The Pride's influence in 616 (possible Runaways SPOILERS)

compound

I feel that The (original) Pride's role in the 616 universe has never properly been elaborated on. Yes, I know their influence was limited to California -- or possibly even Los Angeles alone -- but it still leaves some questions dangling.

Consider this: did the West Coast Avengers ever attempt to put a stop to the Pride's activities in the late 80s?

Were SHIELD ever aware of them?

Surely, Namor -- who claims jurisdiction over the entire seas -- would be aware of a bunch of powerful, hibernating cosmic giants like the Gibborim, if they set up a lair beneath the ocean floor. Wouldn't that be precisely the kind of threat to Atlantean security that he'd attempt to nip in the bud?

And now that Bendis has introduced this whole Illuminati concept, the Pride become even more difficult to ignore. Why? Because each family represents a threat to each of the members of the Illuminati, more or less e.g.

Dr. Strange --> The Minorus
Professor X --> The Hayes
Reed Richards --> The Steins (in as much as they are rival inventors)
Black Bolt --> The Deans (as interplanetary conquerors)

Much as I appreciate the self-contained nature of Runaways continuity, so far, I would really like to see this be addressed more fully.

I've always thought about that. I would love to see an Untold Tales of The Pride series.

As unbelieveable as it sounds though, I really think BKV was trying to emphasize how under the radar they were with superheroes and just how powerful that made them. I think it should and will be touched on at some point.

It seems as if all the villains know about The Pride, but the heroes don't.

I would have liked it if it was played up as if it was The Avengers vs. The Pride. Then each have their next generation, Young Avengers vs. The Runaways. I think compound said this before, in one of his crossover ideas.

They mentioned that they had a close call with VunderMan a few years back. They could have almost been found out then. I mean, it is apparent that they go painstaking amounts to keep themselves secret. If a villain squeeled, they'd kill him.

That being said, they could probably mindwipe people who found them out.

Ilike to think the Pride was at least partially responsible for the downfall of Force Works.

You know, they break into their base, beat the crap out of them, put an evil AI in Iron Man's suit, and blame it on Kang.

Ilike to think the Pride was at least partially responsible for the downfall of Force Works.

You know, they break into their base, beat the crap out of them, put an evil AI in Iron Man's suit, and blame it on Kang.
Best retcon ever.

Latest posts

Back