Bendis talks steps on planning Ultimate Clone Saga in Wizard Magazine.

the watcher

I guess this is as good of place as any to put this since the Clone Saga is where all these characters will appear. I just received my newest issue of Wizard and they had a brief interview with Brian M. Bendis. In the article Bendis talks about his plan for the Clone Saga giving us the five steps he's using for this.

Step 1. Don't Get Carried Away. It took me six issues of Ultimate Spider-Man to tell the story Amazing Fantasy #15 did in, like, 11 pages. In which case, retelling the 52 issues of the original Clone Saga would take me until 2069. But this will be eight issues, #97-104. Our story is radically different. I'll just flat out say it: If people are looking for a retelling of the Cone Saga,' they probably be disappointed. But I don't think there's a lot of people loking for that.

Step 2. Blind'em With Science. I love modern science parables, and cloning certainly is one for us There's a gigantic moral conundrum over it that's in the headlines every single day. So I did some research, figured out what cloning is, why people are cloning, what yo can do wrong with it and what's just about the worst thing you can ever imagine happening to Peter. That's our Clone Saga.

Step 3. Tie It All Together. A lot of secrets of Peter's life will come forward, and people who've hung in there for a long time-people who've read the Carnage arc and saw that Peter Parker blood sample being snuck out, people who saw the blood sample taken from Norman Osborn in the first arc-those people will be rewared for their patience.

Step 4. Know Where You're Going. Before it becomes a punchling, the original Clone Saga was a great idea. The overall theme, the idea of Peter fighting himself, worked. the premise worked, But they really didn't know where they were going. Ihad pieceds of this storyline in mind since the very beginning. I didn't have the clone aspect, but once that locked into the story...there's a lot of things that have been ready to go since before I wrote the fith issue, I'd say. You can't promise people things. You've just got to deliver when it's time. And now it's time.

Step 5. Make It An Ultimate Blowout. Scorpion, Tarantula, Spider-Girl, Spider-Woman-you'll be seeing Ultimate versions of thiese characters for the first time. You'll be seeing someone make their Ultimate appearance that you never thought you'd see. It completely breaks a taboo of all Spider-Man stories that have com before it. I had to talk [Editor] Ralph [Macchio] off the ledge on this one. And you'll be seeing the Fantastic Four, The X-Men and The Ultimates. They'll all make appearances and have active roles in trying to help Peter-or stop Peter-from whatever's going on.

Re: Vulture, Scorpion, Tarantuala, Spider-Woman all before #100? Bendis, are you nut

So I guess it's going to be the blood sample that Doc Ock took.

And there's going to be Spider-Girl AND Spider-Woman now...

Re: Vulture, Scorpion, Tarantuala, Spider-Woman all before #100? Bendis, are you nut

ProjectX2 said:
So I guess it's going to be the blood sample that Doc Ock took.

And there's going to be Spider-Girl AND Spider-Woman now...

Looks like it.

Re: Vulture, Scorpion, Tarantuala, Spider-Woman all before #100? Bendis, are you nuts?!?

the watcher said:
I guess this is as good of place as any to put this since the Clone Saga is where all these characters will appear. I just received my newest issue of Wizard and they had a brief interview with Brian M. Bendis. In the article Bendis talks about his plan for the Clone Saga giving us the five steps he's using for this.

Step 1. Don't Get Carried Away. It took me six issues of Ultimate Spider-Man to tell the story Amazing Fantasy #15 did in, like, 11 pages. In which case, retelling the 52 issues of the original Clone Saga would take me until 2069. But this will be eight issues, #97-104. Our story is radically different. I'll just flat out say it: If people are looking for a retelling of the Cone Saga,' they probably be disappointed. But I don't think there's a lot of people loking for that.

Step 2. Blind'em With Science. I love modern science parables, and cloning certainly is one for us There's a gigantic moral conundrum over it that's in the headlines every single day. So I did some research, figured out what cloning is, why people are cloning, what yo can do wrong with it and what's just about the worst thing you can ever imagine happening to Peter. That's our Clone Saga.

Step 3. Tie It All Together. A lot of secrets of Peter's life will come forward, and people who've hung in there for a long time-people who've read the Carnage arc and saw that Peter Parker blood sample being snuck out, people who saw the blood sample taken from Norman Osborn in the first arc-those people will be rewared for their patience.

Step 4. Know Where You're Going. Before it becomes a punchling, the original Clone Saga was a great idea. The overall theme, the idea of Peter fighting himself, worked. the premise worked, But they really didn't know where they were going. Ihad pieceds of this storyline in mind since the very beginning. I didn't have the clone aspect, but once that locked into the story...there's a lot of things that have been ready to go since before I wrote the fith issue, I'd say. You can't promise people things. You've just got to deliver when it's time. And now it's time.

Step 5. Make It An Ultimate Blowout. Scorpion, Tarantula, Spider-Girl, Spider-Woman-you'll be seeing Ultimate versions of thiese characters for the first time. You'll be seeing someone make their Ultimate appearance that you never thought you'd see. It completely breaks a taboo of all Spider-Man stories that have com before it. I had to talk [Editor] Ralph [Macchio] off the ledge on this one. And you'll be seeing the Fantastic Four, The X-Men and The Ultimates. They'll all make appearances and have active roles in trying to help Peter-or stop Peter-from whatever's going on.

Thanks Watcher. Good stuff there. I'm specifically interested in seeing the other teams help Peter. Especially since The Ultimates treated him like **** last time they saw him.

Re: Vulture, Scorpion, Tarantuala, Spider-Woman all before #100? Bendis, are you nuts?!?

Sounds cool, cant wait. "You'll be seeing someone make their Ultimate appearance that you never thought you'd see." That's got me interested, better not be just Ultimate Scarlet Spider

Ultimate Houde said:
Ultimate Muffin?

Bendis does like his tie-ins... Could this be the lead-in to the new ongoing?

Ultimate Howard the duck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bendis really is quite eloquent and this is why I find it hard to hate him.

But as much as he wants to deliver on his promises, and I'd wish he could... I've yet to see him deliver on anything. The only time he ever "delivers" is buy quickly resolving one problem and immediately setting up another one so there's never a climax.

I'd hope he pulls it off, but I doubt he's learned the lessons of his own mistakes, let alone those of others.

i agree with the post above...... i mean they always seem to say everything will be revealed, and everything will tie together, but usually, theres more questions then answers.
I just hope like everything isn't tied up in 1 page, i mean you have 4 new characters, a little bit of a back story would be nice, and then theres gona be the actual clone story, it just seems like alot, no wonder the original clone arc was like 52 issues

the watcher said:

Hmmm, thats funny. According to the solicits for July, The Clone Saga would only be 6 issues, running from #97-102. Could just be a mistake on the solicits, as I assume Bendis at least knows how many issues he's planning for the arc. I hope.

Just like I thought. Seems the blood samples which lead to the clone will be from one of those two sources...or both.

Cool to see we'll be seeing the rest of the Ultimate-verse playing a role in the story.

I dunno, but if it has anything to do with samples could ultimate beetle be involved?

Lithium said:
I dunno, but if it has anything to do with samples could ultimate beetle be involved?

Its possible, but unlikely, otherwise Bendis probably would've dropped his name along with Spider-Girl, Spider-Woman, Tarantula, Scorpion, etc.

On a related note, I wonder when (or if) Bendis will take up the storyline set forth in the game...or just leave it alone for a possible sequel. The latter seems to be the most likely.

DIrishB said:
Its possible, but unlikely, otherwise Bendis probably would've dropped his name along with Spider-Girl, Spider-Woman, Tarantula, Scorpion, etc.
He said these are characters we're gonna see for the first time, so Beetle wouldn't fit in that list.
Bendis said:
Scorpion, Tarantula, Spider-Girl, Spider-Woman-you'll be seeing Ultimate versions of thiese characters for the first time.
Of course this makes me wonder if Kitty's new costume was supposed to be S-Girl or if both S-Girl and S-Woman will make their first appearances in the Clone Saga.

Last edited:
vintsukka said:
He said these are characters we're gonna see for the first time, so Beetle wouldn't fit in that list.

It would if he's talking about in the comic...we've only seen Beetle in the game.

Of course this makes me wonder if Kitty's new costume was supposed to be S-Girl or if both S-Girl and S-Woman will make their first appearances in the Clone Saga.

I'm pretty sure she referred to herself (or Peter did) as Spider-Girl in the opening issue of the Deadpool arc. I know the solicit did for sure.

I like this interview for these reasons:

- Downplayed any fears about continuity problems between USM and UXM. Bendis probably knows what happens and is doing the best he can to keep from spoiling any revelations or changes that will happen during Kirkman's arcs. That maybe the reason why Rogue's acting strange in Deadpool, yet is only a background character. You can tell because Wolverine is not present in Deadpool, and they already have a brand new X-Jet as well, but it's great reinforcement for this.

- The small jab at Hitch and Millar regarding how long it is taking for Ultimates 2 to finish. It indicates that the rest of the Ultimate writers are expressing a hint of impatience since they have to wait for Ultimates 2 to conclude to move on. If you're disappointed that the Galactus trilogy feels like a side story since its events occurs before Ultimates 2, you know who to ***** about. :p

DIrishB said:
I'm pretty sure she referred to herself (or Peter did) as Spider-Girl in the opening issue of the Deadpool arc. I know the solicit did for sure.
I could be wrong, but I believe Peter brings it up as a potential name and she shoots it down. So we could end up with a mother-daughter pair or maybe Drew/MJ pair for Spider-Woman/Spider-Girl.

I'm guessing this Spider-Girl and Spider-Woman could be experiments resulting from Peter's blood.

Of course, if I were a mad scientist going for a super warrior, I'd pick a 6'4'' male athlete test subject instead of a girl or a woman.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back