Ultimate Fantastic Four #28 (Spoilers)

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Wow........the one of the best issues I've seen since Millar/Land took over.

The art...the writing...great!!!

Synopsis:
So we find a new world populated by superheroes. This is all thanks to Reed and the Gang.

After they warned their past selves of what the future held.....the old crew fixed the calculations and the Apple Teleporation experiment goes off without a hitch. What follows is Reed making contact with the Skrulls. The Skrulls give Earth a pill that will end disease, famine, etc.....all while unlocking the latent superpowers in everyone.

With all the new super-powered beings flying around...Earth looks for new leaders. Thor is elected President and Reed is his VP. Reed, Sue and Johnny all take the pills andunlock their respective powers (still the same). All but Ben. He's happy with just being human. In fact...everyone on the planet has taken the pill and Ben is the last normal human on Earth.

The Skrulls are on their way back to Earth to see the progress Earth has made in the last 18 months since they took the pills. Blah, blah, blah...big ceremony. The Skrull King (Super Skrull) is wearing a special armor for "protection". It allows him to mimic any metahumans powers for a thousand miles.

Later that evening the Skrulls are having a secret meeting. We find out that the pills have evil side-effects and this is all a ruse. The pills given to Earth for advancement is actually a routine that the Skrulls use to conquer planets across the galaxy. Sue is invisible and overhears the entire conversation.

Skrull King knows she is there and kills her with an optic blast thru her skull. Meanwhile, people begin to fall and decompose all around. When Reed and Thor find the Skrulls tp question what's happening (they still don't know they're being played).....they find the Skrulls along with Sue laying dead on the ground.......

I love the attention they gave Ben. I also love the twist of him being the only human left.

4/5

Decent issue. Can't really expound too much on it, as I was pretty lukewarm about it. The one thing which made the issue, and my day, for me, was the "Two years earlier" notation in reference to the teleportation accident scene. This validates the way I placed the early issues of UFF in 2002, with the current stories taking place in 2004. Its almost like Millar is using my timeline... ;)

I love me.

Congrats DIrishB. I wouldn't be surprised if they were useing your timeline.

So glad I can keep summaries limited today. I crammed a lot of books and even didn't read Hulk (because it wasn't there) and Daredevil :)shock: ... relax it's coming in the mail and I want to enjoy it)... I did read this.

I feel about the same way DIrishB does. Lukewarm. I liked it. It's a good arc but this was just a filler and honestly will only be as good as the arc as a whole is.

What I really enjoyed was Millar's jerking us around with the Skrull's intentions. We go into the issue assuming the Skrull are evil, then we see them as our allies. At this point when they said the Chitauri was a cell of criminal Skrulls I thought this is how I want to view them. I thought it was so cool and I got used to it real quickly. Then Millar's pulls another corner and The Skrull screw humanity. I really enjoyed it but it was definitely just a filler. Really enjoyed Ben's characterization again.

And we get it Sue doesn't go home but when everything is turned back to normal Sue will be there and fine as if nothing happened. The question remains... Super-Skrull - good guy or bad? Loved how they showed him arrive infront of Ben like that (I imagine that was right before we saw him arrive in the previous issue after they all had teleported.

3/5

TheManWithoutFear said:
Congrats DIrishB. I wouldn't be surprised if they were useing your timeline.

So glad I can keep summaries limited today. I crammed a lot of books and even didn't read Hulk (because it wasn't there) and Daredevil :)shock: ... relax it's coming in the mail and I want to enjoy it)... I did read this.

I feel about the same way DIrishB does. Lukewarm. I liked it. It's a good arc but this was just a filler and honestly will only be as good as the arc as a whole is.

What I really enjoyed was Millar's jerking us around with the Skrull's intentions. We go into the issue assuming the Skrull are evil, then we see them as our allies. At this point when they said the Chitauri was a cell of criminal Skrulls I thought this is how I want to view them. I thought it was so cool and I got used to it real quickly. Then Millar's pulls another corner and The Skrull screw humanity. I really enjoyed it but it was definitely just a filler. Really enjoyed Ben's characterization again.

And we get it Sue doesn't go home but when everything is turned back to normal Sue will be there and fine as if nothing happened. The question remains... Super-Skrull - good guy or bad? Loved how they showed him arrive infront of Ben like that (I imagine that was right before we saw him arrive in the previous issue after they all had teleported.

3/5

Buddy,Hulk and DD were both amazing.:D

I liked this issue.It was like a refresher of the last issue and good setup for the next.

4/5

So there's over six billion people on the face of the planet and exactly one (1) of them decides not to take a pill offered by some ugly creatures from another planet? Riiiight.

vintsukka said:
So there's over six billion people on the face of the planet and exactly one (1) of them decides not to take a pill offered by some ugly creatures from another planet? Riiiight.
Yeap. It's Ben and totally within his character. Fits perfectly without a problem.

I liked how he differentiated between Skrull and Chitauri - nice touch.

I think this arc is going to turn out to be pretty good overall. I thought it was kind of strange only one person didn't take the pill. Considering, there are people who think the government puts stuff in our water to control our minds.
I'm not saying they don't, but if they believe that why not believe there's a conspiracy behind the perfection pill. I'm kind of surprised Reed would be so blindly trusting of anyone, yet alone an alien race with a sketchy track record with humans. Was I the only one thinking bearware skrull bearing gifts from the start?

3/5

MaxwellSmart said:
I think this arc is going to turn out to be pretty good overall. I thought it was kind of strange only one person didn't take the pill. Considering, there are people who think the government puts stuff in our water to control our minds.
I'm not saying they don't, but if they believe that why not believe there's a conspiracy behind the perfection pill. I'm kind of surprised Reed would be so blindly trusting of anyone, yet alone an alien race with a sketchy track record with humans. Was I the only one thinking bearware skrull bearing gifts from the start?
That's pretty much what I was trying to say.

And another point I was thinking about... It says in the issue the pills "unlocked the latent super-genes" in people. So in the "normal" UU continuity when the FF (plus Doom) had the accident, it just unlocked their latent super-genes which just happened to be "earth, fire, water, air (and metal)". Until now there's been the feeling (like in 616) that the transformations that happened happened for a "reason", but this idea about everyone having a latent super-gene and these four (+1) just happening to have these kinds of genes ruins that idea. I mean, it's not like it's against continuity because it hasn't been explored before but I just don't like how it's said here.

Overall I think so far this is the weakest of Millar's three arcs and I'm pretty much just waiting for Carey's run to begin.

The Skrull/Chitauri mention was great, though.

Last edited:
MaxwellSmart said:
but if they believe that why not believe there's a conspiracy behind the perfection pill.

That crossed my mind too.

MaxwellSmart said:
I'm kind of surprised Reed would be so blindly trusting of anyone, yet alone an alien race with a sketchy track record with humans. Was I the only one thinking bearware skrull bearing gifts from the start?

No, you weren't, but think about this about Reed Richards - he also trusted a different version of him from another dimension without doing anything to make sure things were safe, and he also trusted an evil N-zone alien without doing anything to gauge how much of a threat he was, even when his non-scientific buddy told him that he had a bad feeling about it.

Ultimate Reed is a good person and as such I think he looks for the good in people, or rather assumes people are good until they do something bad. It's a nice contrast of this super genius scientist who is pretty naive when it comes to dealing with personalities or dangerous situations. I think it works well.

vintsukka said:
And another point I was thinking about... It says in the issue the pills "unlocked the latent super-genes" in people. So in the "normal" UU continuity when the FF (plus Doom) had the accident, it just unlocked their latent super-genes which just happened to be "earth, fire, water, air (and metal)". Until now there's been the feeling (like in 616) that the transformations that happened happened for a "reason", but this idea about everyone having a latent super-gene and these four (+1) just happening to have these kinds of genes ruins that idea. I mean, it's not like it's against continuity because it hasn't been explored before but I just don't like how it's said here.

Yes, but this is some kind of alternate reality or something; I wouldn't think too much of it.

I liked the not-so-subtle nod to Earth X. :D

E said:
Yes, but this is some kind of alternate reality or something; I wouldn't think too much of it.

I liked the not-so-subtle nod to Earth X. :D

i agree...first thing i thought of was Earth X...i don't think it takes anything away from the characters

vintsukka said:

Wow :evil: I didn't even think about that. Way to go Millar. :roll:

And E, all you can come up with is
Cmon...

TheManWithoutFear said:
And E, all you can come up with is
Cmon...

What?! All I am saying is that yes, the elemental aspect made the UFF special, but this isnt' the UFF. The elemental aspect wasn't used in 616 for a long time.

I thought it was stupid.

I knew the Skrulls were going to betray Earth as soon as their involvement in the rise of superheroes was explained. What's even stupider is Millar didn't actually show us the niceness of the Skrulls. If he had, their betrayal might have meant something - instead its the same nonsense I've seen countless times before. This is what drives me mad about this run. Millar kept saying how he thinks the Fantastic Four should be crowded with crazy ideas, and off-the-wall concepts, but each of his arcs has been a staggering cliche. The most clever thing he did (and this was good) was make Namor a prisoner of Atlantis. That and Thing being the only human on Earth. But the rest has been so... samey. Which is exactly what he's supposed to be avoiding.

Shame. He has written better than this.

This is the problem with mentioning Earth X: don't mention a better story. It just made me go, "Why aren't I reading Earth X?".

Also, I keep thinking the time-travelling Super-Skrull is going to be Ben.

Aaaand - the Skrulls ways of conquering planets is clever indeed. I like it. I also like the Skrull/Chitauri distinction.

The problem is that the Skrull/Chitauri distinction is obviously not true, given the Skrulls true intent. If it is true... why didn't the Chitauri use the super-pills to take over Earth in the first place? It seems much more effective than their original plan. Also, the Chitauri were being attacked from one end of the universe to the other - but they're now a small gang of criminals.

It clears it up only if the Skrulls were nice. But since they're evil too - I fail to see the distinction, nor why the Chitauri act the way that they did. It still doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Inconsistent.

In any case, the issue was really quite dull I found. So, this is a title I'm thinking of dropping until the new creative team come on board.

Bass said:
The problem is that the Skrull/Chitauri distinction is obviously not true, given the Skrulls true intent. If it is true... why didn't the Chitauri use the super-pills to take over Earth in the first place? It seems much more effective than their original plan. Also, the Chitauri were being attacked from one end of the universe to the other - but they're now a small gang of criminals.

**** guys!! Shut up!! You're killing this issue for me.

Latest posts

Back