No re-selled/used or rental games for PS3?

What do you think? Make your voice heard.

• I don't care. I'm 100% anti-Playstation 3. BURN SONY!

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • First the price and now this?! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • This won't be good but I can live with it.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Doesn't bother me. I don't buy used games OR rent them.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Sony is GOD! They can never be wrong. Join us or die!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fredrik Martinsson

Formerly known as Ultimate Warrior
From Games Radar:

Wednesday 24 May 2006
High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

Click the link to read more

What do you think?

That doesn't make any sense, because that is exactly what is in place now and always has been. When you buy a game you are basically paying a fee for a license to use software that belongs to the publishing company. You don't own the game - you own the disc but you do not have rights to anything on it. Same thing goes for books, music, etc.

I think someone is getting confused here and reporting non-news.

E said:
That doesn't make any sense, because that is exactly what is in place now and always has been. When you buy a game you are basically paying a fee for a license to use software that belongs to the publishing company. You don't own the game - you own the disc but you do not have rights to anything on it. Same thing goes for books, music, etc.

That's what I thought *shrugs*

E said:
What? Me or the site?

This news has had an impact on the gaming sites on the net so I suspect that there is something different with this than the now existing guidelines.

Well, legal issues aside, if this is right atall in that there won't be any used gmae sales or rental on PS3 titles then Sony's done shot themselves in the foot. Again.

They were doing so well too...

Well, looks like I'll be buying a Wii (as much as I can't stand that name....). I mean, that's just gay. I almost exclusively buy pre-owned games (because I'm cheap).

Dr_Draco said:
Well, looks like I'll be buying a Wii (as much as I can't stand that name....). I mean, that's just gay. I almost exclusively buy pre-owned games (because I'm cheap).
Yeah, my nintendo enthusiasm had pretty much died, but the wii is looking pretty good anymore....

If this true its bad but I can live with it as I know Ebay will still sell ps3 games. But I do not know why but something tell there will be pre-owned ps3 sections in shops

Ya know, at one point I actually wanted a PS3.

Sony is ****ing stupid. It's like the guy who makes way too much money and becomes a cocky son of a *****, only to waste all his money on something stupid and end up in the poor house. It's like Sony is trying to crash themselves straight into the ground.

Ultimate Warrior said:
What? Me or the site?

The site - not you.

Anyway, this is false. Sony has specifically denied it.

Dr_Draco said:

Nah, just smart. They work just as well, because stores can't sell you broken ****, and, yeah, it's the same thing. I bought the Godfather used and there is no problem. Now that there are such things as memory cards, used games are no problem... It's like they are brand new.

Well, I don't think I'll be even thinking about buying one until it gets under 200 dollars. So hello PS3 2008.

Synch said:
Wow, great follow-up E. Man, you should work for the Bugle.

Is this you being funny?

Whatever - the story is false.

Umm, no.
I was being serious. You made a good point, and you made it clear that the story was probably false. Now, whether i'm funny or not should be clear to you all at this point.

Because I'm not.

Synch said:
Umm, no.
I was being serious. You made a good point, and you made it clear that the story was probably false. Now, whether i'm funny or not should be clear to you all at this point.

Because I'm not.

OK. It's hard to read attitude; I was just asking. No harm no foul.

Anyway:

http://www.ps3land.com/article-392.php

Rumour debunked: Reselling PS3 games illegal?
by Bhavin Shah

We would like to clear up a misconception that has been spreading the web today.

It is being reported by various news sites that Sony has told retailers it will be illegal to sell second hand games, because consumers only buy a license to play the game, not to own it.

We would like to confirm that this is untrue. Yes, Sony does have a patent to do this (sort of, see below), but they have already come out and confirmed that PS3 games will be playable on any PS3 console.

In fact, these rumours were actually spread back in November last year. The issue was that Sony would create a dynamic DRM system so that each PS3 game would only play on one physical console (the first one you put it in). This would obviously mean rentals and reselling would no longer me possible.

It was then that Sony made a statement:

"This is false speculation and that PlayStation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console."

I have never went to an EB or whatever to buy a used game so this doesn't effect me.

Last edited:
Cheetatron said:
I have never went to an EB or whatever to buy a used game so this doesn't effect me.

It's hardly worth it. A lot of times they have the game for $5 less than buying it new, and a lot of times they have Blockbuster stickers on them and the books are all ripped and bent up, if you are lucky enough to get one that includes the book.

Latest posts

Back