DMZ [Vertigo]

nigma

written by Brian Wood
artwork by Riccardo Burchielli & Brian Wood
Ongoing series
Published by DC/Vertigo, 2005

In the near future, America's worst nightmare has come true. With military adventurism overseas bogging down the Army and National Guard, the U.S. government mistakenly neglects the very real threat of anti-establishment militias scattered across the 50 states. Like a sleeping giant, Middle America rises up and violently pushes it way to the shining seas, coming to a standstill at the line in the sand - Manhattan or, as the world now knows it, the DMZ.

Matty Roth, a naive young man and aspiring photojournalist, lands a dream gig following a veteran war journalist into the heart of the DMZ. Things soon go terribly wrong and Matty finds himself lost and alone in a world he's only seen on television. There, he is faced with a choice: try to find a way off the island, or make his career with an assignment most journalists would kill for. But can he survive in a war zone long enough to report the truth?

from Brain Woods site theres a blog for DMZ blog

Last edited:
now my thoughts

im really digging this series, it tells the tales of a warzone. the sides that you don't hear. that only a few people really know. at times i feel like this cuz i hear the same reports about warzone, while the media reports something else. theres not much more i can say about this, expect that this has passed up on 'Girls' on my must read list to 1.

and the one thing that i like most is just reading some of the artwork, its cool to see whats written.

Last edited:
I like it. I recommend it.

I like how it has a strange mix of being bombastically widescreen like a late 90s Wildstorm comic, but remaining distinctively Vertigo.

I like how it manages to steer clear of being didactic in illustrating what life would be in a place caught between the crossfire of two sides.

And it doesn't do that by trying to shock you or say, "Things are horrible!" and "We live in fear everyday!" but instead by detailing how everyday life would occur naturally under these circumstances.

I'd say more, but I only finished reading the first three issues yesterday and haven't had time to really digest it and pick it apart in my head.

i will be waiting to hear back, maybe soon if i get time i'll post up a synop of the last three issues for those of you that haven't read the issues yet.

is anyone else been keeping up with this?

cuz i have to say, this is really shaping up to be a good read, i've already got some people sold on tpb that comes out in late may, early june.

I haven't read issue 5 yet (Is it out? Last week? This week? Damn online comic buying) but I loved the practical side of things. Issue 4 with the central park zoo has been my favorite so far. People simply making due.

nigma said:
is anyone else been keeping up with this?

cuz i have to say, this is really shaping up to be a good read, i've already got some people sold on tpb that comes out in late may, early june.

I haven't, and I'm glad you bumped it because I keep meaning to ask about it and keep forgetting. I wasn't aware of this thread.

I like the premise...sounds interesting. I'll check it out and pick up the TPB if it's good.

I'm with E... Waiting to see how this might pan out in a trade.

I wasn't thrilled with the idea of him being on Manhattan as the official reporter... i thought the underground reporter working towards a story that may never run was going to be the premise of the book... I wasn't expecting him to have the option of escape so quickly.

most of the issues are self containted, a few will tie intogether. but as i read less and less of superbased comics...and more towards 'real-life'. i guess what i like most about this is the fact that it shows how people are still finding a way to live in a warzone.

and baxter, #5 is out, its about how Matt gets his badge stolen and his chase to hunt down the kid that stole it.

nigma said:
most of the issues are self containted, a few will tie intogether. but as i read less and less of superbased comics...and more towards 'real-life'. i guess what i like most about this is the fact that it shows how people are still finding a way to live in a warzone.

and baxter, #5 is out, its about how Matt gets his badge stolen and his chase to hunt down the kid that stole it.
Cool, looking forward to it.

Baxter said:
It shipped out yesterday along with the rest of the massive month of march. I should have them all by monday or tuesday.

i'll wait till then, don't want to spoil it for ya, maybe i'll start doing little reviews for these things. Maybe.

I would appreciate non-spoiler reviews/summaries.

i forgot about this..., So bare with me while i try to do a non-spoiler....

in the last issue you had Matt Come down with the DMZ BUG, and at the same time he was kidnapped by a group and shone a man he thought was dead, when the group released him, in his delusional state he wandered over to the jersey side of line, and was nabbed by the USA, and they wanted to send him back to spy, but Matts High profile Father said NO and Matts response was "when do i leave, so i can get out of his sight?" (or something like that). he was sent back over with new and better gear...or was he? is Matt starting to become one of them? read and find out.

does that work? or do we need a back story?

Just picked up the TPB.....and I'm 2 issues in. Damn do I love it.

It really does capture the vibe of being in a warzone. I've gone "downtown" before and the despot wasteland vibe is spot on. Although I can't really say whether or not the individuals living in these conditions feel the same way. The few locals I have come across have been friendly and understanding. They know we (soldiers) don't wanna be there anymore than they want us there.

This book is great.

I ordered it the other day...should be in next week.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm gonna read mine and return it along with the 2 Batman Hush TPBs next week to get my money back.

Latest posts

Back