Recommended TV series'

Fuzzy Birds

Hello there,
I'm quite an avid fan of cinema, but I've pretty much got all the movies I want on DVD, so I've started to turn my attention to series'. Serieses? Serii? Ahem.
In the last two months I've received one, two, three payrises (count 'em), so I can finally start buying some slightly expensive box sets.
I already own:
Battlestar Galactica (2004); mini series, series 1
Black Books; series 1
Dead Like Me; series 1
Family Guy; series 1, 2, 3
Firefly; series 1
Lost; series 1
Peep Show; series 1
Scrubs; series 1, 2, 3
Spaced; series 1, 2

(My parents also own:
24; series 1-4.
The Shield; series 1)

Each series I love, and I will definitely buy series two of Battlestar Galactica and Lost, and maybe of Dead Like Me too. I wish they still made Firefly :(

Anywho, I've decided to buy one or two series a month for the next few months, and so far, these are the ones I've narrowed it down to:

Arrested Development (going for Eur 25 on amazon.co.uk); I've heard lots of good stuff about this show, but I'm more a fan of genre shows, as opposed to sitcoms. Still, I hear it's about as good as sitcoms get so, maybe....
Carnivale (Eur 30): the concept and style looks great, and I've read some excellent reviews. I'm pretty much decided on this one.
Six Feet Under; I've found series 1 to 5 collected in one box set for a ridiculously low Eur 120, and I'm very tempted to get it, but I've never seen it, and as I said I'm not usually one for plain sitcoms/dramas. It's a risk to get them all at once, but each series individually is Eur 50! Thinking about it.
Wonderfalls (Eur 25); I've heard nothing but praise for this cancelled show, and it sounds superb, I'm all over this as soon as I get paid.
The Wire; I hear it's a 'one story for one series' type show, so I hope it's not another 24?
The 4400; I'm still on the line with this one, the idea sounds good, but I'm worried about the execution.

I'm looking for opinions on these shows, and recommendations for any others I may have missed.

Just so you know, I stongly hate, dislike or am simply bored of the following:
Friends
Will and Grace
Sex and the City
Ally McBeal
Desperate Housewives
Buffy
Angel
X Files
Simpsons

Any other ideas are welcome! Thanks!

Last edited:
Fuzzy Birds said:
Hello there,
I'm quite an avid fan of cinema, but I've pretty much got all the movies I want on DVD, so I've started to turn my attention to series'. Serieses? Serii? Ahem.
In the last two months I've received one, two, three payrises (count 'em), so I can finally start buying some slightly expensive box sets.
I already own:
Battlestar Galactica (2004); mini series, series 1
Black Books; series 1
Dead Like Me; series 1
Family Guy; series 1, 2, 3
Firefly; series 1
Lost; series 1
Peep Show; series 1
Scrubs; series 1, 2, 3
Spaced; series 1, 2

(My parents also own:
24; series 1-4.
The Shield; series 1)

Each series I love, and I will definitely buy series two of Battlestar Galactica and Lost, and maybe of Dead Like Me too. I wish they still made Firefly :(

All good choices.

Current On-going Shows:
The Shield - I'd recommend the other "Shield" DVDs as well.
My Name Is Earl - Sooooooo funny.
The Office - Even funnier.

Cancelled Shows:
The Flash - Pretty awesome when you think about the timeframe when it was made.
Arrested Development - The funniest/smartest sitcom in a LONG time. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

HBO Shows:
Deadwood - If you like westerns. It's a little more "realistic" western rather than something like "Tombstone".
Entourage - So great!!! Each episode is only 30 minutes...but they're so good that you wish they were longer.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Carnivale (Eur 30): the concept and style looks great, and I've read some excellent reviews. I'm pretty much decided on this one.

I can tell you now---its a VERY good show....but they cancelled the series and left a LOT of stuff unresolved. Season 2 should be out on DVD soon. But if you invest time into it...you might be disappointed.

Fuzzy Birds said:
The Wire; I hear it's a 'one story for one series' type show, so I hope it's not another 24?

Never seen it before....but now I'm intrigued.

Fuzzy Birds said:
The 4400; I'm still on the line with this one, the idea sounds good, but I'm worried about the execution..

I just found this boring.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Just so you know, I stongly hate, dislike or am simply bored of the following:
Friends
Will and Grace
Sex and the City
Ally McBeal
Desperate Housewives
Buffy
Angel
X Files

Any other ideas are welcome! Thanks!

Oh man do I know what you mean. I mean don't get me wrong....I am entertained by Buffy....or I should say I was a few years ago when it was pretty fun to catch the series in syndication...but now they bore me. Except the musical episode...that's always fun to watch. Anyways...

All of the other shows on that list are completely boring and just not entertaining. X-Files made me wanna slit my wrist and bleed all over everything. That way cleaning it up would give me something to do other than watch that show.

Yeah I was interested in My Name Is Earl as well. I think Jason Lee is hilarious.

I've got the Office (UK) series 1 on VHS somewhere. It is good, but I'm a little sick of it. As for the US version, I do like Steve Carrell, but that's maybe not enough for me to watch a remake of a show I'm not too keen on in the first place.

I'm not sure about Deadwood. Not too keen on westerns

From what I've heard about the Wire, the first series (at least) follows a police unit trying to solve one murder. It's pretty critically acclaimed, but I'm not sure if I can wait an entire series just for what is essentially one story. I've had enough of that with 24.

The Wire, awesome programme. one of my fave all time shows.

Last edited:
I would say get the following shows (get every season):

Dawsons creek- not for everyone but I love it.
Frasier - Proberly THE funnyest show ever.
Roswell- very good.
New adventures of superman (Lois and clark) - classic
Smallville- best superman live action EVER imo
Futurerama - Better than simpsons , family guy and south park
Joey - friends spin off

Just so you know, Arrested Development is a sitcom in the loosest sense of the word. It really is one of the funniest TV shows ever. Buy it as soon as you can!

Stella - Comes out this September. Hysterically funny oddball humour, I suggest watching at least one episode on TV(if you can find it on) or on the net before buying the Season.

Frasier - Good call, sjmole. Frasier owns.

Band of Brothers (10-episode miniseries) - Best war drama ever, topping even Saving Private Ryan. Comes in a cool metal case that looks like a WWII rations tin(but still fits perfectly on your DVD shelf.;))

Last edited:
Supernatural - A creepy down to earth show about two brothers that hunt and kill all things supernatural. It just finished it first season with a box set on the way.

Invader Zim - One of the greatest and funniest shows in the history of ever. There are 3 volumes for this or a box set with them all.

Venture Bros - A hilarous rip at all things nerd.

I could give you great anime recommentions if you are interested.

The Office (The U.S. Version) -- Trust me, it's good. It's very, very good. (Season One is out now; Season 2 is coming in September.)
My Name Is Earl -- DVD is coming in September, one of the best new comedies.
Arrested Development -- BEST SHOW EVER. S1 and S2 are out now; S3 is out in August.

I would recommend:

Rescue Me

Boondooks

Cowboy Bebop

Sopranos

Scrubs

And the second season of Dead Like Me is also awesome…

Shame they cancelled that series…

I haven't really got into My Name Is Earl. Admittedly, only the first episode has started but...it wasn't funny.

I would say my current viewing habits are a bit scewed by the fact that not many good series are on hiatas right now.

Current:

Daily Show
Rescue Me
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The Soup
Venture Brothers
Daily Show
Colbert Report

Caduceus said:
I haven't really got into My Name Is Earl. Admittedly, only the first episode has started but...it wasn't funny.

You guys only just got 1st episode????? last week or week before was the last episode of 1st season.......???

Anyway i recommend:

The Office (US)
Arrested Development
And i really find 'two and a half men' funny, but i don't know if i would buy the season, i think watching it once a week, is like a treat

Shihad said:
You guys only just got 1st episode????? last week or week before was the last episode of 1st season.......???
Yeah, none of the grand total of 5 channels here could be bothered to pay the money it was demanding, since it's been such a success in the states, so it wasn't picked up.

What about the Dead Zone? It's one of Kings better characters and story ideas, and although I'm not too keen on the movie, I've been meaning to give the series a try... if it's any good. Both series are going reasonably cheap at my local shops.......

Caduceus said:
Yeah, none of the grand total of 5 channels here could be bothered to pay the money it was demanding, since it's been such a success in the states, so it wasn't picked up.
5 Channels?? That's just isn't enough for a decent selection. I've got basic cable, which sucks, and I get 70 channels. Admittedly, not many of them are worth watching, but at least we've got the selection. With digital cable or satellite television, you get about 400-500 channels. I guess it's just good old american excess.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Arrested Development (going for Eur 25 on amazon.co.uk); I've heard lots of good stuff about this show, but I'm more a fan of genre shows, as opposed to sitcoms. Still, I hear it's about as good as sitcoms get so, maybe....
Arrested Developement is incredible. I can't recommend it enough. One of funniest, smartest shows ever.

My main recommendations would be just about anything from [adult swim]:

Aqua Teen Hunger Force
The Boondocks
Harvey Birdman
Home Movies
Moral Orel
Robot Chicken
Sealab 2021
Squidbillies
Tom Goes to the Mayor
Venture Bros.

I, for one, enjoy just about everything [adult swim] does, but you'll want to check out as much of it as possible and decide what you like and what you don't. Oh, and a few of the shows I listed haven't come out on DVD yet, but probably will soon.

I really wished they would release [adult swim] shows on DVD here. I would definitely collect Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Sealab 2021.

MaxwellSmart said:
5 Channels?? That's just isn't enough for a decent selection. I've got basic cable, which sucks, and I get 70 channels. Admittedly, not many of them are worth watching, but at least we've got the selection. With digital cable or satellite television, you get about 400-500 channels. I guess it's just good old american excess.
Yeah, excess sounds about right. The prospect of actually watching enough tv to get any kind of entertainment value out of those disturbs me.

Latest posts

Back