Motor City Comic Con '06 - who's going?

E

Excelsior Club
From here it's probably just me (with my son), but I thought I'd ask.

It's this weekend in Novi. I'm going Saturday.

Anyone else?

Your taking your son? He just going to slow you down. How do you expect to unleash your full geekyness with a kid hanging onto one arm? It sure is a way to get him further into comic books. Are any big names going to be there?

If he does go, put a leash/bell/GPS tracker on him because I've heard a few story by dads who lost kids in public for like thiry minutes and it never comes across as a honest mistake.

Did you try and get press credentials through the site? It probably wouldn't work, but I've known people who have gotten it to work. My uncle writes for a motorcycle racing site and at FIM and AMA events he's gotten Press Passes. It does get consistantly rejected at international races, though.

MaxwellSmart said:
Your taking your son? He just going to slow you down. How do you expect to unleash your full geekyness with a kid hanging onto one arm? It sure is a way to get him further into comic books. Are any big names going to be there?

He went with me last year, so it's all good. I'll have a stroller for him. He loves this stuff so it will be fun. He already loves comics; he's always telling me, "read this X-Mans book". He loved seeing people walking around dressed up like Star Wars characters as well.

MCCC isn't a huge show, so I don't know about big names. Mike Deodato was on the list, but I don't know if he's still on. To be honest I don't really care about that; waiting in line for an autograph isn't my thing. Maybe I'll bring something for him to sign if he's going to be there.

They are going to have the original Batmobile - that's the big draw this year. :)

MaxwellSmart said:
Did you try and get press credentials through the site? It probably wouldn't work, but I've known people who have gotten it to work. My uncle writes for a motorcycle racing site and at FIM and AMA events he's gotten Press Passes. It does get consistantly rejected at international races, though.

I didn't bother trying. Even if it did work, I would feel like I would need to be reporting, which not only would make it seem like work, but I'm not sure there will be much to report on.

I'm going for one thing - to blow a bunch of cash on some heavily-discounted TPBs. There are a couple dealers with thousands of books and I have a list of stuff I'm looking for.

I met Mike Deodato - who is one of my favorite artists. He had some work from Sins Past (Amazing Spider-Man) for sale which was gorgeous but way out of my price range. I would have like a sketch but he was asking $40...I spent it on comics instead.

George Perez was there, and not a soul anywhere near him. I looked and he had a sign up that said he wasn't signing any more for the day because he was trying to finish some work. I was amazed, seeing as how it was about 12:30 and the show had only been going on for an hour (maybe 2; i don't remember what time it started). If he wasn't signing anything why even show up? If I was the promoter of that show I would have been pissed; you have to figure that was a significant draw.

thee great one said:
I'm not a real fan of autographs.

I want to see and buy cool crap.

Same here.

I feel like a dork asking some guy to sign an autograph.

Latest posts

Back