out there.

I think more than anything it's the art that draws me to this book. There's some damn fine writing here, but in the end I love the art. It just has the perfect tone for this book.

I'm seriously wondering if the mini will be turned into an ongoing under a new name? Marvel has a tendency to do that with a lot of their minis.

Yeah...I like this book more than Whedon's Runaways. There. I said it.

I've only read #1 that a friend let me borrow, so I might just get the TPB when it comes out. It was greatly written and I liked the art a lot.

I just realized five minutes ago that this is a limited series.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Everybody, buy this book. It continues to kick ***. I want to see these characters developed in an ongoing.

Latest posts

Back